Anyone...Whats the Inside Scoop on Viperdays?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of participating for the first time this year... as a beginner, "driving school". Looking at Gingerman or North Carolina. As a beginner in the driving school class; Do I have to have a roll bar installed on my RT10.
How fast do these dates fill up?
Looking for feedback on your experience, thanks.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No roll bar required, but you will probably wish to upgrade your brake fluid. That is a weak spot on stock Vipers.
Next item would be seat harness.
Enroll as soon as you can commit. It makes things much easier for ViperDays if they have the cash in hand to pay their bills.
Your first experience will be fantastic. By the end of the weekend you will have learned so much, and had so much fun, you will kick yourself for not going earlier.
Beginners are especially welcome. The experienced drivers will be happy to bring you up to speed. Your Viper is most impressive on the track.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go and have a great time. Change all fluids, fresh pads, good tires and tighten that power steering cap down, I use a pipe wrench.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff you need either a roll bar or a hard top for a R/T 10.You will also need a SA95 or SA2000 helment no more than 5 years old a driving suit or long sleeve shirt and long pants.Change you fluids as said before.If you can't get it one before you come to the track Archer Racing is there to support you at the track.If you have any questions call me and I can fill you in on any other details.

Tom Sessions
Tech inspector
Viper Days
910-228-8477

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tom said. Fluid change and track pads are a must. Try Brakeman 3 pads. I will be at both events and would be happy to help in anyway I can.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I bought an 03 last year. I took it to Mid-America imediately(the next day) after having the roll bar and harnesses installed. It was the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I am planning on doing five events this year. The most important thing that Skip Thomas stresses is safety. Your instructior will not let you doing anything that is going to get you, your car, or most importantly him or her hurt. I will be at Gingerman for sure and maybe VIR. Come out and have some fun. It is well worth the drive up north.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old are your tires? If they are very old plan on a new set-Archer will have them at the track but it's a good idea to call and reserve them if you know you'll be buying them.

I have only been once but it IS the best mod. for your car

Bill

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires are a year old, plenty of rubber left. New lot from Tire Rack 17" Pilots.

Thanks Guys for the welcome. I have friends in both areas for sure. Right now I am leaning towards VIR in July (I need a trailer to pull the Viper first).

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No real need for a trailer. Most just drive their car to the track, run it for the weekend, and drive home. Lots of track service usually available in case of mechanical issues.
That said, a trailer is kind of nice, as you can bring some support goodies like chairs, coolers, a pit bike etc.

Reaction score
The track side service is fantastic. Archer's can fix just about any problem (except body work) at the event.
There have everything you will need to service your car.

I suggest a Skip Barber school before Viper Days, to maximize your driving experience(pleasure, comfort and safety). Reminder VCA members get a 25% discount for the Skip Barber 2 day school and 10% for all others.

In my case it takes time to learn new skills and performance driving is a skill. There is a lot of new vocabulary some words obvious some not. Best to know the meanings and how to use them. Few Examples: brake induced oversteer and understeer, throttle over and under steer, apex, turn-in, track-out, threshold braking, trail brake, tire patch. Pause Control Recovery experience is a very good technique to have experienced and master before going on a track.

Viper Days is the best open track activity available based on my limited expereince. Great people running the event and great people providing great track side service and support. After your first the rest will have a family reunion feeling.

Best price for helmets and driving clothing(gloves, shoes, driving suits) Helmet City. Check our regions web site for more info.

Have Fun!

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,
Here's my two cents. Don't feel that you must go to Barber before Viper Days. Viper Days will not let you on track alone until you've had all the instruction you need to make you safe and then they let you proceed at your own pace. Some guys tend to be fast right off the bat (not many) and other guys take their time working up to the speeds that your Viper is really capable of. Also, Tom Sessions is the technical inspector so I don't want to contradict him (because he is generally right), but I think it slipped his mind that you were talking about the Challenge Series, where you don't need a driving suit as a beginner(everything else he said is right on). Of course, a driving suit is recommended. Please come say hi to me, whichever event you go to. I'm in red Comp Coupe #98. You're going to have a blast. Everybody is very friendly and ready to help.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ- I will make it a point to say hello. I saw you guys running last VOI in Nashville, right now the last thing I want is to be in the middle of that pack :D . The suit, I am just afraid that if my wife sees the suit she will be against me going. If I can't get the trailer for Gingerman I could drive the car out instead.
See you soon, thanks.

Reaction score
When buying safety equipment but the best it is your neck or best friend next to you at risk. Get the best light weight helmet = less neck strain/force. Full face to protect your chin from pushing back and debris from hitting your face.

The first few times on a track can seem intimidating with a lot of new things to remember. If you do not take a Skip Barber class before going to Viper Days lean the vocabulary. (That was a comment from one of our member who attended VD @ Thunderhill.) He said it is a lot to grasp when you are new to the track. Apex, turn-in, track-out, brake, trail brake, threshold braking, throttle induced oversteer and/or understeer, brake induced oversteer and/or understeer, tire patch, weight transfer, CPR, look ahead, etc.

Remember look ahead(when turning-in your eyes should be looking ahead three to six seconds at the track-out area) do most of the braking and acceleration in a straight line. Slow in fast out of turns.

Look where you want to go not where you are going.

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the heck does he need a driving suit? Every other HPDE I've run w/ NASA or Mazda Driver's only requires long pants and a long sleve shirt all cotton. Is it b/c he's running an open car?

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra4B,

You are correct in that a driving suit is not required for Viper Days. I think that everyone was recommending one for the safety reasons, just in case there is a fire.

Doc

Reaction score
Doc - CORRECT!

Fire! How could that happen at a track event?
Power Steering fluid on exhaust manifold or rotors.
PS Lid comes off, other PS fluid leak
Grease from suspension gets on rotors
How about a brake fluid leak.

Need more ways from other fluids? Gas or Oil?

The heat generated from a Viper due to high energy conversions is higher than most cars.

It is your life and perhaps your best friend's, next to you. Always drive with safety in mind and use the best equipment and material available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21