Antifreeze leak...what do you think?

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just took the car out and got on it pretty good in 2nd

started to smell antifreeze immediately.

brought it back to the garage, looked under, and it was pouring out pretty rapidly from where the bottom of the engine block is, more towards the rear of the car...it was like a constant stream.

i cant really tell too much until i get it on a lift, but i'm fearing it could be head gasket. is it likely it could be something else?? the car temp did not rise at all. i'm praying its a hose of some sort

if it was a gasket, would it come out that rapidly, or would it be more of a drip?

anyone had a similar experience?

thanks for any input

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, you can tell a lot from the top after removing wiper arms and cowling...can then see the two hoses on the thermostat, and with a mirror, can see around the thermostat. Hope a hose.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hoping that it's a hose...just looked at a 95 last week with the hose on the left side of the thermostst rotted/clamp-cut nearly through. If you find a hose problem, can get OEM hose in a few days for a few bucks...BUT, if you hate hose changing as much as I do, call Roe Racing and ask them to overnight their silastic Gen I hose kit, with built in bleeder valve, as they will last a LOT longer than OEM...red hoses make a Gen I FASTER !!!

OP
OP
T

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 & Viper BAZ, you're right.

Finally got the car in and checked out by a mechanic.

Thermostat housing gasket. I'm gonna order all 3 new gaskets and a new thermostat while I'm at it.

He told me about 4 hours to replace it all. 15 mins for you? Hmmmm, anyone else done this?? How long should it take?

Nice thing is I dont need a lift, everything is up top, but there's barely any room to work with though.