Anyone know of a Supercharged GTS with Wyoming plates in AZ?

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw it last Saturday night at the Scottsdale Pavilions, it had a Roe Supercharger and HRE wheels. Not sure of the year but it was blue with white stripes so I assume it was a 96 or 97. I believe the owner said it had 649 RWHP and 802 RWTQ.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw it last Saturday night at the Scottsdale Pavilions, it had a Roe Supercharger and HRE wheels. Not sure of the year but it was blue with white stripes so I assume it was a 96 or 97. I believe the owner said it had 649 RWHP and 802 RWTQ.

I know the guy in the VCA AZ Chapter with that car, although he must have recently added the 'charger. He also owns a ketchup/mustard Gen I with NX and a Venzano interior. His GTS is gorgeous. It's a 97, lowered, Stoptechs, B&B straight exhaust, etc. Great guy too.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the details of the race Guilly?
Bet he does not want to say. :shocked: Remember all a blown Viper needs to say to a monster Supra guy is "pump gas and street tires" any place, any time. :D I saw the car in question at the Arizona Club run to Payson two weeks ago. Nice car.

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my car drinks only a mix of C16 (6 gallons per tank, I get the stuff delivered to my house) and 91 octane since I only drive it on the weekends:)

Travis, I had the boost set at 24.5 PSI (probably 725 to 750 RWHP as it made 826 RWHP at 29.4 PSI). The Viper owner was leaving the Pavillions as I was giving Greg a ride in the Supra. Seeing a worthy competitor I figured I would see if he was game and followed him to the freeway (it was no coincidence that I decided to give Greg a ride at that moment:) ). The Viper owner was on the right lane and I was behind him, I got on it and let off right next to him and coasted ahead of him to let him know I'm game. He got behind me in the middle lane and did a similar thing and passed me on the left lane and revved on me. So I followed him. He got around some traffic and got in the middle lane (middle and left lane wide open) and wiated for me at about 80 MPH. I started to slowly catch up to him and he punched it as I was to his rear bumper, he of course got a good jump (802 RWTQ will do that), I was in 3rd and punched it. I quickly shifted into 4th and when I was about even with him (I made up about 1 and a half car lengths) he missed 4th gear and of course then I passed him very quickly. I gave him the ole "thanks for the race"/acknwoledgement flashers and slowed down to about 70 MPH to see if he wanted to line them up again (especially since he missed 4th) but he never came up to me :(

BTW Travis let me know how the sale of your GTS goes. There's a good chance I may pick it up! Will know soon.

What are the details of the race Guilly?
Bet he does not want to say. :shocked: Remember all a blown Viper needs to say to a monster Supra guy is "pump gas and street tires" any place, any time. :D I saw the car in question at the Arizona Club run to Payson two weeks ago. Nice car.

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this car ... it was for sale last spring. I was interested in it. All th research I did with the local Viper Tech and the VCA said it was well maintained bitchin car.

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LIRacer, it certainly looked AWESOME, nice condition, nice wheels, and the Roe SC.

Clint, the B&B exhaust on that car was LOUD! I'm thinking he has no cats from how loud it was and compared to Vipers other friends of mine own without cats. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet the owner as he was speaking to a group of "kids", seemed like a nice guy, hopefully I'll get to meet him next time.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I know that car. It is awesome and the owner is a nice guy as well. I purchased another Viper from him about 2 mos ago. The car is straight exhaust, no cats. Very loud, very fast. :)

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I left for VOI last Sunday so I havnt read anything on here since then. Hey Supra your right low beam is burnt out. I was there with a friend in his 72 Chevelle. I told him I would follow him home and the Supra comes to play. I am not a street racer and I wasnt going to do anything until I saw his plate (VIPREATR). So I pulled beside my friend and motioned to him I was going to play. I would agree with his description, but I didn't miss fourth. He was about at my door when I steped on it but by the time I was goint to shift to fourth he was no longer beside me and I did a noise making throttle stab. I pulled away so fast I was not sure if he had not steped on it or not so I gave up the fight. When I was coasting he went by. I waited for my friend who was behind us. I would love to go to the track and play. As I said street racing is not for me. It looked like a very nice car but it seems we need to try it again to clear things up a bit.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Well, at least all agree which car was in front regardless of a missed shift or just letting off the gas.

A 3-4 missed shift? I don’t think soooo.... esp. for that driver (btw- a 3-4 ~ That’s where you just pull the lever back, right?)

SO, the Faster car is in front and lets off the gas. Slower car stays in the gas and passes the faster car. IMPressive!

Bit of a tip since you were looking at the rear of the Viper; The 96 white stripes go through the license plate area but the 97 is all blue in the license plate area. :smirk:
Not sure of the year but it was blue with white stripes so I assume it was a 96 or97

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the "tip" on the stripes and different years, I did not know there was a difference.

Here's a tip from me to you, reread the race post. He hit it (nailed it, got on it, etc.) while I was BEHIND him and I made up roughly 1.5 car lenghts between ~80 MPH and 120 MPH and was EVEN with him (meaning I was passing him) when he missed a gear (letting off doesn't sound like you are banging into the rev limiter repeatedly, and you could easily tell considering how loud that car is) which I assume was 4th since everyone I know with a Viper shifts into 4th at around 120 MPH (redline, stock gearing) while racing. Unfortunately after this happened he didn't want to race again as I waited for him driving at around 65 to 70 MPH for a couple of minutes.

But hey if you know the driver and he wants to go at it again I'm game;)

Well, at least all agree which car was in front regardless of a missed shift or just letting off the gas.

A 3-4 missed shift? I don’t think soooo.... esp. for that driver (btw- a 3-4 ~ That’s where you just pull the lever back, right?)

SO, the Faster car is in front and lets off the gas. Slower car stays in the gas and passes the faster car. IMPressive!

Bit of a tip since you were looking at the rear of the Viper; The 96 white stripes go through the license plate area but the 97 is all blue in the license plate area. :smirk:
Not sure of the year but it was blue with white stripes so I assume it was a 96 or97

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I AM the driver of the Viper. You NEVER got beside me until I let off the gas. I bliped the throttle ONCE and never hit the rev limiter!! The exhaust really sounds nice from the rear doesnt it? I dont want to trash talk or knock your car, just stating the facts. I would like to get to know you and your car and play more. It is more fun to play when you know each other.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I AM the driver of the Viper. You NEVER got beside me until I let off the gas. I bliped the throttle ONCE and never hit the rev limiter!! The exhaust really sounds nice from the rear doesnt it? I dont want to trash talk or knock your car, just stating the facts. I would like to get to know you and your car and play more. It is more fun to play when you know each other.
You are on to the correct solution. Get together, go to lunch, then drain your gas tanks, throw 3 gallons of 91 octane premium in each car, check for the DOT markings on the rear tires, then go have a run. You'll have Guilly back on the dyno by tea time. :D

Hey Supra, we have mutual friends so I want to meet you also. Invite me to the re-match.

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
XLR8, all I know is that when you "blipped the engine" I was next to you after making up 1.5 car lenghts:) Not trash talking either, no need for that. But we could meet at the Pavilions this Saturday night if you like (or some other time, I don't have a problem with that), I would like to meet you too. We can then "play" some more. We can both bring others along, if you would like, to witness the "playground activities";) We can have a few other people with cool cars meet up too. Not sure if you decided to do more mods to the car since the race but if so, no biggie I can crank the boost higher on the same mix of gas;)

Phoenix, I'll keep you in the loop. If you like you can email me at [email protected] Who's our mutual friend? Also my car never drinks anything but a mix of race gas and 91 octane. I could run 24.5 PSI on 91 octane (like I was running that night, been there done that) but I prefer the safety of race gas. Also I don't even own a pair of drag radials anymore so the car is always on regular street tires.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This just shows how 2 people view the same thing completely different.....
Both of you sound like nice guys and not boastful...Just different perceptions....
Hope you both get together soon to clear things up..
Its nice not to have a bunch of trash talking going on...
Cheers,

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I would have known you were trying, I would have kept going. From where I was sitting you were going backwards pretty fast. I am set up for any fuel so you can keep the race gas and I will put in some good gas and bump up my timing, boost and fuel pressure also. Sounds like fun. Do you know of any place to play. I am not going to street race. In AZ they can take your car, and the fines are steep. If nothing else lets sign up for a track day at PIR. CHEERS.

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going backwards? Were we racing in reverse?:) If so I agree with you:) The only time I was going backwards was when you did a "Corvette sucker punch":) There's no shame in losing to a ~740 RWHP car in a 649 RWHP car. If your car made 840 RWHP and you raced me and beat me I wouldn't have a problem at all. But the race didn't happen that way and I "think" that's why you didn't want a rematch that night:)

I don't road race my Supra so PIR won't do us any good. I can appreciate the fact that you, or anyone else, roadraces. That night you "street" raced so what's another "street" race. If you like I'll even keep the same boost and leave 100 RWHP on the table. We can both get video cameras. Cheers:)

I wish I would have known you were trying, I would have kept going. From where I was sitting you were going backwards pretty fast. I am set up for any fuel so you can keep the race gas and I will put in some good gas and bump up my timing, boost and fuel pressure also. Sounds like fun. Do you know of any place to play. I am not going to street race. In AZ they can take your car, and the fines are steep. If nothing else lets sign up for a track day at PIR. CHEERS.

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all.

Guillys account is accurate. I was in the car with him. We were in the left lane creaping up on the Vipen in the center lane. Guilly and I both thought that the Viper driver wanted to race when the cars were next to on another. Mind you, we are only going about 3-5 mph faster than the Viper at this point. As we are coming up to the rear of the Viper, XLR8 nails the throttle. He instantly gets about 1-1.5 car lengths on us. Therefore we are at about a 2+ car disadvantage + reation time. Guilly nails it and we start reeling him in once those little turbo's were spooled. We are just at his quarter panel when he missed 4th gear. Yes, it is possible to miss 4th gear, just as it's possible to miss any gear. At that point, he just disappeared. Guilly let out of it and slowed back down to see if XLR8 wanted to race again, but he never came back up with us. At that point, we just went back to the Pavillions.

I seriously doubt that the Viper owner was staring in his mirror monitoring our progress while we are on the freeway with other vehicles going 120+ mph. Also, from the time he did his "noise making throttle stab"/missed shift to the time we went flying by was only a split second. It wasn't like he was 20 cars in front of us, put it in 6th gear and was just coasting for 5-10 seconds waiting for us to catch up.

Another thing, in street racing, it's "Run what ya brung". In other words, it doesn't matter who is on what tires and on what gas, with what power adder, in whatever car.

To sum it up, the Viper got the jump thanks to a blown 488" motor vs. a turbocharged 180" motor. However, thanks to more peak horsepower and racing from a freeway punch, the Supra was faster. Had the race continued for a couple of seconds longer, the Viper would have been reading Guillys plate once more.

Yes folks, it is possible for a supercharged Viper to lose a race. Are we taking anything away from the Viper? Absolutely not. That is a kick-ass car. Guilly will tell you the same thing.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the clarification kwkshift. I've been losing sleep over this whole encounter since I saw the first post. We will all rest easier now that you've shared your un-biased first hand account of what happened out in the deserts of Arizona :) Thanks again. :)

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Greg, thanks for the supporting post:) And I agree, any Viper is a kicka$$ car, more so a Supercharged Viper, and this car looks sweet with the wheels it has:)

Hello all.

Guillys account is accurate. I was in the car with him. We were in the left lane creaping up on the Vipen in the center lane. Guilly and I both thought that the Viper driver wanted to race when the cars were next to on another. Mind you, we are only going about 3-5 mph faster than the Viper at this point. As we are coming up to the rear of the Viper, XLR8 nails the throttle. He instantly gets about 1-1.5 car lengths on us. Therefore we are at about a 2+ car disadvantage + reation time. Guilly nails it and we start reeling him in once those little turbo's were spooled. We are just at his quarter panel when he missed 4th gear. Yes, it is possible to miss 4th gear, just as it's possible to miss any gear. At that point, he just disappeared. Guilly let out of it and slowed back down to see if XLR8 wanted to race again, but he never came back up with us. At that point, we just went back to the Pavillions.

I seriously doubt that the Viper owner was staring in his mirror monitoring our progress while we are on the freeway with other vehicles going 120+ mph. Also, from the time he did his "noise making throttle stab"/missed shift to the time we went flying by was only a split second. It wasn't like he was 20 cars in front of us, put it in 6th gear and was just coasting for 5-10 seconds waiting for us to catch up.

Another thing, in street racing, it's "Run what ya brung". In other words, it doesn't matter who is on what tires and on what gas, with what power adder, in whatever car.

To sum it up, the Viper got the jump thanks to a blown 488" motor vs. a turbocharged 180" motor. However, thanks to more peak horsepower and racing from a freeway punch, the Supra was faster. Had the race continued for a couple of seconds longer, the Viper would have been reading Guillys plate once more.

Yes folks, it is possible for a supercharged Viper to lose a race. Are we taking anything away from the Viper? Absolutely not. That is a kick-ass car. Guilly will tell you the same thing.