Any demand for fiberglass aftermarket body panels ?

MakeItHappen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after regrettably selling my viper last year, i have been starting to look for another and can't get over the cost of body panels to repair a damaged one.

I met with an associate who does fiberglass molds today to check out his operation, and was wondering if there is any demand for say a $499 fender or a side sill rocker panel, or if time is better spent on focusing on a different part, or not at all ? Just something i'm looking into, and figure no better place to start then here !

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers do not have Fiberglass skins, Aluminum and composite and carbon fiber parts.

Bruce

OP
OP
M

MakeItHappen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm aware the side sills are currently aluminum, but i've seen the aftermarket ones out there for $750 or so a piece made of fiberglass.
Looking for feedback on if those make any sense ?

Would a 3/16" fiberglass quarter panel hold up to the driving of these cars, as compared to the current composite ?

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think many folks would be interested in at least side sills and even hoods (much more complex). Quality is key, with price point coming in a close second. A high-qaulity (OE fit and function, including insulation) side sill priced below $500 would be very popular. Might be a hard thing to accomplish with low sales volume.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a demand, but you're looking at a pretty low volume. As stated above, they key would be fit and finish. A cheaper fender that takes more bodywork to fit properly will cost more in the long run than a more expensive OEM that's ready to paint and install. If you also offered parts in carbon fiber your market would be larger, but working with carbon presents it's own set of problems.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm aware the side sills are currently aluminum, but i've seen the aftermarket ones out there for $750 or so a piece made of fiberglass.
Looking for feedback on if those make any sense ?

Would a 3/16" fiberglass quarter panel hold up to the driving of these cars, as compared to the current composite ?

I don't think strength would typically be a problem. The body panels on the car are largely just there for show (they all bolt on, so they can't be that structural). Not to mention the car is completely driveable without any of them installed. Not to say that you wouldn't want to them to stiff enough that they don't buckle if someone leans on them. Side sills would probably be the first big one people might appreciate. I know the going price on the gen 3 and 4's is up there a ways, probably gen 1 and 2 as well but I haven't priced them. The gen 1 and 2 hoods would probably be well accepted as well, but as mentioned I'm thinking that would be a tough part to make.

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id be more inclined to say that that there should be more aftermarket widened fenders, more agressive sills, and a much more aggressive front bumper

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a reason why the side sills are made out of aluminum. With the stock cats in place, the heat can get tremendous. Fibreglass side sills have been know to catch fire. TI think Vipair was making carbon fibre panels. Might want to cheak with him. I have OEM side sills. There are planty of parts around.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
make a kit to upgrade the cheeeeeesy gen 2 center console to gen 3 or higher, plus some quality door panel, the dash is fine although a glove box would be nice, or a really cool center console with a lighted plexi cover over a couple of sneaky pete nitrous bottles, maybe a gen 5 rear wing for a gen 2 gts, there was more stuff made for lowly fieros for f sakes

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or a small sculpted air scoop over the naca duct for speeds over 60 mph, or or or

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or integrated rear brake ducts a la Ferrari or a hood with extra ducting on the side like the supercharged range rovers

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and a fiberglass panel with a porthole type window or small split window in place of gen2 gts rear glass, or small wing for top of hatch glass or louvers or who knows, be creative, just no dolphins

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or window stanchions in aluminum instead of the crap plastic, or conversion to smooth stanchions with smooth handle in door instead

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or kick Chryslers ass for the new 11 speed auto tranny or even the new 8 speed auto, or factory twin turbo or supercharger upgrade

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there would be interest, but price and quality would be key.

I know fibreglass takes time to cure, if parts are pulled from the mould too soon they distort and can then be a PIA to fit, ok if you're a bodywork guy but for someone with little experience the quality would have to be spot on.

I would be interested in side sills as I intend to go side exit.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Theoretically any part made in carbon today could be made in fiberglass. The process and molds are pretty much all the same, just different materials. That being said, any part you make in fiberglass you could also potentially offer in carbon if the customer is willing to pay the upcharge for the materials.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have fiberglass side sills on my car. When you go to fiberglass side sills you have to use the factory insulation plus a insulation wrap that comes with the package. I have had them on my car for 5 years now with no problems at all. After a long highway run you can put your hand on the side sills and they are warm but not hot to the touch.
There is a reason why the side sills are made out of aluminum. With the stock cats in place, the heat can get tremendous. Fibreglass side sills have been know to catch fire. TI think Vipair was making carbon fibre panels. Might want to cheak with him. I have OEM side sills. There are planty of parts around.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know fibreglass takes time to cure, if parts are pulled from the mould too soon they distort and can then be a PIA to fit, ok if you're a bodywork guy but for someone with little experience the quality would have to be spot on.
We used to let parts sit in the mold for a week or so to help prevent that from happening, as well as post curing the parts after they were de-molded. There's another minor problem with side sills as well. Fiberglass, while generally though of as solid and rigid, will become slightly flexible at temps over 160°F or so. When I worked at the kit car place, we'd use heat lamps the reshape warped panels from other manufacturers. Without adequate heat insulation, the sills will warp over time from the heat and gravity.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You might be able to play with different resins and epoxies to help keep the panels from being as prone to warping at high temps, but you'd likely just be adding to the cost. I used to think that the only stuff you could use was the rather fragrant resin you get at the local hardware store. Took a composites class in college and we made some test panels with epoxy instead of resin. Smelled an awful lot like the glue my dad used to use in his model airplanes, so it brought back some memories. I'm guessing there's probably some high temp stuff on the market, but I have no idea what it might cost.

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We make our three styles of composite side pipe covers with custom resins...regular polyester resin does allow for more post curing during heat soak....yes, the recipe we use does cost more money per pound for the resin. Other things we have learned the hard way are: type of mat, part thickness, additional heat flange, reinforcement of specific areas for strength/warping...gravity happens!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Composites are really interesting I found from the classes I took. You can really do a lot of tailoring with them to suit the application. That being said, everything has it's limitations and challenges.