Any Viper racers also run open wheel?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone other than Jesse Reed runs both a Viper and an open wheel of some sort in SCCA or other club level venues.

Would be interested in your thoughts on how they compare.

Jeff

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been through the Bertil Roos F-2000 schools and was going to run their race series this season but just couldn't get the free time to do it. Perhaps next season.

I was hooked on Formula right away...(Blame goes to Woodhouse & Pemberton who got me started last year at VIR) it took a bit of seat time to get the feel of the car but the precision and the open cockpit leaves me with a big smile everytime. Like airplanes seat time, seat time, seat time will improve your skill and enjoyment. It's a different feeling in many ways from running enclosed cars...harsher maybe...but whtever it is I just love it. The recommendation I had was to sign up for an arrive & drive series before buying a Formula car...run the season and see if I wanted to make the comittment to actually buy the car, trailer etc.etc....good advice.

I recommend Bertil Roos school...real race driver instructor types...very hands on..best wishes & have fun.

Paul :usa:

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I race a 1963 Lola Formula Junior in Vintage car racing. It weighs a total of 900 lbs ready to go! As you can imagine it has a totally different feel from the Viper. You drive much deeper into the turns, it is much more tossable. The shift throws are much closer and more precise. I don't use the clutch upshifting. The main difference is keeping the rpms up, it is a dog below 5500 rpms. It really keeps your concentration, but is much more rewarding when done properly. I'll be racing in the Monterey Historics next week.