anyone drive their viper in winter weather?

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am from Buffalo NY and a local guy is still driving his 96 b/w GTS in the snow covered, salted roads. I saw it yesterday and there was about a foot and a half of snow sitting on it. Does anyone here drive their snake in the snow/ salted roads?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. Soon the rest of the GTS's out there will be worth just a little more. :p

I guess the problem is not the car but the tires. Maybe he has snow tires on?

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine last winter b/c I got it on 12/24 @ 6pm... all was fine until one afternoon after a 2 cocktail lunch I was driving 3 blocks home. 30 degree weather in February, no precip but there were patches of moisture/ice on the road. I was doing about 40mph in a 40mph zone and next thing you know I was doing donuts uncontrollably. My fiance was driving right behind me and slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting me and her car died mysteriously!?! She was driving an SLK AMG that was an automatic V6 lol:) anyways, I crunched the front bumper was all luckily. I don't drive it too much anymore in the winter but would. The carbon fiber body and undercarriage would be fine especially if you took the time to clean it up regularly. I would hand wash mine in the garage and it would drain out to the street. I will add that in May I did the clear bra and it was too late:( I had plenty of scratches/dings due to salt and grit from the road...

I drive mine like I stole it so ***:)

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am from Buffalo NY and a local guy is still driving his 96 b/w GTS in the snow covered, salted roads. I saw it yesterday and there was about a foot and a half of snow sitting on it. Does anyone here drive their snake in the snow/ salted roads?

Its his car but I think hes an IDIOT.....Buy a old suv or something like that,dont kill a Viper especially a 96:crazy2:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted this up earlier on the 'Winter wont go away' thread :)

Still wet and cold over here today :( I spent the morning assembling the Christmas tree and putting out a few Christmas decorations, then............This thing turned up on my drive!

You must be registered for see images

Friend of mine, just bought a new toy :2tu:

Brave man drove home with the roof down :omg:

My car is tucked up in the garage, I'm currently changing all the fluids :)

Mark
:uk:

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my viper as well as the rest of my sports cars all winter down in south Florida. Never been stuck in the snow once.

2000 GTS Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where did you see this car? I'm from buffalo too and i know of 1 guy here that drive's it year round cause it's been wrecked 3 time's.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Does anyone here drive their snake in the snow/ salted roads?

Was out yesterday, snow gone from the roads, minor salt remained in few areas. Stopped at my fave restaurant in Ridgefield, and enjoyed looking at my 09, over grilled calimari and an Italian chard. Lots of people walked by admiring the hot looks on a cold afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG00030-20091211-1348.jpg
    IMG00030-20091211-1348.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 47

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever that was should be baitch slapped and the car confiscated. Anyway you should belong to the VCA Ontario right across the border if you don't already. Feel free to contact me 662-0464 or [email protected]. Lots of events,as in track time,cruises,dinners,parties Ontario side and this side. No sense in belonging to NY/CT as they are 7 hours away. Even Ohio is closer. GTS Bruce

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cue Tom......

My ears were ringing.

I would not knowingly take the car out with snow on the ground, but have been caught a few times when it started snowing. I drive one gear up in the rain, and two gears up in the snow/slush worked OK. The secret seems to be not stopping; keep some momentum. Plus, my state inspection is due annually in December, so I do make sure I have tires with tread during the colder months.

The good news is only the front window needs to be scraped in the winter, my RT rear window is inside the roll hoop and stays dry and clear. The small cockpit means the AC/defrost can dry the interior pretty quick.

Getting stuck in the driveway is why I disabled the skipshift. I was rocking from 1rst to reverse and with the wheels rotating forward fast enough, it won't let you engage reverse (or any other gear besides 4th.) I guess the Dodge guys never thought we'd be in the snow - go figure!

I have brand new Kumho XSs this winter. So far they are good in the rain, good for braking, can be slippery on startup/driveaway when cold. I think some of that is the differential locking up and forcing both wheels to the same speed - one is spinning already so it makes the other spin, too. Also, with the weight distribution I have it took a few trips to learn that for equal wear out to the edge of the tread, I need 5 psi lower in the rear tires than front tires.

Anyway, what part of the "fun" of ownership am I missing?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My winter experience was to drive my supercharged GTS from Pekin Illinois in Februrary 2007. Snow in Calgary, bit of snow in the Rockies and it really sucked from 100 Mile House to home where I got stuck in the 6" of snow in the driveway. Car was lowered to 2.5" ground clearance. My driveway is 1/4 mile long. In Williams Lake we got pulled over by the cops for "driving without insurance" WRONG, he said he saw my decal but pulled me over to ask, "What the hell I was doing driving a Viper in the snow." I showed him the permits from Illinois. He said something about crazy people 'out west' and told me he liked my car be careful driving home. Car slid out twice (fishtailed) but I got control back and made it home until my driveway. Driving my Sapphire GTS out of the garage it drove 1.4 car lengths and got stuck on level ground! Where I stopped is the farthest I got without 'push power'.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z_E5-NPIA4[/media]

Snow and ice - buy a Stealth R/T TT. With AWD those things are good up to about 7-8" of snow. 12" goes over the hood and blinds you after 9mph! Matter of fact, I even towed a trailer with my snowmobile with mine. MUCH better traction, braking and handling than our new Dodge Ram 4x4 (with Cooper Winter/ice radials).

Viper on ice and snow - DON'T DO IT.

Ted

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine in the Winter here in Colorado, but I have found a few rules to follow.
1) No driving when there is snow on the roads. It's just too dicey with those fat tires, and it's hard to get started from a stand still.
2) No driving if there are rocks, sand, or salt still laying around. Gotta save some of the paint for later.
3) This one is weird, but I have found that it's a bad idea to drive in temps under 40 degrees. The tires turn into hockey pucks and get no traction. I have gotten "stuck" on dry pavement with the tires just slipping when I was out a little late one night and the temps hit about 25.:nono:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock tires are no good in cold weather. Putting on snow tires will make it way more pleasant and safe. Of course, the car will look weird with skinny tires.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In real northen winter I store the Viper and roam the roads for bait in a mean SRT8 GRRR!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its his car but I think hes an IDIOT.....Buy a old suv or something like that,dont kill a Viper especially a 96:crazy2:

I agree with the IDIOT comment. Its one thing driving in the winter with clear roads, its a whole different story driving it thru the snow :omg: and driving it "all winter" long in the northern states :frosty:

sekhmet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't drive my '99 it in the winter; however we had a freak snow band come through on the one day I decided to take it to work in early October, was a very scary drive home to say the least.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week it was around 12F and the Kumhos were pretty lumpy feeling. It took 3-4 miles for them to "get round" again. The sand on the roads can make it slippery, although I still think it's the differential locking up. I never "plow", only catch the rear end on throttle application. I wonder if the newer cars with something other than the old clutch plate "Sure Grip" do any better.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven all of mine in the winter. Its just a car, just dont drive like an idiot and it will be fine. If the roads are somewhat clear, I take mine out. Last year I had my stereo system installed and it was snowing hard when I picked it up from the install place. It was so funny seeing the looks on everyones faces when a viper passes them with standing snow on the ground!

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In real northen winter I store the Viper and roam the roads for bait in a mean SRT8 GRRR!!!

I like your style! I have a dumb pos trailblazer base model as a company car. I want an SRT bad!

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, but I had to introduce my garage queen to the the snow today. My wife's DD was due for an oil change so I had to back out the Viper to put the Camry onto the lift.

My drive has a very gradual slope to the street. It is barely perceptible. When I went to put the Viper back into the garage, it wouldn't move forward in only less than 1" of snow. The wheels would just spin easing the clutch out at idle. I finally crawled into the garage after several minutes. I can not see how this car could get down the road in snow. I do still have the PS1's on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi