Anyone have a Radiator hose blow off on them while tracking?

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was running really fast at Sears point and the temp gauge was reading 250 plus. I failed to really keep a close eye on the temp gauge and then I heard a puff and a bunch of steam came out from under the hood. I pulled of the track and found the upper radiator hose detached from the radiator. The clamp just couldn't hold on. I reattached the hose and everything was fine. It wasn't really hot outside and I have run in really hot weather in the past without any problems. I was using redline water weter. The car is basically stock.

Anyone have this happen to them before?
Is this common?
How do I prevent it?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to check your coolant recovery tank cap to see if its opening up at 16 psi (or whatever they're supposed to release at). If the pressure got too high it could push a hose off. Mine starting leaking at the top hose because of this.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, the exact same thing happened to me at Moroso in January. First time in five years of tracking though.

Pretty cool. I was on the backstretch setting up to pass a group I'd been chasing for a couple laps and, ****! Could hear it blow and the windshield full of water. Badass.