Any SRT Radio Problems

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had repeated electrical problems with their stock radios? Burned out speakers, woofers, head units??

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My radio and CD player died within the first 30 days of ownership. No problems since then (going on six months).

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my bass and treble sliders do wierd things.

While I think they actually 'work' fine...the display always shows "+2 treble" whether I'm adjusting bass or treble.

otherwise it works/sounds good

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My radio/ CD died in the first month but I rarely listened to it anyway... It also quit at 3K miles but that was because the engine seized. I'm sure when they put the engine back in it will sound great!

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My radio cut out occasionally loosing the clock setting.

They said it had a loose diode. I had it fixed just as it snowed, so I don't know if it really is fixed or not. I am hopeful it is. This was the only problem I've had in the first 6400 miles (driven in 6 months).

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None so far but then I only have 2300 miles and two months with it. I certainly don't expect to have any for the rest of this car's natural life!

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had many problems with this issue. After my 1st 3 went out, I told the dealer not to just replace it but to find out what the problem was. They said that they will put in a new one rather than the refurb units they have been giving me as replacements. I stressed to them that will not work, however they insisted on doing it. Sure enough it went out again. I wrote a letter to the dealership (Foothill Dodge/Chrysler/etc in Orange county CA) about my dissatisfaction with this issue (and everything else they did wrong like scratch my wheels)Service advisors and techs really need to listen to the customer. If a radio has been replaced THREE times don't ya think it may be something else???
What happens is the CD will go bad, eat my cds and the radio will work. At this point I will live with the just the radio. There aren’t many techs that can work on a viper well, however, if you find a good one, they usually don’t know much about the electrical system. It’s part of owning a viper.
John Naddour

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens is the CD will go bad, eat my cds and the radio will work. At this point I will live with the just the radio. There aren’t many techs that can work on a viper well, however, if you find a good one, they usually don’t know much about the electrical system. It’s part of owning a viper.

if it helps, you can use any 2003-2005 Chrysler radio in your car if it has the rounded faceplate. The RBB, RBK, RBQ, RBP, RAZ, RB1, and RB4 will all work properly. The 6-CD radio (RBQ) that's in your car is the same that is used across the entire Chrysler line. It's not a Viper specific issue.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[Shameless plug]

The RB-1 radios appear to be more reliable than the Stock RBQ. I have only had one complaint out of the multitudes of them that I have sold. RBQ's appear to be more finicky in Viper applications, perhaps from the rough ride compared to its other applications.

Oh, and I have them on sale until the end of the month too.

[End Shameless Plug/]

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"[Shameless plug] :eek:

The RB-1 radios appear to be more reliable than the Stock RBQ. I have only had one complaint out of the multitudes of them that I have sold. RBQ's appear to be more finicky in Viper applications, perhaps from the rough ride compared to its other applications.

[End Shameless Plug/] :eek:

:D :laugh: :) :cool: ;)

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my FM reception ***** ass, Seems like only country channels come in and I hate country. I tend to listen to the same 6 disc i put in the player the day i bought it 6 months ago....lol

SilverViperSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the first month I was no more capable to use the cd fonction, they were stock in it. They change the radio and now it's working perfectly. They suggest me to stop using CD (made from home) with a sticker on it (round label that we print and stick our self) because it can be to thick.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They suggest me to stop using CD (made from home) with a sticker on it (round label that we print and stick our self) because it can be to thick.

You really shouldn't use stick-on labels in any slot-loading drive, especially a changer. The heat from the radio can cause the label's adhesive to soften, the label will start to peel, then the disc gets jammed in the pinch rollers or elevators.

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[Shameless plug]

[End Shameless Plug/]

Cost ?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1299.00 SHIPPED USA-48

At a dealer you will pay 1595.00, and from me off-sale, 1350.00

Until end of December ONLY.

Thanks!

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At that price, why wouldn't someone just go aftermarket with a nice Pioneer Nav/DVD H/U and maybe a nice set of speakers, too. Or a non-DVD H/U plus some stereo work? $1300 for a POS Delphi deck is like Audi wanting $200 per tweeter for their Bose components. Just insane pricing, and unreasonable.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Clint- it depends what you want. If you want a non-factory look hackjob, thats what you will get for 1300 bucks in the aftermarket. If you want OEM look, compatibility, Navigation, and continued warranty coverage, you get an RB-1... just like the near hundred Viper owners I have sold them to.

By the way, RB-1's are Alpine, not Delphi. And how do you get off calling it a POS? I have had ONE issue out of all of the radios I have sold. The rest have been great, and everyone agrees they sound better than stock for whatever reason it may be.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a non-factory look hackjob

??? - most factory-look HU have, to me, a parts-bin appearence. But we're both talking opinion here.

By the way, RB-1's are Alpine, not Delphi.

I was unaware of that.

And how do you get off calling it a POS? I have had ONE issue out of all of the radios I have sold. The rest have been great, and everyone agrees they sound better than stock for whatever reason it may be.

If this is a good factory stereo offering, then it's like one in a thousand. Personally, I've had much better experience from aftermarket components in stereo equipment than try to rely on the factory to put out decent units.

To me, the features and look of an aftermarket HU in that price-range makes it vastly more appealing than keeping optional OEM equipment. No offense to your or your customers that have been satisfied, just my opinion that's worth about as much as you paid for it.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ClintServer: Why would you want to put an non-iconic Brand that fits in a Ricer in a Cult classic(albiet modern) muscle car?

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ClintServer: Why would you want to put an non-iconic Brand that fits in a Ricer in a Cult classic(albiet modern) muscle car?

Uh, what? While I try to figure out what you were trying to say, let me tell you that a true purist wouldn't have a radio in his Viper, because big-power, big-grip, no-comfot would more properly fall in line with the Cobra-esque philosophy and lineage.

What's funny is that 'non-iconic brand' you refer to also builds the RB-1, which as Daniel pointed out above, comes as a factory option in the 'cult classic' SRT.

And since it's clear that you didn't read any of the above posts very thoroughly, I'll reiterate that I've had poor experiences with stock audio systems in cars, especially when dealer prices for replacement OEM assesories is comparable to a much higher-quality aftermarket product. I was unaware that Pioneer built the RB-1 (thought it was parts bin Delphi stuff), and that overall, considering the similar pricing, a bigger display, greater tuning/assesories capability, and IMO better looks justify the switch to aftermarket if someone's factory HU went south in their SRT.

EDIT: An example of what I'm talking about. Read through some of the stuff that this thing does and it should be pretty self-explanatory why I feel that this is a better deal:

You must be registered for see images

Pioneer AVIC-N2

Pioneer AVIC-N2, which, in addition to supporting the usual media formats also receives NavTraffic data from XM satellites and integrates it into the navigation system. The AVIC-N2's color-codes roads by how smoothly traffic is moving on them and can automatically route you around traffic jams and accidents. The technology is also built into the new Acura RL and will soon show up in the Cadillac CTS.

Pioneer AVIC-N2 Features:

Plays AM, FM, and satellite XM radio
Plays CDs, including MP3 CDs
Supports DVD video
Navigation screen folds and hides in single DIN slot
Has a vehicle dynamics monitor that displays slope, g-force, and so on
Displays external rearview camera input on monitor
NavTraffic subscription: $13.99
Fits in a single car stereo DIN slot; double-DIN version of the product is the AVIC-D1

The Pioneer AVIC-N2 has a 50 watt amplifier, with three preamp outs and onboard EQ. The 6.5" touchscreen not only displays navigation and point-of-interest data, but you can watch DVDs on it to boot, and it's motorized, which may not be particularly necessary but it's sure a nice touch. And of course it's also an XM satellite radio receiver, allowing you to listen to your choice of some 130 digital channels.

In addition to the navigation and entertainment features, the AVIC-N2 forges into more interesting territory, measuring vehicle dynamics such as front/rear G-Force (for acceleration and braking force), lateral G-Force (for measuring cornering force).

Average Price, Online: $1300

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456