Anyone have a link on how to rebuild '02 OEM front brake calipers?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend you look for someone in the local VCA to do it with you. Members here could give you the painful step-by-step on the forum, but if this is your first time rebuilding brakes and you are doing it because the pad went to zero and melted the dust boots, then you should have someone else's eyeballs looking at the carcass just in case there is more to fix.

For example, if the pads are very worn, then the pistons are greatly extended out of the caliper, further than they ever normally would be. If the dust boots are gone, then the sides of the pistons were exposed to dirt, pad debris, sparks... You don't want to just slap that one back together.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I too share the very real concerns written above, MY question to you was really just asking whether or not you wanted me to fax the applicable portion of the 2002 Service Manual to you.

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I too share the very real concerns written above, MY question to you was really just asking whether or not you wanted me to fax the applicable portion of the 2002 Service Manual to you.

Yes can you fax me the applicable portion of the service manual?
That would be great. I will PM you. :)

SCCAviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have new seals at good price. Did the same many times. If not, have set of F calabers (new take-offs) at not much more.

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did the rebuild.
Was very easy once I read up on it.
Also saw a vid on youtube. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HdFdmueLsA[/media]
No sweat!

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super easy job. Not much to them. Pistons, o-rings and dust covers. An air compressor helps to get the pistons out. After that its pretty well self explanatory. Good time then to send them out for powdercoating. Dig deep for parts regardless of who or where you get them from.