Any younger owners get this?

Greekislandsurf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I didn't realize there are so many issues with those that don't own a Viper. I've only owned my Viper since Dec. 6th and unlike many having the "too young to own a Viper" image, I'm 51 with long hair and a tattoo so maybe I don't fit the "Viper Image" what ever that is. Had my first comment last week in the parking lot of a local store made by my "local law enforcement". OK, so I have long hair and my hair was down, I had on a wife ****** tanktop, maybe a couple holes in my jeans but I was clean. As I was walking up to my car, he was driving by and saw me and stopped to see what I was doing. As I approched the drivers door, he asked what I was doing. I told him I was going home, he said, so how are you going to get in that car, I told him with my key, then said DUUU.:rolleyes: I got in and started the car and drove home with him on my ass all the way to my house. Not sure if it was the way I was dressed or I just didn't look like I could own a car like this....:dunno:

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
My son always get's attitude when he is out....

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I didn't realize there are so many issues with those that don't own a Viper. I've only owned my Viper since Dec. 6th and unlike many having the "too young to own a Viper" image, I'm 51 with long hair and a tattoo so maybe I don't fit the "Viper Image" what ever that is. Had my first comment last week in the parking lot of a local store made by my "local law enforcement". OK, so I have long hair and my hair was down, I had on a wife ****** tanktop, maybe a couple holes in my jeans but I was clean. As I was walking up to my car, he was driving by and saw me and stopped to see what I was doing. As I approched the drivers door, he asked what I was doing. I told him I was going home, he said, so how are you going to get in that car, I told him with my key, then said DUUU.:rolleyes: I got in and started the car and drove home with him on my ass all the way to my house. Not sure if it was the way I was dressed or I just didn't look like I could own a car like this....:dunno:

I'm 41 with long hair and at times I'll wear clothes that don't befit people's image of the cars I own and yes I've been stopped enough by law enforcement "just checking" that my car isn't stolen and that I'm the thief. I figure if it ever is stolen then the narrow-mindedness might actually work in my favor.

Regards,
Aaron

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only been a viper owner for a few weeks now, but I am starting to see some of the issues listed here. I'm going to be 28 this month, and, like another member said, most people don't know the difference between a 92 and a 2010. I have a couple neighbors who don't talk to me because of the house I live in and the car's I drive (its not my fault that I baught a forclosure for half of what they did). I also get some cheap shot comments at work. I'm an E4 in the Air Force, and just because of the number of stripes on my shirt, people believe I should act and drive a certain type of car. They don't bother to consider I have done two deployments, manage my money very well, and my wife has a good job. Its frustrating, but I don't care. I have the most bad-ass car made and will enjoy every moment of it. And when they ask for a ride, I will just smile and say no.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Focken haters for sure... Worst are the vette guys. Theyll do anything t not look at your car ect when your around. Then when they see your car parked without you theyll come examine every angle ect..

Then they will post on the vette board how your a dick or conceited ect when your pretty nice to everyone.

Bottom line love em or hate them vipers are considered exotic by 80 percent of the population and expensive at 80-110k from 2000-2010. Saw a new areo coupe at the dealer for 125k here in Hawaii.

With that exotic/expensive status you get the good and the bad. No way around it

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 22, just graduated college, and have an above average entry level position (average isn't very high right now). I also work Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights as a valet. Nothing beats the looks I get when I hop in my car after valeting a private party. Little do they know that I have worked close to full time since junior year of high school and now work 65 hours a week.

I like to leave my car up front on the ramp when I valet as it attracts nicer cars (bigger tips). Everybody thinks it is a car being valeted, so I get to listen to people talk about it like the owner isn't around. I just thought I would list a couple of the hilarious comments I have heard: (98 GTS bought for 32k)

-"Who the hell would put that much body work into a corvette!!" --- A guy in his mid 30's with a couple buddies.

-"That thing has to cost close to a quarter million dollars." --- Old guy to his wife.

-"Those European exotics are completely impractical and outrageously expensive. Whoever owns that has no clue what the value of money is." --- Guy in mid 40s to his wife and kids. He was valeting a newish 5 series.... lol

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have only been a viper owner for a few weeks now, but I am starting to see some of the issues listed here. I'm going to be 28 this month, and, like another member said, most people don't know the difference between a 92 and a 2010. I have a couple neighbors who don't talk to me because of the house I live in and the car's I drive (its not my fault that I baught a forclosure for half of what they did). I also get some cheap shot comments at work. I'm an E4 in the Air Force, and just because of the number of stripes on my shirt, people believe I should act and drive a certain type of car. They don't bother to consider I have done two deployments, manage my money very well, and my wife has a good job. Its frustrating, but I don't care. I have the most bad-ass car made and will enjoy every moment of it. And when they ask for a ride, I will just smile and say no.

I'm an E5 in the Air Force and bought my 06 FE when I was 25. I'm not in the military for the money, I'm in because I want to serve my country. I already own rental property, a small business and have a few little investments here and there. I made the mistake of not timing my purchase so greatly and bought mine about 2 months after I PCS'd from New Mexico to California. Only reason I waited was because the roads in New Mexico were crap and didn't want to risk destroying the car before I could get it some where that I'd be able to fully appreciate it.

Well my shop chief, who has been at this base for his entire career, and hasn't been deployed yet ( I volunteer and go at least once a week ), decided to try to start **** with me about it. I was working with an airman and the airman messed up, and QA caught it. They only marked it as an observation because of how minor it was. The shop chief pulled me in his office and just started to nail into me about it. He then said that he had the power ( He is only a Master Sergeant ( E7 ) ) to lower me down from an E5 to an E4, and he asked me if I would then be able to keep paying my Viper payments as an E4.

It took all I had to not lay into him. This guy has more financial issues than an airman basic with a pregnant wife and 2 kids. He thought he'd be able to get me to bow down and be all afraid of him by threatening my paycheck. Ever since it has been a pretty hostile work environment. This place has the worst good ol' boys club I've ever seen in my 8 years in from all the people that get sent here and then get on a profile to where they can't deploy or PCS. Luckily he is being replaced soon.

Morale of story, higher ranking people will try to treat you differently because of a car that you drive. It is rather sad and pathetic, but there isn't much you can really do about it. Just remember they may be looking for a reason to drill into you thinking they have leverage over you now for financial reasons. They are really just jealous because they didn't make better decisions in their career and drive the same POS they drove as an E3 coming out of tech school.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Priceless.

I'm 22, just graduated college, and have an above average entry level position (average isn't very high right now). I also work Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights as a valet. Nothing beats the looks I get when I hop in my car after valeting a private party. Little do they know that I have worked close to full time since junior year of high school and now work 65 hours a week.

I like to leave my car up front on the ramp when I valet as it attracts nicer cars (bigger tips). Everybody thinks it is a car being valeted, so I get to listen to people talk about it like the owner isn't around. I just thought I would list a couple of the hilarious comments I have heard: (98 GTS bought for 32k)

-"Who the hell would put that much body work into a corvette!!" --- A guy in his mid 30's with a couple buddies.

-"That thing has to cost close to a quarter million dollars." --- Old guy to his wife.

-"Those European exotics are completely impractical and outrageously expensive. Whoever owns that has no clue what the value of money is." --- Guy in mid 40s to his wife and kids. He was valeting a newish 5 series.... lol

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get this in San Francisco all the time (along with a lot of scorn from all the smug prius drivers), but I'm Indian so they figure I'm with some tech start up or Google ;). I freaken grew up in the Tendelloin in the city, made my bones and bought me 2 fat cars, a motorcycle and house *******.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I lived in San Fran, I'd buy a H1.

I get this in San Francisco all the time (along with a lot of scorn from all the smug prius drivers), but I'm Indian so they figure I'm with some tech start up or Google ;). I freaken grew up in the Tendelloin in the city, made my bones and bought me 2 fat cars, a motorcycle and house *******.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm 66 and get the comments about mid-life crisis or the best ones concerning my ability to handle such a beast. I just enjoy living well and irritating anyone that's jealous. They say the best revenge is living well. Or your never too old to have a happy childhood.

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw this thread got revived recently... And I'm in a foul mood from today so I have to post...

I've had my '99 ACR for over a year now, just turned 25, and I can say I get a variety of reactions from people.

I've been on my own since 17, and I've worked in IT full time, since the day I graduated Highschool, and through college as well (I had to pay for it myself). I earned my MBA in less than a year from working my ass off, and I've had my own business for the past 2 years (which consists of only me writing software haha) in addition to a day job. I have a wife at home, not working (by our choice), expecting our first child (little girl!) in about 2 months. We have zero debt, no loans other than the mortgage, and enough in the bank to pay off the mortgage and still cover my day job's salary for 2 years.

I drive the viper to my day job whenever the weather is nice, my truck or wife's suv when it snows, and my daily driver any other time. I just bought a new daily driver and drove it to work for the first time today. A super fast 2010 Toyota Corolla S (Heavy sarcasm) for $14k.

Here are some of the comments I received today:

person 1 is a total dbag anyway (owns a new loaded F350 that's easily $50k+), said this to me as I exited the toyota...
person 1: "Finally figure out that you can't afford a Viper"
response: "No, I replaced my Saturn. I have no car loans, I own all my vehicles"
person 1: "*blank stare for about 3 seconds* well how much a month does that one cost you?"
response: "I have no car payments, I bought this with cash"
person 1: "huh?"

person 2 (fellow car nut) came running over to my desk asking why I sold the viper.

person 3: "So you realized it would difficult to survive without your wife working huh"
me: "Excuse me I don't quite understand what you're referring to"
person 3: "Rumor has it you got rid of the viper and replaced it with a toyota"
me: "No I replaced my Saturn, still have all the other cars, and I couldn't be happier with my wife not working. Please spread this because I'm tired of hearing b.s. comments"

person 4: "Why didn't you get a BMW, or a Lexus"
me: "Because it's a pointless waste of money to me"
person 4: "The payment wouldn't be that much"

Those are the bad apples though... all around we have a ton of great people here, I've given many of them rides and as a result built many awesome relationships, both professional and personal.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like this summer should be fun for me. I have a full arm sleeve tattoo, and am no stranger to the gym. So people already look at me and think "F*ckin dbag Jersey Shore wanna be". Then when they would see me driving around in the SRT-8 I had all done up, or towing my wakeboard boat with a new truck, they just add "drugdealer" on top of the rest. But I definitely don't get bothered by it, in fact I consider this stuff compliments. The reason people say stupid things like that, is because they are looking for a scapegoat from their own inadequacies. You own nicer toys then them, they consider you a drug dealer. That way they don't have to become depressed as they think about their poor life choices that have not allowed them the opportunity to buy any toys. You are in shape and looking good, then you must be on steroids. Then they don't have to face the fact that their lifestyle of drinking every 2nd day and not exercising any hard work and dedication, is what's holding them back from looking the same way.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
person 3: "So you realized it would difficult to survive without your wife working huh"
me: "Excuse me I don't quite understand what you're referring to"
person 3: "Rumor has it you got rid of the viper and replaced it with a toyota"
me: "No I replaced my Saturn, still have all the other cars, and I couldn't be happier with my wife not working. Please spread this because I'm tired of hearing b.s. comments"

What you should have said...

you: "My wife can't work."
person 3: "She can't? Why not?"
you: "Because every night we bang it down so much she can barely walk in the morning."

I'm a classy guy.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gauche, but very funny!

you: "Because every night we bang it down so much she can barely walk in the morning."

I'm a classy guy.

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you: "Because every night we bang it down so much she can barely walk in the mornin

I'm a classy guy.

You my good man, are tops on my list...

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
people are much nicer in vancouver. im 21 owned 05 for a year now.

most people just ask about the car and the ones that ask how i got the car think im stupid for buying a viper when most of them drive fully loaded suv.

i also took a year off after highschool and worked full time and bought a 68 mustang and a year later i went back to school to be a collision tech, manage 40 hrs of work week, and traded my stang and paid the rest in cash.

also like to throw out comments like i can afford a viper by make double what you make. $21hr :) might not be alot to some people but its more then a office job or any restaurant work and more then enough for insurance gas rent and food and saving up for a future business :D

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 28yrs old and have gotten similar comments, but nothing condescending. Once I tell them I am a Mech Eng. and work as a project mmanager, that seems to "make sense" to most people for whatever reason and the questions stop coming.