are all turbo cars quiet?

3520henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On TT Vipers, are they quieter than the supercharged or NA cars as far as exhaust volume goes? Does the turbo quiet down the exhaust? Thanks

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know out of experience on Vipers, but all other cars I've seen which were Turbocharged, were more quiet and I've heard Vipers also quiet down.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does act like a muffler, sort of. Turbo cars in general are quieter than blown cars with the same exhaust.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the exhaust wheel muffles the engine noise.

The smaller the exhaust wheel the quieter the sound.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car doesn't have cats or any mufflers at all and it sounds quieter than when it was blown.

If I was blown I would be much louder too........:D

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, turbo cars are quiet
I have identical size custom SS exhaust systems (one muffler, no cats) on 2- '06 Vipers. One is NA, one is TT....
The TT is much quieter.
No decel popping on the TT either....:(

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car doesn't have cats or any mufflers at all and it sounds quieter than when it was blown.

If I was blown I would be much louder too........:D

Did u remove ur tt system and if so why if I may ask as I remember when u had it done and it made 1300rwhp unintentionally :)

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is quiter now with TT's than it was with a Roe. But it sounds GOOD. Everyone says it sounds deep for a viper.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did u remove ur tt system and if so why if I may ask as I remember when u had it done and it made 1300rwhp unintentionally :)

I still have the turbos. It's quieter now with turbos and no cats or mufflers than before when it was blown with cats and resonator.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Roe supercharger adds quite a lot of fuel, torque and hp so the exhaust is much louder.

The Paxton doesn't do much until 3,000rpm and adds power until 6000rpm which is it's loudest.

The Turbos slow and smooth the exhaust flows. Turbos remove most of the thermodynamic energy which is the noise, and that is what drives the intake compressor adding the power.

Ted

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roe supercharger adds quite a lot of fuel, torque and hp so the exhaust is much louder.

The Paxton doesn't do much until 3,000rpm and adds power until 6000rpm which is it's loudest.

The Turbos slow and smooth the exhaust flows. Turbos remove most of the thermodynamic energy which is the noise, and that is what drives the intake compressor adding the power.

Ted

The turbo vipers do seem to be quieter, but, I have a 2L Pontiac Solstice Turbo GXP. It was quiet stock, but after a new exhaust and high flow cat - it ain't quiet. With a larger SC wheel and a HP Tuners (similar to SCT) it is well over 300 rwhp.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mine is very quiet, almost too quiet. Even @ idle. Yoy can hear the Turbo's when RPM's rise. I wouldn't mind if it was louder.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is loud. I can set off car alarms driving by without too much issue if I get close. You can hear my car from a long way away, according to people that have been at my house when I head home. In the garage when cranked, it vibrates most of the house. Under WOT, the car is fairly quiet.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On turbo cars at WOT, the sound volume also depends a lot of your wastegate. If it dumps to the atmosphere, LOUD, if it is plumbed back into the exhaust stream, quieter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi