Archer Stands Tall on the Podium , AGAIN!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tommy Archer wins the St.Petersburg Round of the World Challenge Series , to grab his second trophy placing of the year. With two Firsts in a row, Mr. Archer will have some serious weight added to his car, but the 2004 Champion is already ahead of last years total wins, so euphoria is definitely part of his current vocabulary. Other drivers in Snakes didn't have as good a run, as Lenny Diller and Mike McCann had issues and finished in 19th and 21st respectively. Tough situtuaion , as McCann was last years Rookie of the Year and he had stellar finishes in 2004. Another Rookie vaulted into the top 10, as Rob Foster grabbed the position on his first drive of 2005 - great drive for the former Omaha, Nebraska.The rest of the results for Viper pilots is as follows:

1st Tommy Archer
6th Phil McClure
7th Tim Wiens
10th Rob Foster
11th Jim McCann
14th Bob Woodhouse
16th Adel Elsayed
17th Warren Diller
19th Lenny Diller
21st Mike McCann

Looks like a great racing season start for the Comp Coupe Contingent!!! :headbang:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutely AWESOME that this 'privateer' is kicking asp vs factory supported teams. SRT provides some unofficial support to ARCHER, but Id sure prefer they put 2-3% of NASCAR funds info VIPER racing in all venues.

CONGRATS TOMMY and 3-R

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think Archer "sandbags" a little in practice and qualifying or is he just a better racer than Henzler and others who qualify ahead of him?

In either case, his car is going to weigh 2 tons before the season is over at the rate he's going.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Photo Release - credit Jimmy Sykes
Immediate Release
April 3, 2005

3R Racing's Tommy Archer Wins St. Petersburg

St. Petersburg, Florida - Carrying over an excellent run at Sebring just two weeks ago, Tommy Archer won the second round of SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge GT series race run at St. Petersburg this morning. Teammates Phil McClure and Tim Wiens also had a competitive day coming home in sixth and seventh.

Starting from the third position, his qualifying position was corrected later Saturday; Archer sped into the lead on the first lap. Archer was only out of the lead twice for the 50-minute timed race, with the Lidell Porsche only leading for less than one lap. The close confines of the St. Petersburg street course caused five caution periods helping the Duluth, Minnesota based driver cool his tires, win the race and keep the overall series points lead.

"I had a good start and was able to get up to second by turn one," said Archer, driver of the number 1/c3controls/3R Viper. "I wanted to be aggressive from the start; if I could gain a couple of places I knew we would have a good day. On the first lap into turn ten I was able to get under Henzler in the braking zone and then the front washed out a little pushing him toward the wall; I made it stick. The five yellows helped a lot. My tires were heating up and I was getting all kinds of pressure from the Porsche. The team did a great job to stay on top of the cars setup all weekend."

Phil McClure, piloting the number 2/FirstTier Bank/3R Viper, finished in sixth from his seventh place qualifying effort. "Not a bad day. I was giving up a lot going into the braking zone in turn one. I am not quite comfortable with the Viper's brakes just yet. There was a lot of rubbing going on and I bumped the wall once. We will take it and look forward to Road Atlanta in two weeks."

Driving the number 3/FirsTier Bank/ 3R Viper is team owner Tim Wiens. Wiens had a disappointing qualifying effort, but made up for it in the race. "I had a really good start and was able to move up six places on the first lap. On lap nineteen I was setup to pass the McCann Viper into turn twelve and ended up going across the grass in thirteen, but made the pass. I touched the wall and grass had filled the radiator vent, so the motor temperature was increasing and I had a front vibration. The yellows helped or I would have had to back off and give up positions. The team had a great day. Tommy winning and Phil and I in the top ten keep us in line for the championship and Dodge there for the manufacturers' title."

The St. Petersburg race will be televised on Speed Channel, Sunday, April 10th at 2:00 p.m. EST. Round three of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series will be run at Road Atlanta on April 17th.

St. Petersburg Speed GT Top 10 Finishers:
1. Tommy Archer 3R Viper
2. Robin Liddell Porsche
3. Lou Gigliotti Corvette
4. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac
5. Wolf Henzler Porsche
6. Phil McClure 3R Viper
7. Tim Wiens 3R Viper
8. Tom Oates Corvette
9. Jon Groom Porsche
10. Rob Foster Viper

Speed GT Top 10 Driver's Points After Two Rounds:
1. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 65
2. Robin Liddell Porsche 53
3. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 51
4. Wolf Henzler Porsche 46
5. Phil McClure 3R Viper 40
6. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 36
7. Max Papis Cadillac 35
8. Tom Oates Corvette 34
9. Mike McCann Viper 29
10. Sonny Whelen Corvette 26

3R Racing would like to thank sponsors c3controls, Sirius Satellite Radio, FirsTier Bank and partners Red Line Oil, Performance Friction brake pads, Ron Davis radiators and Dodge Motorsport.

5archer_4_2_05_1-med.jpg

5podium_4_02_05-med.jpg

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great runs by the Vipers! Woodhouse had some horrible luck once again getting tapped into the wall but somehow managed to bring home 14th. That's some incredible driving. Great job Bob!!!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The race will be televised on SPEED on 4/10. When we find out what time, we'll let you know (it is usually early afternnon).

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe the powers that be would be satisfied to just let one of us ride with him next time? ;)

Wanna draw straws?