Anyone put a sunroof in a GTS?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or does the double bubble make it nearly impossible? anyone attempted this?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this would be a challenge. also there is a center reinforcement, that if cut, could make the roof less ridged.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL!!! what makes this post hilarious is that I think you are serious!

Just take your car to a mexican chop shop in east LA. I'm sure you could find somebody that would be happy to F your car up!

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey,

If you're going to go through that hassle (due to the contours of the roof), you might as well try T-tops. Before thinking I'm nuts, it may be more worth while to cut the roof and create a fiberglass (or plexiglass) form to use as panels. You would still have a hard roof, while having a greater open-air feel than a sunroof. If you go down one of these paths, keep us informed.

Good Luck!!
Paul

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
t-tops wont work, there is an aluminum strut on both sides that links the windshield frame to the rear tube structure.

A sunroof would only be advisable if it popped up a minimum of 4" at the rear. at 4" this would create a negative pressure vortex that would....naaaaahhh

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only GTS that I know of that had a sunroof is the actual 96 GTS Indy 500 Pace car. So if you really want it done...it can be.

Here is a picture I took back in 1996 at the Indy 500...

316818596paceviper-med.jpg

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont laugh all that hard, the original GTS used to pace the Indy 500 did have a roof hatch(removable) to allow for some photography. i was actually suprized that it did not make it into production or as an option, being that it already had been produced/developed.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for someone posting those pics, to confirm the details i spoke of. I was driven around the speedway in '96 by Lynn St. James in that car during time trials week( 125+ w/ AC on and radio going)

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so it is possible....didn't know the pace car had one either.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not recommend doing this under any circumstance. My previous car was a 3rd generation Mazda RX-7. It had a similar double bubble roof albeit not as pronounced. Mazda did have a factory sunroof option that followed the countours of the roof. Anything is possible but why would you want to do this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc