Anyone with VEC 2 Gremlins?

JohninFL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone have gremlins in their VEC 2 install?
Periodic cutouts at mid to high rpm, tach needle spasms, etc.

I have tried installing from scratch 3x to make sure nothing was missed but everytime I take it out the car runs great and everytime it goes in same problems.

Yes: already had unit replaced. Roe guarantees unit is fine.

Side note: when its running right with the VEC 2 in noticable SOP hp increase.

Just curious if anyone else experienced this type of dilema:: :confused:

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely.. same issues.. sent mine back too.. roe returned it as "fine".. still have periodic issues.. especially after long periods of diriving in the rain..

OP
OP
J

JohninFL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevrenuf How often do the coughs and wheezes show up in normal driving for you???

I get about 5 -10 miles in before I can't take it anymore.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try zero-ing out everything and then running the car (as if the VECII isn't there). does the problem still exist? if not, then it is in the tune (probably too much timing advance)... just my .02...

JD

OP
OP
J

JohninFL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Joe:

the only "tune" involved are the two card(s) which are programmed by Sean. One for stock tune and one for Performance Tune. (since the car is stock he uses these for baseline tunes) have not tried altering tuning from these "Roe Factory Settings". I figure for a stock car he has more experience in optimum A/F than I do.

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had this problem with a 04 SRT. Is the Vec 2 brand new? I know somewhere along the line, Dodge made a change to the ecu and this caused the Vec2 to act just like you are saying. I believe Sean fixed ours by making a mod to the Vec2, I think it was taking out a resistor or diode on one of the circuit boards.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had very similar sounding issues with my GenII and the VEC2. If I loaded the program that basically set the VEC2 to act like it was not in the circuit (no timing adjustments or injector adjustments), but still physically connected in circuit, the car would run good. As soon as I adjusted A/F or timing at all the car would run erratic when the air temperature got above about 80, but seemed to run good when the air temperature was cool. The car would stumble very hard under hard acceleration, using around 3500-4500 RPM. This was before I added the SC.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just a quick note, as I noticed one person, nevrenuf, mention "after driving in the rain." These units are NOT waterproof! be careful around the rain, washing, etc...you will have problems eventually. I am currently having a glitch with a VEC2 on an SC GTS, but I am fighting a losing battle between PCM and VEC2 glitches, and having a hard time pinning down the actual culprit... hopefully I will get it sorted out now that I have the car driveable again. KenH- The first bout of problems was the 01 PCM, which caused exactly what you described, HARD stumble around 3500-4500... but this car had an SC while it was doing it.

I also just constucted a ground-up redesign of the VEC2 wiring harness and head unit for my own car, in order to make it waterproof, as well as having switch-selectable logging inputs that are connected to every tuning-related sensor on the engine, for R&D/tuning purposes (I will post pictures when I finish installing it) I may offer these modified systems for sale in the near future, but they are a lot of work to make.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"These units are NOT waterproof!"

Good point. First thing I did after the VECII install was to water proof it.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The VEC2 is about two and a half years old now. Initially, the system was developed solely for use with the Supercharger system, so we could properly set the air / fuel ratio and control timing retard. We’ve been through many changes, primarily in software as the system evolved into something useful for naturally aspirated applications.
Some small issues have popped up along the way, which we learned from and corrected.
The check engine light on the Gen3 cars that Bill M. mentioned was resolved by removing a resistor from the circuit board, which had been allowing a small amount of voltage to backfeed into the injectors. When the key was on and the engine was not running, the PCM would recognize the voltage through the ASD relay circuit and set a light for a fan code and oxygen sensor heater. That was interesting to find.
The problem with the V-notch Ken had mention on his NA Gen2 was an initial algorithm error we had when we first introduced the ability to add timing advance. This caused a sharp“V” notch on a dyno graph about 7 out of 11 pulls. That was fixed with a firmware change. The most current firmware is 5.79
The systems are not water proof, but are fairly tolerant of it. Soapy water or salt water can be detrimental. I’ve driven mine in hard Florida rain too many times to remember and haven't had any trouble. We did extended the harness length on the Gen3 cars about a month ago, as we didn’t like the location we had them and have now moved them to under the windshield cowl. If you have one of the shorter harnesses, contact us for an extension (no charge for the part, just shipping if applicable).
In regard to the tach needle jumping, that’s been known to happen on Vipers without VEC2’s. You can do a search on this site and probably find posts relating to this. Most often it’s the battery or one of the main battery connections.
The miss / cough cause can be one of three items. In the Supercharger kits, we include new injector connectors. The VEC2 is far less tolerant of poor injector connections than the stock PCM. We may need to consider putting new connectors in with the stand alone VEC2 kits also. Another possible cause on the naturally aspirated cars is too aggressive of a performance tune. This can easily be diagnosed by inserting a stock program card into the VEC2. If the symptoms go away, the performance program needs to be adjusted slightly, with less timing advance and / or fuel trim adjustment. If the symptom persists, or is aggravated by hot weather, the PCM output for injector duty cycle may be hitting 100%. The VEC2 relies on the pulses from the stock PCM in order to know when to fire each injector and for how long. If the input pulse goes away, as in 100% “on” for the injectors, the VEC2 will not trigger that injector properly. We’ve recently found that reducing the intake air temperature sensor voltage with a simple 5K ohm resistor can help keep the PCM from going to 100% duty cycle.
Of course, all this aside, there can be other problems with the car. Cars with problems are not limited to ones with VEC2’s. We have seen installation errors where wires were not crimped or installed properly also.
We have over 600 VEC2’s in service now. Thankfully, problems are few.
If anyone needs assistance, contact me directly also (in addition to posting) as I don’t get the time to read / post here much. We’re here to help the best that we can.

Regards,
Sean

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a vec2 and was wondering if it was a worthwhile mod to a stock 04 srt-10. What do you think the performance gain is, if any. Thanks Eagle

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about the Mopar Race chip?

Herc :usa:

It was discussed on another thread but if you’re talking about the race controller that Mopar sells in the catalog, it’s only purpose is to allow you to run your car without CATs. No performance gains from it.

According to Roe, his VEC2 can provide goods gains even from a stock motor and you can use one his “canned”, entry level programs. As others have mentioned, the VEC2’s program can evolve as more stuff is added. VEC2 will probably be in the cards for me when I install ported heads.

Hey Sean – good to see that you’re on top of things and you certainly seem to provide good customer support. Dustin Whipple is the same way over on my boating forum. He’ll address issues and answer questions. You don’t really see that from guys like Mr. Paxton, Mr. Vortech, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine