Anyone here own a 996 turbo and a SRT-10?

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone here own a 996 turbo and a SRT-10?

I'm interested on some feedback regarding the two car. I'm a former 2003 Z06, and 1999 GTS-ACR owner looking to potentially get a srt-10 or a 996 turbo

Both are in the same price range, ~$75k for a 2003 srt-10, and $75-80k for a cheaper 2001 996 turbo.

Yes i know both are fast in an accelartion test, but i'm more interested in steering and braking feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Ting

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both. My Porsche is a 1996 Twin Turbo heavily modified Engine, Turbos, Suspension, Exhaust, Body). I can only say that the newer Porsche (stock)is a very refined car. Everything is so smooth. I have more fun driving the Viper than a 2001 or newer Stock Turbo Porsche. The 96 I have is just as fun as the porsche. It's air cooled and heavily modified though. I have a friend selling a modified 2001 Turbo. It's probably more money than you want to spend, but it's beautiful. Silver/ Charcoal, Low miles, Ruf front bumper, wheels and wing, Extremely loaded (nav,etc), Modified turbos, exhaust, ecu etc. Around 100K. The car had a 135 sticker when new plus all the upgrades.

The Porsche is also All Wheel Drive, so the steering feel is much different.

Brandon

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded my 02 996 Turbo for a 04 srt-10. Way more fun! The turbo drives itself. The Viper;to me offers more fun and gets way more looks then the Turbo.
The brakes are better and so is the accellllaration. The only thing I dislike about the srt is the way it wanders and tramlines on the ruts on the HWY. The Porsche never did that. Other then that go with the Viper!

mnsilversrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a 2002 996 non-turbo, but considered the exact same scenerio... 01 996 Turbo or SRT-10. I have driven numerous 996 Turbos including the X50.

The 911 is smoother, quieter, and way more refined. I feel the viper is more challenging and fun to drive. The Viper does tend to dart "in and out" of the wheel ruts in the road. The 996 with PSM is a no brainer to drive fast and to the limit. I agree you get way more looks than in the 911.

...in the end, I went with the SRT10.

OP
OP
T

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperBran,

Is your friend with the porsche for sale "Detailer" or whatever his name is? He got a Gallardo right?

I own both. My Porsche is a 1996 Twin Turbo heavily modified Engine, Turbos, Suspension, Exhaust, Body). I can only say that the newer Porsche (stock)is a very refined car. Everything is so smooth. I have more fun driving the Viper than a 2001 or newer Stock Turbo Porsche. The 96 I have is just as fun as the porsche. It's air cooled and heavily modified though. I have a friend selling a modified 2001 Turbo. It's probably more money than you want to spend, but it's beautiful. Silver/ Charcoal, Low miles, Ruf front bumper, wheels and wing, Extremely loaded (nav,etc), Modified turbos, exhaust, ecu etc. Around 100K. The car had a 135 sticker when new plus all the upgrades.

The Porsche is also All Wheel Drive, so the steering feel is much different.

Brandon