Any quick fix for curb damage to wheels?

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some minor damage to the passenger side wheels from rubbing against a curb and was wondering if there is any quick fix for it. The damage is pretty minimal so I can't see buying new wheels and thought that there must be a better route to go.

Thanks in advance.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same to a wheel on my 911. There is a guy in town (Atlanta) who fixes them. Fixed mine for about $100 and I could not tell the difference.

Rennsport (770) 992-9442

Good luck.
Roy

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Light sandpapering will smooth surface blemishes. Remember that you are sanding through the clear coat as well so reapply a coat when through. I wish I could remember the grits that I used but it's been awhile. Start with a medium fine grit and go to fine. It is possible to polish the metal to a higher finish that delivered from the factory so be careful you don't over polish.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was so obvious I forgot to include it but it is important. Before you go to the area that is damaged practice on the inside of the wheel rim first so that any goofs will be hidden. Remember that you don't want to reduce wall thickness, you are just checking how the sandpaper interacts with the aluminum to get your sanding pressure (light of course) dialed in. And just like on the outer rim reclear your practice area.

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got through doing all 4 of my '99 rims (about an hour a wheel). I started with a 340 grit wet-dry sand paper, then 400,then 600, then red compound, then white compound. The mirror finish, when you do this right, is nearly impossible to tell if it has clear coat on it or not. Now it's ready to re-clearcoat either with spray or brush-on from an auto parts store. Also, I used a smooth jewelers file to clean up a few deeper notches when the 340 grit was going too slow. I found the hardest part of getting this right was to "finish" each grit before going to the next. For example, if you get overly eager to get to the rubbing compound before you're done with the 600 grit you're going to waste a lot of time, or end up with a less than fine finish like "shiny scratches". Anyway, it's great therapy for when you get cranky after discovering or making dings in those beautiful wheels. Hope this helps.
You must be registered for see images