Anyone try the short shift drop kits?

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like the kind West Coast Vipers sells? The ones that drop either 1" or 2". I assume the B&M assembly probably feels better. But for a low budget drop without having to completely disassemble and remove the shifter assembly, I thought this may not be a bad way to drop some of that length out of the throw.

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the new MGW shifter with the polymer handle and love it. Only $65.00 or $75.00 (Best money spent so for)

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made my own short-shaft, about 1&1/2 shorter,used stock handle. pretty close to what I want, A little shorter handle would prolly do it. Much nicer shifting!!! You have to get rid of that isolater, crappy shifting feel.... IMHO
Mitch

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought the detert mod and couldnt get the stock bolt off so i just ordered a mgw handle. ill sell the detert for 15 shipped. 3 inch i belive

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW knob, the perfect no hassle solution, shortens the throw dramatically and fits your hand better than the baseball sized shifter, also looks cool with the snake head embossed or the shift pattern. High quality piece that you can match with glove box door and hvac knobs, order everything in either a satin or polished look and order the snake on the glove box door in your cars color. Check out the gas filler cap while you're looking. George makes some of the highest quality parts available for our cars.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The length of the stock Isolator is 4.75 inches.
You must be registered for see images

I make the replacement shifter shafts in 3 inch, 4 inch and 4.75 inch lengths.
The 3 inch is 1.75 inches shorter than stock length which works great with a stock shifter knob.

The MGW Shift knobs are another way to shorten the shift throw, but you still have the flex of the factory Isolator (it has a rubber bushing in the middle of it). The MGW Shift Knobs are beautiful, they're made like a piece of jewelry.

I believe Dilusi Motorsports also makes a shifter replacement shaft, a really short one (about 1.5 or 2 inches total length).

I posted it beforeand IMO the choices for shifter upgrades are (from a price is no object standpoint).

#1. SVS shifter, cost, about $325 I believe.

http://www.supervipersystems.com/Performance_Programs/Driveline/driveline.html

#2. B&M Ripper shifter, cost about $250
Available from sources like Summit Racing

#3. replacing the shifter isolator with a solid steel shaft such as the ones I have available, cost from me $25 including shipping.

http://www.richdetert.com/RichsShifterParts.htm

Matt, contact me and return the replacement shifter shaft and I'll be happy to refund your money. [email protected]

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.Richdetert.com

click on "shifter parts"

Thats what I use with the stock knob and it works great for me.

Same here. Note, that we 98s don't have the baseball knob that was referred to in another post, we have a nicer (IMNSHO) stock knob, like what appears on Rich Detert's website.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '01 and am looking to shorten the shaft and I actually like the stock knob and would like to keep it. It looks like the older cars have a boot covering the entire shaft unlike the newer ones or maybe that is my imagination.

Does the relative shaft sizes still stay the same for the newer years and what about the visible portion of the shaft (or does that get hidden by the boot once the shaft is shortened?

--- Ken

Godsize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the kind West Coast Vipers sells? The ones that drop either 1" or 2". I assume the B&M assembly probably feels better. But for a low budget drop without having to completely disassemble and remove the shifter assembly, I thought this may not be a bad way to drop some of that length out of the throw.

Don't get offended but how can you tell me you are on a budget when you own a 1999 Viper. I just don't see how you don't have $250 for a shifter but you bought smooth tubes. I guess I am just tired of reading posts from people who are either too timid or too lazy or to cheap to get involved with modifying their cars properly. This business of cutting the factory lever or shorter shafts and lowering kits is just asinine. The only lowering kit I want on my car isn't going to be on my shifter. Swapping shifters is at the begginers level of mechanical apptitude. If you can change your oil then you can install a shifter. The shifter is probably the first and single best bolt on you should do followed by an exhaust. This is a Viper we are talking about and should not be half-a$$ed with knobs and lowering kits. There is a link below, it worked for me and it can work for you too. Spend the money, get involved and rock on! :headbang:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2942279541&category=1467

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember the difference between the old style B&M and the new style, but I (and others on this site) had the old style B&M's break on us. That *****. You are stranded.
Also, installing the B&M isn't a no brainer - you have to drill out rivets, one of the bolts is hard to get to, etc. It's not a huge deal, but not everyone wants to take a drill to their car. I have done it a few times, but it's not a job for everyone.

OP
OP
B

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't get offended but how can you tell me you are on a budget when you own a 1999 Viper. I just don't see how you don't have $250 for a shifter but you bought smooth tubes. I guess I am just tired of reading posts from people who are either too timid or too lazy or to cheap to get involved with modifying their cars properly. This business of cutting the factory lever or shorter shafts and lowering kits is just asinine. The only lowering kit I want on my car isn't going to be on my shifter. Swapping shifters is at the begginers level of mechanical apptitude. If you can change your oil then you can install a shifter. The shifter is probably the first and single best bolt on you should do followed by an exhaust. This is a Viper we are talking about and should not be half-a$$ed with knobs and lowering kits. There is a link below, it worked for me and it can work for you too. Spend the money, get involved and rock on! :headbang:

What I choose to put on my car has nothing to do with my aptitude as a modifier, nor with my budget.

I am just trying to be as efficient as possible with the decisions I make toward modding my car.

So I want to shorten the throw of my shifter, I have one of two ways of doing that: I spend $25, I buy a shorter shaft, I spend $250, I buy a whole assembly...

Now having some knowledge in engineering, I realize an assembly is going to do more for me than the shorting the shaft. For one, the assembly is engineered to shift properly with the shorter shaft, because we all know shortening the shaft is great, but when the lever is shorter the force necessary to enage it is greater. But $200 difference is enough for me to question the assembly, and ask myself why it's necessary when simply shortening the shaft is enough to get to the root of solving the problem. The money I save is enough to cover the smooth tubes and filters alone.

Yes, it is a Viper, but if you think the engineers that designed it didn't make these same sorts of decisions your wrong. In fact, everyone of us here makes compromises as to where to spend money, if any, on modding theirs.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, I don't want to go cowboy style on my new car and drill the crap out of the rivets holding my stock shifter in. So I think that helps to make up my mind on the matter.

OP
OP
B

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '01 and am looking to shorten the shaft and I actually like the stock knob and would like to keep it. It looks like the older cars have a boot covering the entire shaft unlike the newer ones or maybe that is my imagination.

Does the relative shaft sizes still stay the same for the newer years and what about the visible portion of the shaft (or does that get hidden by the boot once the shaft is shortened?

--- Ken

Good point, exactly the reason why I want to go with too heavy of a drop, that way I am insured I still get to see some of that nicer polished shaft on the '99 and newer vehicles...

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I know you said "dont get offended" and I am not :)
But just because someone owns a Viper doesnt mean they have gobs of money laying around.
I personally had to get every nickle I had together just to afford the down payment on my used Viper I purchased 4 years ago.
Please dont think that all Viper owners are rich, I sure as heck am not.
I know your post wasn't directed at me in peticular (sp), and like I said I am not taking offense, just trying to enlighten many folks visiting this board.
Best of luck to you.
ps. I have the Rich Detert short shifter and love it.
Cheers,

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know you said "dont get offended" and I am not :)
But just because someone owns a Viper doesnt mean they have gobs of money laying around.
I personally had to get every nickle I had together just to afford the down payment on my used Viper I purchased 4 years ago.
Please dont think that all Viper owners are rich, I sure as heck am not.
I know your post wasn't directed at me in peticular (sp), and like I said I am not taking offense, just trying to enlighten many folks visiting this board.
Best of luck to you.
ps. I have the Rich Detert short shifter and love it.
Cheers,
Could not have said it better! :2tu: Spending money wisly got me this dream ride and spending money wisly will make it even better! (I also have one of Rich's shifters and love it)

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran across the one that West Coast Vipers sells and bought one. It is a great alternative to a B&M shifter. It does not transfer any tranny noise or anything. I have the MGW First Strike shifter and the 1" drop WCV short throw, it is just right and I have not missed a shift yet. It actually helps in removing the "fear-to-go-into-5th/reverse" syndrome. I HIGHLY reccommend it.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.

I'm installing the 2'' shifter shaft shortener kit from parts rack and i'm having the damnedest time getting the stock isolator off. (pictured in post #10 on this thread)
Is there a trick to it that i don't know? is is mine just being really stubborn?

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it.

a little WD40, put it in 6th gear and a 18mm straight wrench did the trick.

took her out for a quick spin to the grocery store...the 2 inch drop is perfect...shifts feel good...$34 well spent.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To remove the stock isolator, a crowfoot wrench is helpful.

I got one of Rich's pieces for my 00 GTS when it was new...it's still there and a great piece. Did exactly what I wanted to do. When I got my '96 RT a couple years ago, I tried to get another...but (no offense intended here) I couldn't get a response from Rich..so I made my own.

Was it cheaper than a new shifter? Sure. Could I have afforded a new shifter? Yes. Did I want an aftermarket shifter? No. I have installed a couple aftermarket shifters in other cars, and have found the feel not to my liking. And...I've done more than my share of car work. I wanted a shorter, more positive feel and that was accomplished with the removal of the isolator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960