anyone leave their battery tender on when car is covered?

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi all,i was about to buy a tender, and was wondering if there was anyone who leaves theirs connected while the car is covered. i know during old style charging methods gasses are released. is this true with a tender? i dont want the gasses trapped to create a potential bomb, or damage the car in any way. i did a search and cant find anything on this. thanks, rich.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on constantly with car covered, sometimes months at a time, no problems after
many years of ownership

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the best battery tender?

I bought the Battery Tender and although it is probably overkill it states not to have in enclosed space. With a car cover not a big deal but I stored mine in a storage bag.

Regardless, it not an issue with the Battery Tender. The cord that connects to the battery is long enough for the tender to be outside, hook up to post and ground under hood, driver side. The power cord is long too. They also make extension kits for a few bucks to have the charger 15 feet from the car.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Still not mentioned is the fact that "Battery Tender Plus" has a quick-disconnect that attaches to the pos post in engine compartment and neg stud on rocker. Run the end thru the side vent for convenience. If yours doesn't have one a little ingenuity and a trip to Autozone and you can make one. Don't worry about cover. AT

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does everyone suggest keeping a battery tender hooked up anytime the car is sitting idle in the garage. I bought mine in July and have never had a problem with the battery yet, but I don't want to either. If it will help avoid a problem, I'll go get one today.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, it should be used on any battery that isn't used every day. Battery Tender was the brand I chose.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's how I do mine. Permanently mounted on the car -- just run extension cord through the gill to the plug when it is covered. No problems!

6594Schumacher-med.jpg

In the summer I tuck the plug back up out of the way.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Yes, it should be used on any battery that isn't used every day"

No, that's not true.
You can leave it hooked up all the time but there is no reason to use a battery tender in a car that get's driven a few hours every month.

If you are going to store your Viper over the winter or while you are out of town for a few months,
go ahead and use it.
You probably don't need it but it wont hurt anything as long as it is a low amp unit.

You for sure don't need it for a battery that isn't used every day.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also,
the warning about not having it hooked up while the cover is on;

That warning is a little far fetched for a low current charger but what they are warning you about is hydrogen gas from the battery getting caught under the car cover.

They are not warning you about having the charger unit under the cover.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I always want a full battery charge before I go on track. I guess I am superstitious like that about some things.
Sometime, when I get back to the pits, and connect the battery tender, it immediately goes to the green light - fully charged. Sometimes not!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you have an alternator?

Is the alternator charging the battery while you are out on the track?

Do you know that the alternator charges your battery at a rate that is about 300 times what your tender can?

What do you think is going to happen to the charge in the battery while you are sitting in the pits waiting for the next run?

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes
Yes
Yes
The charge in the battery begins to diminish as soon as the car is started. Idle through the pits, idle over to the staging area & shut off. Start engine again, and idle to either the hot pits, or another line-up area. Then track time. Like I said, some tracks fully charge the battery. Sometimes, I have to drive over to the Steward, or the timing trailer, or a lot of people stop me and want to talk. I just feel better know I have a full charge when I start each session.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok,
you said "yes" to everything.

If you know all that, please tell me how connecting the little tender for an hour or two or three or even a day,
is going to change anything.

"The charge in the battery begins to diminish as soon as the car is started."

Where do you get this idea?

No,
When you have the car running, even at idle speed, it is charging.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I'm installing my battery tender plus tonight! That's awesome that it comes with the pigtail for quick hook-ups. I just had to find a nut for the stud on my rocker panel.....now I'm ready to go. I just bought a new battery in August and in sitting for three weeks, I have a dead battery. Sounds like these tenders are a must for Viper owners.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If your battery went dead after sitting for three weeks,
you have an electrical problem.

Vipers don't need battery tenders any more than a 1956 Buick needed one.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, I have a couple of battery chargers in case I need one for my boats or cars or lawnmower.

What has me owning one of these got to do with anything?

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeesh, Guys, for $40 a Batt Tender will keep your battery in top charge. It automatically monitors the batt and keeps at optimum charge. If you leave the alarm on it covers that too. My garage is not heated and the outside temp last nite was 10*. I start it up 2-3 times a month and never worry. Considering the cost and PITA factor of replacing one, it's cheap ins. And no, I'm not a Batt Tender rep.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

10 degrees and a car that gets started every couple of weeks is one thing.

Connecting it every time you turn the car off, on a car that gets used all the time is another.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe117, Whether you believe it or not, Vipers draw more power than usual from their battery when they sit. I'm not an electrician and frankly don't get along with wiring but I've heard more people complain here about their batteries dying than anywhere. Haven't you? Do you think we all have electrical issues? Maybe you just found a recall.

The battery tender will always keep your battery at full charge. No cycling up and down. It takes 10 seconds to hook up. I'll have it on all winter and every time I park it if I don't think I'll be driving it in 4 or 5 days.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

" Vipers draw more power than usual from their battery when they sit."

I don't believe this is true. There are specs for how many milliamps a Viper will draw from the battery when it is turned off and sitting unused.

I can't remember what the drain is but we have talked about the number here in the past and it isn't much. It's about a tenth of an amp as I recall.

Even if it was double that, it isn't any more than other cars and it isn't anywhere near enough to cause anyone to use a battery tender unless they are going to store their car for an extended period.

What is an extended period?
Well, I'd say two months.
If you know you wont be using the car for two months, hook up the tender.

I can tell you why I say two months if you like. I hope you can tell me why you think that "4 or 5 days" is more appropriate.
Please base your explanation on the battery capacity and the specified current drain of a Viper with no electrical problems.

One guy said that he leaves his V1 turned on all the time when the car is unused and the drain from that doesn't cause him any dead battery problems.

"I've heard more people complain here about their batteries dying than anywhere."

If you look at all the 10 year old Vipers sitting around with only 5k miles on the clock, you will see a more logical reason for the large number of dead batteries.

People just don't drive many of them enough to keep the battery charged.
Those people are the ones who need a battery tender, not a guy who charges between hourly track events or one who drives every 4 or 5 days.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For those of you who don't know Joe, please tell him he is right and move on. If you don't, this will become a four pager at a minimum. :D :usa: