Anyone Ever Get A Flat Tire In Their Viper?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everone. Once again I am just asking one of those random questions. I got a flat a month or two ago and decided not to use the spare because it was a DONUT. My question for you is:

Has Anyone Gotten A Flat Here? If Anyone Has, Did You Use The Donut?

Please share your stories.

Thanks

Keith

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did. Drove on the flat at about 10 MPH for 6 miles.

It was SOOOOOO cold out and I didnt have my spare.

Not a single scratch on the rim.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove 2 blocks and toasted the tire. Slooowwww corners on the spare felt like walking on ice with stilts.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone made it back to a safe spot ok. Anyone else have stories. I just thought that the DONUT was so small that it would not work every well, especially with 500HP at the rear wheels.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a hale storm here several years ago. There were so many nails on the road that I counted about 5 in one of my rear tires. The only complaint was that it would lose air. Not flat, just low. The guy who replaced the tire was a little surprised.

I've only had two flats. One was in another car that ran over an exacto knife blade. That leaves a serious gash in the tire.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When planning for those weekend road trips The Spare Tire takes up precious trunk space..What about bringing along one of those small repair kits like GM supplies for the Z06?
Thats how they got away from installing "Run Flat Tires"

Cheers

Jeff

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found my car in the garage with a flat tire one morning.
Injected 2 cans of foam into the tire and drove it to Les Schwab, 2 miles down the road. They took care of the issue.
Immediately cleaned out all the foam and plugged the tire. One month later I bought new tires.

Since I've got a 1,000 Wat amp in my spare tire area, I do not really have a lot of options. I always carry a couple of those foam cans in my trunk.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fix-a-flat in every car. Can't tell you how many times this stuff has saved me. Just spray it in and off you go. One minute max on the side of the road!

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California
I remember reading a thread where it was claimed the spare was part of DC rear impact protection. Have never found anything to support that and am personally skeptical that it would do anything but push deeper into the cockpit. What are others thoughts on this?

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a hale storm here several years ago. There were so many nails on the road that I counted about 5 in one of my rear tires. The only complaint was that it would lose air. Not flat, just low. The guy who replaced the tire was a little surprised.

I've only had two flats. One was in another car that ran over an exacto knife blade. That leaves a serious gash in the tire.
Ok..hopefully you weren't out driving in the hale storm. Secondly, what does that have to do with nails on the road? Just curious.

JSL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used the space saver spare twice. Once on the left rear
from Deer Lodge, Montana to Seattle.(550 miles). The other time was on the left front from Little Rock to Memphis.(140 Miles). Drove the speed limit or better all the way. It actually drove better with it on the front than the rear. It might have been the fact that it was raining hard when it was on the rear.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by DC Viper engineers that the spare in my RT/10 is part of the crash protection. I carry a couple cans of Fix-a-flat and a plug kit. Was with a friend this summer whose left rear tire blew out and was totally shredded by the time he stopped. We put the donut on and he drove it a few miles to a gas station where he was luckily abled to get his car trailered back to Detroit. I can tell you that a Viper running a donut on the rear at 50 MPH is not a pretty site. In fact, we probably should have put a front tire on the back and the donut on the front. That should be less strain on the differential given the different tire diameters.

Steve

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
I had a flat a couple of years ago while visiting in Chicago. While we were driving back to our hotel, the Viper started to pull to the left. Nothing dramatic happened, the car just wanted to go to the left side. Luckily we were right by the exit to our hotel so I got off and watched the left front tire flatten out. No rim damage but there was a small puncture in the tread surface. I put the emergency spare on, dropped off my wife at the hotel and I went to find a tire. All in all it was pretty uneventful.
Gary

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery-operated air pump.
Plug Kit, incl. cement and excellent reemer tool. Don't get a cheap plug insertion tool either.

Keep the donut in the trunk, because the tire may not be repairable.

Also, a flat may create difficulty in getting under the car to jack it up. And if you are lowered, it may be more difficult. So think about how to get under there if you lose a couple of inches in carbody height.

And most importantly, be very aware of losing air in your low profile tires, because you can ruin a tire very quickly, unless it is a run flat.

There, my two cents. Now I need to get a life and get back to my drumset.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang