Anyone done the Beginner PDE Performance Driver Education at NARRA events?

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen postings from folks at NARRA events but don't remember one about the Beginner PDE Performance Driver Education training. Anyone done one of these lately? What do they look for at tech? What equipment do you need to participate? Thinking of doing the Road Atlanta event in April and would like some information from folks who have done this. (Yes I know this is a repost of my earlier but I thought it might get more views here)

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joel, you find a lot of good information on NARRA's website. I've run with NARRA for the last 3 years but havent't particpated in the school. I'm sure others here will provide you their experiences with the beginner instruction. NARRA evolved from the original Viper Days w/Skip Thomas. Skip had a great beginner program so hopefully NARRA kept it going good. Since your at a NARRA event the instructors will be familar or owners of high HP cars. They know how they handle, accelerate and brake, and will help you more than say an instructor that runs Miata's, BMW's etc.

Not sure if they have their Tech form on-line. Basically they are looking at safety, is your car safe for you as well as not a hazard for others on the track. Brake pad thickness and fluid level/color, wheel and tire condition, engine (fluids, leaks), body and appearnace (nothing loose), seat belts, helmet, etc Take a look at this checklist, it's a good reference http://speedventures.com/events/tech.pdf

As far as equipment, a safe car, a current model "car" helmet and long sleeve shirt and pants. You have a convertible, check NARRRA to see if they have a rollbar requirement. Here's another link to speedventures site, open the "track checklist" tab on the left side, good reference of things you may need or want to bring, http://speedventures.com/

Good luck and have fun, you"ll have a great time that can become very addicting! Mike

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless they are changing standards for 2012, they allow vert beginners to run in the pde without a rollbar. They did the last 2 years at TWS.

As Mike said, tech is about safety: fresh fluids, good tires and brake pads.

Word of warning, you might be starting a very fun/expensive habit! :)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the school at Hallet two years ago. Everything is pretty much as REDTANRT10 described.

As far as the school, you will have classroon instruction sessions while the other groups are on track. They basically go over all aspects of being on track. You can expect to have an instructor ride with you on track until they feel you are ready to solo.

*Be warned..... This is a terribly addicting endeavor!.

By far the most fun I have ever had in the front seat of a car.....:D

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get ready for T12. Make sure you have fresh fluids, brakes, and good rubber (swap out the runflats if you still have those). Also, make sure you have an SA2005+ helmet. I hope to be @ the RA event as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4