Anyone install the new Mygig head unit in a gen 3?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, thanks for stepping up with an option for this install. I'm VERY interested in doing this swap. Any pics available of a MyGig installed in a Viper?

Unfortunately, not yet. I have not had anyone step up to the plate to be the first, so I have to wait around until I get a chance to do it myself. Unfortunately, I am crazy busy with everything else going on at the moment. Even though most of the R&D is done, the idea is just sitting on the shelf. I cannot see this ever becoming a "hot seller" because of the costs and the reluctance of this market as a whole to spend money on such things lately, so its not something I can offer a discount on for the first... because the first may be the last for all I know. I was just doing this one for myself in the beginning.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not yet. I have not had anyone step up to the plate to be the first, so I have to wait around until I get a chance to do it myself. Unfortunately, I am crazy busy with everything else going on at the moment. Even though most of the R&D is done, the idea is just sitting on the shelf. I cannot see this ever becoming a "hot seller" because of the costs and the reluctance of this market as a whole to spend money on such things lately, so its not something I can offer a discount on for the first... because the first may be the last for all I know. I was just doing this one for myself in the beginning.

Someone really has to WANT the OEM look to do this. Because once you start going this far, and cutting the bezels to accommodate, it is far cheaper to just buy a Pioneer Double DIN or any of the other numerous manufacturers. If you want to stick with the stock look and keep the bezel untouched, then its RB1 and its limitations.

If the cutting was just the outer bezel, that can easily be purchased. But cutting the inner structure, that is not so easy to replace - or is it? I think that question hangs in some people's minds - is it a permanent alteration?

I also wonder, does the MyGig really look OEM? I say this because Mopar changed the font style on the units from the older RB radios, and it does not match anything else on the Viper. Also the square shape doesn't match the rounded HVAC controls, and that looks off to me, even on aftermarket D-DIN installs I see. Again, once it doesn't really match, then the field opens up to all radios. The RB1 matches perfectly in all respects - but yes, limits you on the accessory options.

I do applaud the effort though!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Someone really has to WANT the OEM look to do this. Because once you start going this far, and cutting the bezels to accommodate, it is far cheaper to just buy a Pioneer Double DIN or any of the other numerous manufacturers. If you want to stick with the stock look and keep the bezel untouched, then its RB1 and its limitations.

If the cutting was just the outer bezel, that can easily be purchased. But cutting the inner structure, that is not so easy to replace - or is it? I think that question hangs in some people's minds - is it a permanent alteration?

I also wonder, does the MyGig really look OEM? I say this because Mopar changed the font style on the units from the older RB radios, and it does not match anything else on the Viper. Also the square shape doesn't match the rounded HVAC controls, and that looks off to me, even on aftermarket D-DIN installs I see. Again, once it doesn't really match, then the field opens up to all radios. The RB1 matches perfectly in all respects - but yes, limits you on the accessory options.

I do applaud the effort though!!

This really does not have much to do with wanting the OEM look, it has to do with OEM performance more than anything. Try to find a radio out there, even in the aftermarket, that has near the feature list of one such as the MyGig- not to mention the fact that it can be set up to run similar connectors and wiring types so you don't have a jumble of wiring behind the dash. The MyGig is also not a true double DIN like the aftermarket radios, you do not need to cut nearly as much out of the dash to fit it. We are talking about 1/16" worth of trimming on top and bottom. That's about it, and no changes to the inner magnesium support structure. The bezel of course needs to be changed, and in fact may just end up being a supplied item or a CF replacement part anyway if this ever went anywhere. The MyGig compared to a Pioneer or other Double Din is not even in the same ballpark in the appearance department. You can always tell an aftermarket unit by the "look and layout" of them.

Let me reiterate again, you cannot even say RB1 and MyGig in the same sentence with a straight face, it really has nothing to do with accessories or options. when talking about them, you are comparing a 12+ year old design that was outdated when it came out, having no touch screen and a disc based nav, to a new generation current production radio with Hard Drive based nav, music storage, gracenotes, bluetooth w/streaming audio [certain versions], DVD, touch screen, built in Siruis tuner, built in AUX ports, built in Rear Video control, backup camera, etc, etc, etc...Zero comparison overall. Much like comparing an analog cell phone to a Galaxy S3 SmartPhone.

Last edited:

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me reiterate again, you cannot even say RB1 and MyGig in the same sentence with a straight face, it really has nothing to do with options. You are comparing a 12+ year old design that was outdated when it came out, having no touch screen and a disc based nav, to a new generation current production radio with Hard Drive based nav, music storage, gracenotes, bluetooth w/streaming audio [certain versions], DVD, touch screen, built in Siruis tuner, built in AUX ports, built in Rear Video control, backup camera, etc, etc, etc...Zero comparison.

I agree the RB1 and MyGig are not comparable. Of course not - I never said that. I said for pure OEM, the RB1 is the only choice with its limitations.

Functionality, I disagree. A Pioneer unit has all those features. The AVIC-Z140BH also ditches the Hard Drive in favor of pure flash memory for navigation data. Pioneer used Hard Drives for many years until now. Plus it has very good iPhone integration, and is software upgradeable. A MyGig is very good, but on par or less than current aftermarket units. Not to mention, the Pioneer is almost purely touchscreen with no buttons. Its basically a huge 7" touchscreen. I have a AVIC-X940BT in my 2005 RAM, which I had to cut up, and that unit is great (also uses Flash instead of Hard Drive).

Anyway, the point here was not to knock your hard work Dan!! It is awesome when someone does so much research and technical analysis. I think the reason no one has stepped up is the cutting. Whether you cut 1/16" or 1/2" (whatever people are doing to get the Double DINs in there), it is still a cut. Once you need to cut, then all options are out there today. If MyGig fit right into that 1.5" DIN spot with rounded corners, I would gladly pay the $699 for the adapter - but Chrysler ditched that form factor. Hard to justify a $699 adapter that is not necessary if you choose something other than MyGig, such as Alpine or Pioneer.

I would be happy to see someone step up and try it though, and see how it LOOKS in there! Maybe you can just mock something up from an older bezel you may have laying around?

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mygig looks awesome. I got the Chinese knockoff a few months back and am pleased with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Luckily I haven't had any problems like others. What is the cost of the Mygig and any install kit?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to update this thread a bit:

We are currently in the middle of acquiring all of the components for this retrofit. The machine shop is making the dash modification jigs, electrical components are already here, and we have begun prototyping on it.

I have decided to take this to the next level as well. In combination with the MyGig radio and all of its internal features, I have also decided to offer [optionally] the substitute of the MyGig Voice Control Microphone, for a replacement rear-view mirror assembly which has an internal microphone, auto-dimming, as well as LED interior lighting. I have the feeling that this will be a popular option. OEM quality, and no more trucks blinding you when driving at night!

On the downside, no matter how you slice it, this will be expensive. The parts alone will be in the ~$2000 range on the low side, even when using a used MyGig and no rear view mirror option, and there is a decent amount of wiring and minor modifications needed for fitment. I am unsure at this point how "end user installable" I can make this- but in any case, it will be offered before long.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan now I am starting to regret not having this done when I was there. You figure out the rear view camera? Is the mygig more powerful also or do you use the stock amp?
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to update this thread a bit:

We are currently in the middle of acquiring all of the components for this retrofit. The machine shop is making the dash modification jigs, electrical components are already here, and we have begun prototyping on it.

I have decided to take this to the next level as well. In combination with the MyGig radio and all of its internal features, I have also decided to offer [optionally] the substitute of the MyGig Voice Control Microphone, for a replacement rear-view mirror assembly which has an internal microphone, auto-dimming, as well as LED interior lighting. I have the feeling that this will be a popular option. OEM quality, and no more trucks blinding you when driving at night!

On the downside, no matter how you slice it, this will be expensive. The parts alone will be in the ~$2000 range on the low side, even when using a used MyGig and no rear view mirror option, and there is a decent amount of wiring and minor modifications needed for fitment. I am unsure at this point how "end user installable" I can make this- but in any case, it will be offered before long.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan can this be done with only cutting/modifying the dash bezel and NOT the dash structure underneath? If so, I'm in.

I'm taking delivery of a 2010 Coupe in a couple of weeks and I will talk to my installer who could do this for me in probably a day.

I'm anxiously waiting ....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan now I am starting to regret not having this done when I was there. You figure out the rear view camera? Is the mygig more powerful also or do you use the stock amp?

Tom-

Right now I will be working with the stock amp. The MyGig does have stronger outputs than the RB1, so we will have to wait and see what the sound quality is like. After this, I will be working on the speaker system a bit and see what I can come up with.

So far as the rear camera goes, I am not sure if I will tackle that one directly. The integration module would need an update in order to output a "reverse" signal for activation- this is a big hassle. A customer could always install a LockPick, which would allow activation of a camera by double-pressing one of the buttons- and this also allows fitment of both a front and rear camera. The other issue is a fairly large wiring hassle stretching clear across the car in order to accomplish this. All in all, it just has "nobody will pay what it costs" written all over it. I am a bit torn on the topic.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan can this be done with only cutting/modifying the dash bezel and NOT the dash structure underneath? If so, I'm in.

I'm taking delivery of a 2010 Coupe in a couple of weeks and I will talk to my installer who could do this for me in probably a day.

I'm anxiously waiting ....

Hello,

The internal dash requires very minor trimming, about 1/16 of an inch or so- barely noticeable.

However, this is absolutely not a modification that your installer will be able to accomplish. This is a very large undertaking with regard to electrical systems. I am still unsure if I will be able to make this an end-user installable package, they all might need to be done here initially.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subbed. Keenly interested but might be breaking the bank on this one.

Would love to be able to end user install since I am clear across the continent but I also understand the extreme nature of the install.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I *think* I can at least make the basic MyGig end user installable. However, the wiring harnesses needed for the rear-view mirror and other options and the manner in which they are assembled makes it tough. The wiring through the windshield frame is too small to allow terminals and connectors through- the harness needs to be built outside, installed, and then terminated once it is in the frame.

The only thing I am considering, is that I may be able to send instructions, an unfinished wiring harness with all of the parts needed to finish it, along with the required tools.... and a BIG deposit on the needed tooling to guarantee I get it all back ASAP- that would make it doable at your own risk. However, there is easily $2500 in tools and brackets needed to properly assemble the harnesses and complete the install. In order to do this, I would need at least ~10 people on board to justify the time to write the instructions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang