Anyone using a Motec M800 computer?

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This mod supposedly has the ability to offer traction control, anyone actually have it and does it actually work? How much do these toys sell for?

Just thinking if I am gonna go to TT, I might want to upgrade the Vec 2 to a Motec, and get Traction Control as a bonus.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Motec going into my car next week. Can't asnwer the question of the traction control working, but it should. The input is from the wheel speed sensors, really should be no reason that it won't work. It is pricey, +/-$9.5K with PNP harness

OP
OP
Z

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought it would be a bit more expensive but 10k is gonna hurt. I am thinking of getting the side mounted turbo's from SVS. (probably in about 2 years as I still have to finish paying off the Viper lol, but I always research everything about a year ahead so I know where I am going).
I have a Vec2 right now, but the Traction Control was something that caught my eye. For an experienced track guy it might not matter as much as they have a great feel for it. But for the heavy footed guy it could definately improve the launch. I think performance wise it is the Viper's greatest flaw. So much power on the rear wheels and limited traction.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The computer itself isn't expensive. 4-5k. But the wiring harness is the expensive part. If you make it yourself, it is just time. if you pay a vendor to do it for you, you pay a lot.

No question that it is a good system, though.

Enjoy!

JD

G

grcforce327

Purchasing the keys to unlock different features already built in, is what is costly.After seeing the motecs capabilities,I sold the vec and opted for the motec.It will run traction control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought it would be a bit more expensive but 10k is gonna hurt. I am thinking of getting the side mounted turbo's from SVS. (probably in about 2 years as I still have to finish paying off the Viper lol, but I always research everything about a year ahead so I know where I am going).
I have a Vec2 right now, but the Traction Control was something that caught my eye. For an experienced track guy it might not matter as much as they have a great feel for it. But for the heavy footed guy it could definately improve the launch. I think performance wise it is the Viper's greatest flaw. So much power on the rear wheels and limited traction.

You might want to consider going the mechanical way, upgrading your differential with a Quaife. It will improve reliability and traction for a fraction of the price...
My 0.2 euros.....

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The computer itself isn't expensive. 4-5k. But the wiring harness is the expensive part. If you make it yourself, it is just time. if you pay a vendor to do it for you, you pay a lot.

No question that it is a good system, though.

Enjoy!

JD

Joseph,
The PNP harness is about $1,500, just the basic Motec ECU is about $4,500. There are numerous other featuers/componenents that are required for installation. I can send you a detail of the invoice if you are interested in checking out what else is needed. One can't put a Motec system in Viper for $4-5K, even if you do the install yourself.

F

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not get an AEM unit?

It will give you most of the capability of the motec for 1/3 the cost, including the traction control you desire.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph,
The PNP harness is about $1,500, just the basic Motec ECU is about $4,500. There are numerous other featuers/componenents that are required for installation. I can send you a detail of the invoice if you are interested in checking out what else is needed. One can't put a Motec system in Viper for $4-5K, even if you do the install yourself.

F

I don't need to see the invoice, but I have pondered the motec before. Would you mind itemizing the 'unlocks' that are needed to make it work?

thanks in advance!

JD

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't need to see the invoice, but I have pondered the motec before. Would you mind itemizing the 'unlocks' that are needed to make it work?

thanks in advance!

JD

joseph,
I will be happy to, but I have to get John Reed to transalate the shorthand, I am not sure what each item represents. Couple of days, as he is installing the unit yesterday/today.

F

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
joseph,
I will be happy to, but I have to get John Reed to transalate the shorthand, I am not sure what each item represents. Couple of days, as he is installing the unit yesterday/today.

F

Excellent. Thanks! Maybe remind John that he never called me back about coming out to tune my car. I had to do it myself *grin*. Only made 1496.2 rwhp... I wonder if I pay him $5 per horsepower if he can get more out of it? $10?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire