anyone done a remote start with a manual trans?

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, you would need a neutral switch, and you'd need to park in neutral. Has it been done? I.m looking at adding a turbo timer to the new car and a few companies make a remote start / turbo timer.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hate aftermarket remote starts- they **** and ****!!!! i tear them out of cars all the time, those and alarms----(aftermarket):arg:

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper is nothing special when it comes to electronics, no reason you can't put a nice remote start on it. It should be a fairly straight forward install.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanna see the YouTube video when someone hits the start button and the car goes thru the garage wall/door because someone forgot to put it in N. :D

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper is nothing special when it comes to electronics

What???? How dare you say this about the Viper...ha ha, just kidding! :D

I would like to know the same thing as originally posted. However, to FastZilla's point I don't think the car starts in gear unless the clutch is pushed in...if not, video please :cool:

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one on my Z06, after leaving the car in 1st a couple times and starting the car and having it jump forward, I figured I would leave that be.

gjgoodman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a automotive aftermarket business that specializes in remote starters and other accessories. We use Directed products that has a retail name "Viper" (fitting isn't it) for all our applications. A Viper remote start can be added to any vehicle with a manual transmission. During the installation, the neutral safety switch is over-ridden, and one of the many wires is hooked up to the park brake. After all connections are made, the system is put into "manual" mode by the installer, and a sequence of events will have to be done by the owner every time before the ignition is shut off after parking. This is called the "reservation" mode.

Here is how it works. Before turning off the car, put it in neutral and set the park brake. Now turn off the ignition, the car actually stays running until you get out and lock the doors using the new aftermarket Viper remote control, then the car dies. Now the system knows the car is in neutral and the brake is set. When ready to remote start just push the button, or now days just use your smartphone to activate the remote start. Here's the cool thing, if anytime the doors are unlocked, before remote starting, the system knows it, and will not let the car be started remotely. It really works well. If you want to check out any of the Viper products, just go to www.viper.com

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I ever become too lazy to open the door of my Viper, put the key into the ignition, and push the start button (on a car that only sees 1,200 miles of concrete and asphalt a year), then I'd gladly sign the title over to the first person who knocks on my door.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I ever become too lazy to open the door of my Viper, put the key into the ignition, and push the start button (on a car that only sees 1,200 miles of concrete and asphalt a year), then I'd gladly sign the title over to the first person who knocks on my door.

Hey....that's me out front knocking on your door. You just won a free remote start kit w/install!!!!! No strings attached! And a dinner for 2 at Morton's.

I'll return to collect the title in a couple of days :)

OP
OP
S

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the info on Viper products. I got the idea because Viper has a remote start, turbo timer option. For a mostly daily driven car I feel the turbo timer saves a lot of excessive wear on the turbos, letting them spool down with oil still flowing. If I'm going to do the install anyway why not go with a remote start option too. It works real well on the family Hummer H2, especially when it's a sort of cold outside. 95% or the time I don't bother with the remote start, but even in Florida we get a few cold days.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any type of remote starter installed on manual transmission cars,extreme care and attation should be taken for example a good location for the module propely secure,wires should be solder and cut to properly length nead no mess, wires going throught the firewall must have high heat wire looms, door switches must be checked every month, any kind of malfunction the car starter motor will drag the car until the battery dies or a collision whatever comes first ,trust me I have tested.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info on Viper products. I got the idea because Viper has a remote start, turbo timer option. For a mostly daily driven car I feel the turbo timer saves a lot of excessive wear on the turbos, letting them spool down with oil still flowing. If I'm going to do the install anyway why not go with a remote start option too. It works real well on the family Hummer H2, especially when it's a sort of cold outside. 95% or the time I don't bother with the remote start, but even in Florida we get a few cold days.

The remote start works just as well running your AC to cool off the vehicle as well as heat it. I've had an auto start on my DD for nine years and it's still tickin along. The auto start for heat comes in handy at -50 f when you don't WANT to go outside and put the key in the ignition. We were in Alaska for our previous tour, now in California.....yay. Can't wait to go back to Alaska......

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a automotive aftermarket business that specializes in remote starters and other accessories.....

Good write up on the remote start setup with a manual transmission car. I went one better on my 3000 VR4 and installed a double redundant reed switch/magnet setup in shifter box with a re-assignment of a few control wires. Even if the system sequence screwed up there was no way the car could start unless it was in neutral with the parking brake on. Worked really well without the worries of the car starting up and jumping in the pool.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang