Anyone take their dash out?

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scuffed the dash a little while taking the shifter out (laid the console against it). Don't know if I can sand on the scratches and ever get the finish back? Otherwise need to put in a replacement dash cover to make it right. How much is entailed in getting the dash pad out? Air bags, steering wheel, wiring etc. Is there a how to thread anywhere?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have on my gen 1, not sure if your 96 is the same, but it is easy, just a few screws and a few clips, takes about 5 minutes on my 94. One tricky part is the headlight switch, it has to be pulled out on gen 1's, and there is a button on the top of the rheostat (sp?) that the light switch goes in to, that disconnects it. I couldn't find it and thought something else was the switch and like an idiot I poked around with a screw driver and sparked something and blew a fuse, that was scary until I found out it was a fuse. If the 96 is the same just make sure you find that button, you'll know it when you find it, it is on the top of the stat, good luck!

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is great! Thanks.
Now has anyone refinished or touched up scratches on the dash pad? Looks like a special finish coat on the dash surface?

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the console out to work on the shifter. Left some of the wires hooked up and let it lay on the dash. Noticed some scuffs on the dash next to the radio after I re-installed it. Dash removal looks easy, but I'll need some guidance on refinishng the dash to get the right texture.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have on my gen 1, not sure if your 96 is the same, but it is easy, just a few screws and a few clips, takes about 5 minutes on my 94. One tricky part is the headlight switch, it has to be pulled out on gen 1's, and there is a button on the top of the rheostat (sp?) that the light switch goes in to, that disconnects it. I couldn't find it and thought something else was the switch and like an idiot I poked around with a screw driver and sparked something and blew a fuse, that was scary until I found out it was a fuse. If the 96 is the same just make sure you find that button, you'll know it when you find it, it is on the top of the stat, good luck!

5 minutes - you should open a shop