Anyone have the clear tape which goes on the side sills for rock chips?

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm repainting my car and would like to put these back on. The tape goes on right behind front tire and on the side sill right before the black side exhaust.

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Rick replaced my side sills the clear tape was put back on after paint. You might want to give Nancy a call at Woodhouse.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might by 3M tape and cut out what you need. Last time I checked, the factory parts were very pricy and remember there are three pieces per side, on behind the front tire, one on the bulge before the black painted exhaust, and one at the black exhaust kickout.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Keith stated, use the 3m tape. Can be purchased in rolls from a body shop supply house. The factory precut tape is very expensive. John

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rear exit exhauset side sills also used 2 or 3 pieces of clear tape...? I had my side sills repainted, and the shop
ordered the factory part numbers...They applied the piece of tape behind the front tire, but they had a devil of a time applying the
piece on the bulge, and eventually threw it away in disgust...Maybe they just had a bad day...I think there was a 3rd piece, can't recall.
Definetly there were two pieces per side per factory parts book.

I am sure my side sills were totally untouched when I got the car, and there was NO tape on the bulge in the side sill...

Tomer
96 RT/10

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On 1996 and up - only 2 pieces of tape - on the front edge and rear edge of the sills - no tape on the bulge section.

I have a set of all the tape pieces and have been meaning to get to Kinko's to copy the shapes so I only have to buy them ONCE and could send it to whomever. Will try to do that tomorrow and then could send out a copy to anyone who wanted a template. I'd say fax, but more fax machines shrink the original document some to make sure you don't lose any of it....

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cheapest and best way is to go to http://www.clearbra.com/paint/scotchal.html, and buy bulk material in 1' by whatever you want. I would think a couple sq.ft. of this stuff is all you would need.

Cut it out a little larger than necessary for where you want to put it, clean the area very well, spray on a solution of 50% rubbing alcohol and water, peel off the protective layer from the tape, squeegie it to the flat surface, then STRETCH and squeegie it around any curves. Use a razor to lightly score the part you don't want, then peel it off. The material will tear off along the score mark. If you look around on the website, they give you all the directions you need. My last order included directions AND a squeegie, but it was a larger order.

If you screw up, do it again. This stuff is cheap and they deliver in 2 working days.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any problem with the heat of the sidesills at the buldge? Tape yellowing or distorting? I've been hesitating to put the clear tape there because that area gets quite hot on my car. Much hotter than the leading or trailing edge.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I taped the WHOLE surface area of both of my sidesills about 1.5 years ago, and I can see no yellowing, BUT the material is starting to show, at various angles, a surface cobweb appearance, which I assume is the heat getting to it. It still looks good to me, and if I wanted to, could remove the stuff, clean of any residue, and do it again.

I know this for sure --- there isn't one gravel nick anywhere on the sidesills, including the bottom --- good as new. Any unprotected sidesill will have nicks on the bottom, front (if not taped), and the bulge (if not taped). Guaranteed. Many don't worry about this road rash, but I do. Next guy that gets this car may appreciate it.

I did the same with my SRT-10. Glad those sills are cooler.

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes Jeff that would be me! I have many OEM anti chips sets available. Price for all 6 pieces is 89.95!! Dodge LIST price as of last week is $258.00 plus Tax for set of 6! (Gulp)!

If any need a set...Let me know?

Ernie