Anyone have this problem???

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone expirencing this problem ???? Is there a fix for it ???

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Is this the bumper or the hood? How do i fix it ?

Reaction score
What is the problem? Is one side a little more of a gap than the other? Hard to tell because each ppicture appears to have been taken from a different distance.

Those are somewhat adjustable.....but chances are you'll make it worse if you haven't done it before. Based on what I see in the pictures...ignore it and have fun. :)

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes indeed. and everytime i drive it changes. sometimes bigger sometimes smaller. cant seem to figure it out

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming he means how the gap isnt even on both sides. If so, yes, its a very common problem with the clamshell hoods. You can try to adjust the hood some, but very few Vipers have the same gap on each side. Its a characteristic of the cars being handmade or either prior front end damage

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
must be the gap.
most cars are similar, unless someone spends alot of time adjusting.
you may also notice that the gap will change if the car is in the sun, as the heat causes expansion.

unlike a metal car, there are a lot of composite parts in the front end that have "play" and can change with even a rough ride on a bumpy road.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the car is clean. never had any damage anywhere. i got the car and everything was perfect on it. since i took over i started noticeing some changes. guy before me never drove it hard though. but i hate seeing it like that. its almost touching in real life. picmakes it look a little better. is this problem fixable? i will bring it to someone to have it done if the problem can be fixed

Reaction score
There are so many things you can try. You can try to adjust the bump stop, you can try to adjust the latch mechanism, you can try to give it a firm (but NOT har) tub in the upward direction after you close the hood (this also helps you make sure it latched). To say it is somewhat of a choreography to make it "perfect" would be the understatement of the year. :)

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahahaha. i hear ya. the problem actually started when i when into my driveway to fast. it hit the bumper and raised it a bit. well from what it appeared to be. but sometimes the bad side becomes better then the good side....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been discussed many times here. Do a search for "hood gap". I had about a 1/2" gap on mine that bugged me, but by fiddeling with the latches and rubber bump stops I got it down to about 3/8" and even on both sides.