Anyone install the new Mygig head unit in a gen 3?

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am interested in replacing the head unit in my '05. I want something that I can use a thumbdrive or SD card in, but I love the mygig in my challenger. Just wondering if anyone has tried that, and how much of a pain it is? I know the dash will have to be modified to use it, but it might be worth it. I did a search, and found a post about a member here asking for interest in producing a kit for mygig, but the last reply was 2 years ago.

Thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Unless something has changed, the adapter shown above is NOT going to work. The LockPicks were designed to convert the earlier CAN system used in the cars that had the REC Navigation systems [such as 06/07 Jeeps] and allow them to be fitted with the later CAN radios like the MyGig. The Viper is NOT CAN, it is J1850, and is not supported by the LockPick whatsoever. I will check again tomorrow and see if anything has changed, but these are the same A-holes that I couldn't even get to call me back to make a CAN "turn on" module, which would just be a variation of the LockPick Programming... and it would have been a sizable order and they knew it.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The adaptor worked just fine in my car, I have a pioneer z3 now . but when I try the my mygig with the adaptor it worked just fine. Im not sure what model mygig I had. What I can tell you is that that set up worked on my car.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, you are saying you had a MyGig in a Viper? If so, what year Viper was it and when was this done? Any pictures?

If what you are saying is the case, you are the ONLY one I know of, and something must have changed with the LockPick's. I still cannot find anything, anywhere that states that a MyGig adapter has been used successfully in a PCI Bus car, even right now.

If this is the case, I need to get back on this project this winter.

Last edited:

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a JVC double DIN nav unit that I am very happy with. I have a 16gig SD loaded up and also an iPod cable. If I don't feel like plugging in, I can listen to iPhone music via bluetooth. The bluetooth hands free mic works very well, even with the top down. The backup camera is also helpful.

I had a professional install it.

You must be registered for see images attach

~Jay

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is a 2003 and the lock pick I got was an adaptor to convert the signal to can bus, the kit I got was for a jeep cherokee and the stereo was out of an mini van. no pics I only had it for a month before the custom pioneer z3 install on the car.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The car is a 2003 and the lock pick I got was an adaptor to convert the signal to can bus, the kit I got was for a jeep cherokee and the stereo was out of an mini van. no pics I only had it for a month before the custom pioneer z3 install on the car.

I guess I will have to do some more digging, but everything I find, even on their own website, says that this isnt the case. The Adapter was designed to convert one CAN type to another, not convert PCI to CAN. The Viper is not even a CAN car, and all of the vehicles listed in applications are CAN cars. And then the question remains, why in the world would you go through the hassle of making a MyGig fit, get a Bus Converted, and then reinvent the wheel less than a month later with a system that has almost the same capabilities as a MyGig? Something doesn't add up in this whole equation. I am not trying to sound like I don't believe you, but every single thing I have seen, tried, read and talked to these companies about points in the opposite direction. Either you had your hands on an Unobtanium Adapter, or something in the story is being left out.

Right here off of LockPick's Website:

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica] APPLICATIONS INCLUDE :
2006-08 RAM TRUCKS
2007 ASPEN
2004-2007 DURANGO
2005-2007 300
2005-2007 MAGNUM
2006-2007 CHARGER
2007-2008 COMPASS
2007-2008 PATRIOT
2005-2007 DAKOTA
2008 CALIBER
2006-2008 PT CRUISER
2005-2007 CHEROKEE
2006-2007 COMMANDER
** LATER MODELS OF THESE VEHICLES ARE ALREADY MYGIG READY. MODELS AND YEARS NOT LISTED ARE NOT COMPATIBLE OR CAPABLE OF USING A MYGIG RADIO. **

[/FONT]

Thats not to say a CAN Turn-On Module doesnt exist, one DOES, for bench testing MyGig's... but the only ones I have seen were built by those radio companies, and they arent selling them.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the mygig was ok but is no z3 . the stereo ended up on a ram truck after I was done with it. your looking at the wrong thing look for the adaptor for earlier cars or trucks.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
the mygig was ok but is no z3 . the stereo ended up on a ram truck after I was done with it. your looking at the wrong thing look for the adaptor for earlier cars or trucks.

That *IS* the adapter for the earlier cars and trucks.

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone just email the vendor of the lockpick device and see if they will work to convert the Gen 3 or Gen 4 Viper that is not a CANBUS system. From reading their description it sounds like that unit will do just that. (From the link provided by Cubican).

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone just email the vendor of the lockpick device and see if they will work to convert the Gen 3 or Gen 4 Viper that is not a CANBUS system. From reading their description it sounds like that unit will do just that. (From the link provided by Cubican).

LOL, I have done that MANY times, and called them too. Their answer is NO.

Try reading the YELLOW BOX on the page that he linked, that is what I quoted above.

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes I see the vehicle list, but no where there does it actually state it will only work with CAN BUS systems.

From my interpretation I think it may indeed work, as this statement quoted from there website makes me think so.

"We received many requests for a means to put a factory MYGIG radio into earlier model Chrysler Dodge and Jeep vehicles where the communication and cabling had prevented this type of upgrade. The MYGIG LOCKPICK v.3 ADAPTER has been created and seamlessly integrates the MYGIG radio to these applications."
As the Viper is not CAN BUS, it falls into not having the correct communication or cabling category and this product should apparently solve that from how I read into it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes I see the vehicle list, but no where there does it actually state it will only work with CAN BUS systems.

From my interpretation I think it may indeed work, as this statement quoted from there website makes me think so.

"We received many requests for a means to put a factory MYGIG radio into earlier model Chrysler Dodge and Jeep vehicles where the communication and cabling had prevented this type of upgrade. The MYGIG LOCKPICK v.3 ADAPTER has been created and seamlessly integrates the MYGIG radio to these applications."
As the Viper is not CAN BUS, it falls into not having the correct communication or cabling category and this product should apparently solve that from how I read into it.

You are not understanding the whole point of the Adapter. The Adapter was designed to allow the Newer MyGig to be put into the OLDER CAN-BUS CARS that were not compatible, NOT THE PCI-BUS CARS.

EVERY single car listed in that Yellow Box is a CAN BUS CAR.

The last line from the Yellow Box: "MODELS AND YEARS NOT LISTED ARE NOT COMPATIBLE OR CAPABLE OF USING A MYGIG RADIO"

You are taking what they are saying out of context, and yes, its THEIR FAULT for not spelling it out correctly.

As I said above, it is not impossible that something has changed, but that page has not changed since I last talked to them about a year ago either.

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well then I am corrected, I had no idea all cars listed on that list were CAN BUS.

Sounds like this webpage needs updating and they need to clarify some of their wording.

OP
OP
S

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Man, I bought an AVIC z120 for my wife's expedition, and I think the mygig is much better. The navigation is better, easier to use, and waiting for the sd card to load is a pain (it doesn't have a hard drive) Apperently, nobody makes an in-dash with a built in hard drive anymore, and the ones that have been made in the last couple of years have been discontinued. I am just exploring my options, but definitely need to get some new tunes in the car soon.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man, I bought an AVIC z120 for my wife's expedition, and I think the mygig is much better. The navigation is better, easier to use, and waiting for the sd card to load is a pain (it doesn't have a hard drive) Apperently, nobody makes an in-dash with a built in hard drive anymore, and the ones that have been made in the last couple of years have been discontinued. I am just exploring my options, but definitely need to get some new tunes in the car soon.

Exactly my point.... something doesnt add up.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/645073-Installing-front-and-rear-stereo-cameras...Pics....
Man, I bought an AVIC z120 for my wife's expedition, and I think the mygig is much better. The navigation is better, easier to use, and waiting for the sd card to load is a pain (it doesn't have a hard drive) Apperently, nobody makes an in-dash with a built in hard drive anymore, and the ones that have been made in the last couple of years have been discontinued. I am just exploring my options, but definitely need to get some new tunes in the car soon.[/QUOTE

The Avic Z3 by pioneer is a hard drive system I can down load over 3000 cd to memory . plus it plays dvd etc. etc. etc. The screen is so much better at 7". Will the my gig work yes, is it woth it no. IMO. There are many other companies that make an adaptor for it (google is your friend). Heres a link of my Z3 install just to clear the air about my knowlege on the subject.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will the my gig work yes, is it woth it no. IMO. There are many other companies that make an adaptor for it (google is your friend). Heres a link of my Z3 install just to clear the air about my knowlege on the subject.

I would strongly disagree with you on Radio Vs. Radio, but to each their own. I have a MyGig in my daily driver, and I would NEVER consider an aftermarket unit. And, the new 730N is even better, with the same fitment.

To your second comment, I say FIND IT FOR US THEN. I am plenty proficient at the Internet, and do this for a living. I have not found anything that justifies what you claim, anywhere. I will gladly concede if someone, anyone can prove me wrong. I WANT TO BE PROVED WRONG. However, the only adapter that anyone has thrown around yet is a LockPick... and that one isn't gonna work according to LockPick, and is confirmed with what I know about the bus systems at hand. One of my specialties is electronics integration, but without a BUS converter or at least a simple CAN-Bus on/off unit, we are dead in the water on this one because of the way the MyGig Radio's work. The MyGig's need a CAN signal to "wake up", which is not the way any of the other radios in these conversations work.

Last edited:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a my gig from an '08 Charger. Can't use it in my '05 SRT 10 Ram, my '07 Wrangler Rubicon or my '09 Viper. Willing to let it go for $500 plus shipping. Includes the uconnect mirror and lifetime sirius. Think you would have to add an antenna.

i did talk to the radio manufacturer, Harmon Karden (or whatever they're called), and they said they weren't aware of a way to make it work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I remember when I was doing research for my challenger, some of the guys were saying to not get the mygig, because you can do better aftermarket for the same price. I decided to get mygig anyway, because I found a car with everything I wanted otherwise. Then when I bought the pioneer for my wife, I was afraid I was going to like the pioneer more. Not to worry. I bought the top of the line pioneer at that time (the z120, about a year ago, which was probably $1200 installed), and I am not impressed with it at all. The sound is great. It makes the stock speakers in the expedition sound a thousand times better than the stock radio did. However, the interface on the unit is not anywhere near as good. I would think that I was just biased towards the challenger, but my wife agrees with me 100%, and she rarely drives the challenger.

In any case, I am still not sure what I want to do. I really don't want to pay $1000-2000 for a top current double din nav unit and not be as happy as I am with the stock stereo in my 2 year old car. I think I will just buy a nice single din unit with usb/ sd card capabilities and wait for Final GTS or lockpick to figure this out (if they ever do)

Thanks for all the advice so far, though everyone.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I bought a my gig from an '08 Charger. Can't use it in my '05 SRT 10 Ram, my '07 Wrangler Rubicon or my '09 Viper. Willing to let it go for $500 plus shipping. Includes the uconnect mirror and lifetime sirius. Think you would have to add an antenna.

i did talk to the radio manufacturer, Harmon Karden (or whatever they're called), and they said they weren't aware of a way to make it work.

Send me over all of the information. What version, condition, part number, etc. If it is a version usable to me for R&D, I will pick it up from you. If agreeable, drop it in a box and send it over on our UPS acct- as soon as I confirm it is what you claim and make sure it works, you get a check in the mail same day. Anyone on this forum can confirm I am good for it and then some, but I do not know who you are, and electrical items are a sketchy topic to start with.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I'll take a look at it tonite. And I did buy it from someone else so no offense at your caution. It looks to be in good condition but couldn't play it.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In any case, I am still not sure what I want to do. I really don't want to pay $1000-2000 for a top current double din nav unit and not be as happy as I am with the stock stereo in my 2 year old car. I think I will just buy a nice single din unit with usb/ sd card capabilities and wait for Final GTS or lockpick to figure this out (if they ever do)

Thanks for all the advice so far, though everyone.

I agree that most aftermarket head units are a disorganized mess and very sluggish compared to good OEM units.

I really like the look of this brand http://www.incaraudiovideo.com/oem-in-dash-navigation-multimedia because it look like an elegant OEM unit, but I don't know if it would work well in a Viper.

I chose the JVC because it was less than $800 and all the reviews on Crutchfield, Amazon, and forums are all outstanding. The 16 gig SD card loads within a few seconds of starting the car and you can scroll through the hundreds of songs very quickly, there is no lag or delay. The hands free is as good as the hands free in my Lexus. The navigation is good, but she talks too much. I like it slightly better than my Garmin, but not quite as much as the Lexus. The JVC can also display the contacts that are on my iPhone. It doesn't need to copy them, it is able to display them via bluetooth. If you ground the parking brake wire you can do everything on the JVC while driving.

The only down side is that the JVC unit doesn't have the iPod jack in the back, it' on the front. My workaround was to have a third party iPod cable installed that is wired to the A/V in on the back. It works fine, but you can't control the iPod from the radio when you do this. If I connect the iPhone via bluetooth, I have some basic control such as pause, skip, and play.

The Lexus navigation is very good and I like it a lot, especially because it has direct access buttons for every function. The JVC is good enough, that I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I drive the Viper.

~Jay

OP
OP
S

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
http://www.incaraudiovideo.com/oem-in-dash-navigation-multimedia

•Amazon Sales Rank: #10874 in Car Audio or Theater
•Brand: Koolertron
•Model: JEP083

Great find, Jay. The one made for the 1.5 din looks like a great deal!! Only $405. Granted, it doesn't have as large a screen as the mygig, but if it really fits easily, and all of the features work like they say they do, that would be a steal. Does anyone have any personal experience with this brand or unit?? It seems like a far better way to go than the factory nav unit (RB1??) that was in the vipers.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PM sent.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.incaraudiovideo.com/oem-in-dash-navigation-multimedia

•Amazon Sales Rank: #10874 in Car Audio or Theater
•Brand: Koolertron
•Model: JEP083

Great find, Jay. The one made for the 1.5 din looks like a great deal!! Only $405. Granted, it doesn't have as large a screen as the mygig, but if it really fits easily, and all of the features work like they say they do, that would be a steal. Does anyone have any personal experience with this brand or unit?? It seems like a far better way to go than the factory nav unit (RB1??) that was in the vipers.

I can't seem to locate a review on any of their brand models. Dissapointing since it looks like a half decent fit.

OP
OP
S

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are some reviews on the product pages for some of the other models on amazon. there is a good one on amazonuk for a subaru application. I might take a chance on this, we will see.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stay away from it. It has the worst and least user friendly GPS/interface I've ever encountered. Terrible.

OP
OP
S

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would stay away from it. It has the worst and least user friendly GPS/interface I've ever encountered. Terrible.

BigDawg, Are you referring to the mygig, or the koolertron? And if the koolertron, where did you see one in person?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery