Anyone have an unfixable oil leak on their engine??

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else out there has tried to fix all seals on their motor and still produced an oil leak

Last edited:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where from? Preping the surface for seals is very important and if the metal is pitted sometimes it'll leak after replacing seals.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
earlier Gen 2's had PPS. Porous Pan Syndrome. Oil pan's leaked through the pan itself if I remember correctly.
could this be your problem ?

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1998 leaked through the oil pan itself. Dodge didn't fix it under warranty. After 2 pan gaskets,teflon taping the pan bolts and silicone sealing everything. I had to buy a new pan and the leak stopped. Still have the old one around somewhere.

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 1998 leaked through the oil pan itself. Dodge didn't fix it under warranty. After 2 pan gaskets,teflon taping the pan bolts and silicone sealing everything. I had to buy a new pan and the leak stopped. Still have the old one around somewhere.

Where on the pan was it leaking???

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Title states "on the engine"...hmm...do you mean that oil is leaking into the valley area under the intake? If so, it's probably your CCV orifice leaking atop the block. Where exactly is the oil leaking?

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm starting to notice the same thing. I saw a small spot in the garage also. I'll have to get under there and really trace it. Mite be just the gasket, but I am thinking that it is the pan porosity syndrome. Such a pain.....:(

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine leaked on the drivers side front about 1/2" down from the top of the pan inside the recessed area for either the number 2 or 3 pan bolt. The hardest part of the fix was to realize that it was the pan. It is at least a 1/4" thick. So I cleaned up all the oil drips and the pan and I found the area that got damp with the oil. Took all of 5 minutes.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You still have not told us exactly where the area of your oil leak is? Top, Front, Rear or Bottom of the engine?

The pan bolts can be an issue. If you have removed the sump pan and gasket, its worth getting a can of brake cleaner and clean out each pan bolt hole on the engine block. Make sure your eyes are well protected when doing this. the spray goes everywhere under pressure, clean the threads of the pan bolts too. Some people put gasket sealant on the pan bolt threads. What is the condition of the pan gasket?

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have PPS, and don't want to spring for a new pan over the minor annoyance of an oil leak, you can drain the oil, clean the pan in that area very well with brake cleaner for a few days in a row, scuff it up with some course sandpaper, and put a coating of JB Weld over the porous area. It won't look all that pretty, but it will stop the leak and really, how often do people look at your oil pan?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21