Any tips on changing fuel filter?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to replace the fuel filter on my Gen I. I do have a lift which will make the filter very accessable. Thanks in advance for any tips! :usa:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
get the quick disconnect fuel line tool. depressurize the fuel system. disconnect the battery. get towels or rags to absorb the fuel. Wear goggles.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's pain in the asp, drink heavily before hand.

access is limited to say the least, working with fragile plastic clips is just icing on the cake.

go slow and curse often.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrap towels around your wrists, it's high up over the half shaft and fuel will run down your arms. Goggles is also a good idea. Mark the new filter as to inlet and outlet, because after wiggling yourself in position and handling the filter under the car in the shade, you'll lose track.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever designs the "quick disconnect" fittings has a special seat in ****, right next to Satan, himself.

Anything labeled "quick disconnect" is like one of those Chinese finger traps. You can pull, twist, tug, scream, curse, poke, pry and jiggle - only to have it mysteriously fall apart in your hands. You will never remember exactly what you did and you certianly won't be able to easily repeat it when you have to undo that connector again in 3 years. Oh, and that "quick disconnect" will bear no resemblence to any other quick disconnect you will ever encounter - so your brief knowledge will be completely wasted.

That is all.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ed, I need to do this too! Let's do both at the same time. So far supplies I hear we need:
1. Beer
2. Quick disconnect fuel line tool (where to get?)
3. Rags, goggles
Need to know how to depressurize.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
make sure you dont tug on the line to hard i had a "shop" change mine once and they cracked the ****** on my fuel pump (thank god Chuck Tator found it in time) and the damm shop never even changed the filter.

So the DO NOT tug too hard onthe line.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I have never done it, I'm pretty sure the ****** next to cyl #10(top of intake) will relieve fuel pressure???? Be careful and wrap wrags around it as well before you unscrew.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It *****. Go down to Napa and buy one of their fuel line disconnect tools, I think it is under $20. There have been previous posts on this. That F*^k'n clip doesn't move easily, the tool helps push that damn plastic clip back. Be careful pulling it off, if you kink that damn line pulling on it too hard then you cannot just get a single replacement line. The new line comes in a new assembly that includes the clutch lines and the damn thing is 10 foot long, and the new assembly costs around $300.

Have fun. After you do it once, and with use of the tool it’s not too bad. Be patient and walk away from it if you start to get frustrated.

I have a kwiklift and with the car up I can change mine in probably 20 minutes, but of course me and the new line have an agreement now, the old line and I never saw eye to eye on anything...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you break the QC the line will lose pressure. Just keep a rag handy or you can loosen the pipe plug on the #10 intake runner. Either way you are going to lose a small amount of gas.

The trick to separating the line from the filter is keeping physical pressure (relieves the force on the QC) on the connection. When you push the two together and you will feel the QC unseat, that is when you apply the tool.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the fuel line tools work well and I ended up pulling the inner fender out and although unnecessary it made life a lot easier and the plastic rivets are easy to reinstall.

To depressureize one can also pull the fuel relay in the trubk while the car is running. I do this everytime I remove the schrader vavle on the intake, so I assume it will help while you are back in the rear of the car changing the filter.

John

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The procedure in the service manual for depressurizing the fuel line is as John describes. The quick disconnects are very hard to get apart under pressure. Alternatively, if the car cannot be started, you can loosen the fitting with a open end wrench on the the back of the intake manifold and let the fuel bleed out. This may be easier than those "quick" disconnects.

OP
OP
R

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,

Sounds like a plan. Between the both of us, we should be able to handle the beer with no problem and then it won't matter if the $%&* quick disconnects give us a problem. Big car show in Milford on Sunday, maybe I will hook up with you there.
:usa:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...where's the show in Milford.
I think I'll have a digital camera ready when we do this and take pics for future sorry saps needing to do it.

OP
OP
R

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Main street, can't miss it. You will need to get there before 11:00 to register. See you there!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang