Anyone with chrome HRE's?

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone with chrome HRE\'s?

If someone has chrome HRE's please help. I was going to chrome mine, but was advised not to because of the following.
1) 3 piece wheels
2) the width of the wheels
3) the wheels flex
Any help?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone with chrome HRE\'s?

HRE has them chromed while new all the time. Mine came that way. Sounds like a lot of unfounded concerns to me.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If someone has chrome HRE's please help. I was going to chrome mine, but was advised not to because of the following.
1) 3 piece wheels
2) the width of the wheels
3) the wheels flex
Any help?

I've got chromed HRE's as well. Absolutely the best quality. Whoever told you that is wrong. Call JonB and he will help you get them done. You won't be disappointed with the chrome.

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score

HRE will sell their wheels chromed, but on many conversations with them and their sales representatives they have advised against chroming.

I think it is because chrome is very delicate. You get one chip, and water and dirt can work its way under the finish peeling up the layer of chrome to expose the copper finish below. Not to mention brake dust can actually scratch the finish over time, that is if you use only a dry towel to dust off the surface. I know it easy to clean real fast but don't do it

But that is just the practical argument...

My pick (as reflected in my last two sets of HRE's) has always been to express the true metal finish, either satin or polished. Chrome looks great on an Escalade with chrome trim and handles, but on a Viper, and many other high performance cars that are naturally devoid of chrome, it looks kind of cheesy. I don't know maybe I'm too young because I missed that whole era of chroming everything. I started owning cars when chrome was, and still is, out of style to everyone but the gold tooth rappers.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HRE will sell their wheels chromed, but on many conversations with them and their sales representatives they have advised against chroming.

I think it is because chrome is very delicate. You get one chip, and water and dirt can work its way under the finish peeling up the layer of chrome to expose the copper finish below. Not to mention brake dust can actually scratch the finish over time, that is if you use only a dry towel to dust off the surface. I know it easy to clean real fast but don't do it

But that is just the practical argument...

My pick (as reflected in my last two sets of HRE's) has always been to express the true metal finish, either satin or polished. Chrome looks great on an Escalade with chrome trim and handles, but on a Viper, and many other high performance cars that are naturally devoid of chrome, it looks kind of cheesy. I don't know maybe I'm too young because I missed that whole era of chroming everything. I started owning cars when chrome was, and still is, out of style to everyone but the gold tooth rappers.

:rolleyes:
Must be a lot of us gold tooth rappers that own vipers.

I've had 3 sets of HRE's. The first set was just high polished to show the "True Metal finish" Guess what they sucked. Harder to clean, showed scratches every time you towel dry them, and didn't shine worth a crap. I got so sick of it I sold them. The last two sets have been full chrome and I have had none of those problems. The chrome has been excellent quality as well. I'll take my chrome "out of style look" any day vs. your dull boring look :D

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought a set of Forgeline (WC3) and they are polished aluminum. They look AWESOME! I too was advised against buying a chrome wheel. Polished looks just as good if not better.

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Chrome plating will eventually dull with oxidation and constant brake dust build up. (unless pampered daily)
Buy polished. No clearcoat.
A little elbow grease and they look as good as chrome, and last forever.

288VR1_s-med.JPG

C5

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well I am young also and they day I get Viper, the first mod will be chromed HREs... :headbang:

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

bwhitmore, if you don't like chrome that's great--to each his own. You can powdercoat your wheels pink if that's what suits your fancy. But if you think chrome wheels are "out of style to everyone but the gold tooth rappers," then you're just, um, wrong. Gold tooth rappers may like chrome wheels, but that's only a small piece of the "look" they're after. Rather like saying aftermarket exhausts are out of style to everyone but ricers. Do they like them? Yep. Are they the only people who buy them? Not by a long shot.

IEATVETS, some polished wheels do look great, but exactly how would a quality polished wheel look "better" than a quality chrome wheel? At least assuming that "better" is supposed to mean "shinier." That is the purpose of polishing or chroming, right? That's like saying an SI1 diamond looks "just as good or better" than a VVS1 diamond. I know my wife wouldn't believe it. :D

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW, chrome wheels do require more upkeep than other finishes, and if your Viper is a daily driver that you wash whenever you get around to it, I wouldn't get them. 2MANYTOYS and I wouldn't think of driving the snake without cleaning the wheels. :)

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW, chrome wheels do require more upkeep than other finishes, and if your Viper is a daily driver that you wash whenever you get around to it, I wouldn't get them. 2MANYTOYS and I wouldn't think of driving the snake without cleaning the wheels. :)

:2tu: :headbang: :headbang:

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score

:rolleyes: Must be a lot of us gold tooth rappers that own vipers.

Luckily no, otherwise we would see more Vipers with 22" chrome spinners. (I'm saying this hoping it won't be your next mod...)

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chrome = weight and fragility/maintenance
Polished and clear coated = the way to go

Just my .02

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chrome = weight and fragility/maintenance
Polished and clear coated = the way to go

Just my .02

I'm sorry - if your worried about the weight of the chrome on your wheels - you are SLOW!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am chroming the ones I bought from Nasty this spring. I am sick of polishing them. Even when polished they still show small scratches. Cal-Chrome does them for $250 a rim

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sorry - if your worried about the weight of the chrome on your wheels - you are SLOW!

Weight is weight which is always an advantage in NOT being slow, and then there is rotational weight (wheels, tires, flywheels, etc.) which counts for more than you think. Good looks are not the only reason people change rims, just pointing that out.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Weight is weight which is always an advantage in NOT being slow, and then there is rotational weight (wheels, tires, flywheels, etc.) which counts for more than you think. Good looks are not the only reason people change rims, just pointing that out.

My guess is that the material I took off by fully polishing the inner barrels more than made up for the extra weight of the chrome. :smirk:

42HRE_-_Rear_Polish-4-med.JPG

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey - I never noticed the reflection of my gold teeth in my Chrome HRE's....Very cool.

42HRE_-_Chrome-Car-6-med.JPG

Anthony 98GTS me neither, your wheels and car look fantastic. Did you polish the inside of your wheels by hand or have it done by someone else?

bwhitmore - don't be mad you can have chromies too! :smirk:

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2MANY,

I had the inner barrels polished at the same time I had my wheels chromed. They were originally fully polished and look 10x better now.

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Okay, here is what I don't understand...

What, if anything, is so far and away "better" than what you have pictured above with the chrome plated wheels versus what I have pictured below with the fully polished wheels..?

You must be registered for see images

And that's in the shade, in the direct sun, the difference is even less noticable. (Just in case your wondering those bright spots are reflections in the asphalt from my other set of fully polished HRE's...)

About the only thing I can gather is that many of you have spent too much time chroming a perfectly good set of forged aluminum rims that could just as easily have been beautifully polished. I realize, of course, you have saved some money by purchasing the cheap plastic chrome center caps to match, and maybe that is the justification of it all.

But that is exactly my point, chrome is to plastic as polish is to forged aluminum and stainless steel. It's a cheap, easy to maintain finish that looks expensive. It's used on parts that can't otherwise be polished which is ultimately the big mystery when it comes to peopling chroming their HRE wheels. You confuse me for being mad when I am really just very confused.

You're right about one thing though, I could have kept my mouth shut, but as a true automotive enthusiast I can respect a polished aluminum wheel both for its unique qualities and the effort it takes to make them look flawless, so I am going to stand up for it. On the other hand, I have no respect for poser mods like chrome HRE's. And by "poser" I mean mods that are done for no other reason than there are people in this world with money to burn. Because in most cases these mods do not compliment anything else on the car, nor do they really enhance the look or performance. The motivation is purely to have some shiny on the car, which brings me back to my original analogy... There are people that have gold teeth because they think it is cool having something shiny in their mouth, when really it's nothing more than "a cheap, easy to maintain finish that looks expensive," and to many of us it just looks silly.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2MANY,

I had the inner barrels polished at the same time I had my wheels chromed. They were originally fully polished and look 10x better now.

I had no interest in Getting Chrome HRE"s until I saw Anthony's wheels at the SA V10 Nationals..The pictures do no justice .

The wheels look absolutley amazing !! :2tu:

IMHO Polished HRE"s don't hold a candle to the Chrome ones.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Talk about poser mods! HRE's are poser mods, they are not made for racing, so why not chrome them. Anyone that comes on here and complains about people chroming thier HRE's is a bigot

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You confuse me for being mad when I am really just very confused.

I for one never thought you were mad, but I'll agree with you 100% that you are seriously confused. That last post is so full of contradictions (both internally and with your earlier post) and inane ramblings it doesn't merit being taken apart.

Shinier Good. Shiniest Bad. Me smart for staying with Shinier. Does that about sum it up?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2MANY,

I had no interest in Getting Chrome HRE"s until I saw Anthony's wheels at the SA V10 Nationals..The pictures do no justice .

The wheels look absolutley amazing !! :2tu:

IMHO Polished HRE"s don't hold a candle to the Chrome ones.

Thanks Jeff-

It's hard to tell from pics - but there is a night and day difference in fully polished and full chrome. I know - I've had both.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Talk about poser mods! HRE's are poser mods, they are not made for racing, so why not chrome them. Anyone that comes on here and complains about people chroming thier HRE's is a bigot

Exactly, He bashes everyone that has chrome wheels, calls us all gold tooth, and then says how he likes satin or polished, then compares with pictures about how shiney his polished HRE's are vs. chromed. Makes no sense, you like shiney polished wheels but don't like shiney chrome wheels? Also claims that the chroming is a cheaper way out, that I saved money going with chrome? Last time I checked the chrome HRE's cost more. The way I see it HRE's are a poser mod whether they are chromed or not. You bash us for poser mods yet your own car has poser mods on it?????? Your R/T has polished or chromed Viper emblems on the fender area. Since when did that give you a performance gain???? Bottom line is the initial post ask people with chrome wheels about concerns he had. You don't have chrome wheels therefore the question shouldn't pertain to you. I have had BOTH and know the difference. I don't dislike your wheels actually I think they look good. However, I prefer chrome. It's a matter of choice you like polished I like chrome. We can agree to disagree but the insults you started off with about other peoples choices is wrong.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

tastes great.............

..............less filling

guess thats why they make them different .