Are high flow cats all the same?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it matter which high flow cat you go with?
Just so long as it says high flow does that mean they are all the same?

I have heard good things about the metal substrate Random Tech from Partsrack.

Is there a good, better, best? If so what high flow is better than the next high flow?

I know we have talked header/catback manufactures into the ground.
but I did a search about cats and could not find much except to go high flow over stock is recommended.

Any input appricated.

JIM

Rashad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Random Technologies are the only "true" high flow cats to the best of my knowledge. Every other one is just a little better than most stock cats.

Reaction score
Random Technologies are the only "true" high flow cats to the best of my knowledge.

Rashad, please clarify what you mean by this.
The material inside any catalytic converter will be a restriction in the exhaust stream. Our high-flow cats have a very large and long body, which lets the cats clean the exhaust while still allowing huge amounts of exhaust flow through them. Each cat is certified for a 360cu.in. engine, so they flow plenty on a Viper (unless you have a 721cu.in. Viper!).
Our 3" cats are only $299/pr.! These are the same ones we use on our Lethal 750 '01 ACR.
On a near-stock Viper, we see gains of upwards of 8-10rwhp on our Dynojet, along with incredibly lower side sill temperatures. Heck, that's worth it alone! :D

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill what is you answer on the 3.55 vs, 3.07 on your dyno jet. I believe there is no difference. Most cars have different gears. Then, no two RWHP ( say vette vs. mustang) could be compared. Please answer in that topic.
Thanks

Rashad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Random Technologies are the only "true" high flow cats to the best of my knowledge.

Rashad, please clarify what you mean by this.
The material inside any catalytic converter will be a restriction in the exhaust stream. Our high-flow cats have a very large and long body, which lets the cats clean the exhaust while still allowing huge amounts of exhaust flow through them. Each cat is certified for a 360cu.in. engine, so they flow plenty on a Viper (unless you have a 721cu.in. Viper!).
Our 3" cats are only $299/pr.! These are the same ones we use on our Lethal 750 '01 ACR.
On a near-stock Viper, we see gains of upwards of 8-10rwhp on our Dynojet, along with incredibly lower side sill temperatures. Heck, that's worth it alone! :D

Well, my knowledge of parts for the viper is pretty limited (as of now) so i was just going by what i know about the general cat aftermarket. (universal cats, mostly). I just figured id try and help a little, since he brought up random tech.

From what ive learned from a lot of GM small engine tuners (what im into right now), is that Random Tech. is pretty much the best out there.. but im sure their world amd the world of the VIPER is totally different territory. I didnt mean to step on any toes ;) . Im sure with what you just told me, that your cat will be very sufficient.

Peace. :usa:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Rashad ,in principal, as I believe his intent was to say that Random Technologies High Flow Cats are considered the Gold
Standard of the Industry. That said,I would like to hear more about APEX's unit,as they have a darn good rep,and it would be interesting to see what
Bill and the guys have discovered. Some of the high flows were just cannibalized off of other machines, whereas Random designed the high flow Snake
Specific. Hopefully we can get Bill to elucidate on his unit and who knows there may be a little competition out there. We have used Random Tech. cats
from Jon for a long time,after getting recommendations from various header manufacturers ,and we have been extremely satisfied.

S

SUN RA KAT

The Random Tech Ultra High Flow Cats were just one of the many neccessary mods that I had Bill put on my Viper before I picked it up from him last year.

Great mod.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Random Tech makes two different high flow Cats for the Viper. One has ceramic internals and the other metallic. Jon Brobst can provide a throrough education on the differences between the two and which is better for your specific application.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen any numbers for flow etc. from different vendors. But when I was deciding on which HF to purchase, almost everyone advertised the same HP gain.
I went with Roe 3". Sills are much cooler, so flow must be greatly improved and I hope I got the HP gain also. I upgraded my entire exhuast at the same time, so can give you any specific numbers. But Sean's reputation is great and he was very helpful with all my questions.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Roe ovals. Can see clear through them.
But they are a tight fit.

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy Duck Viper, do what I did and deal with Jon.B directly for your high flow cat's. He will save you a lot of money rather than dealing direct with Random tech because he orders hundreds of them and saves us the money.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the highest flowing you will ever see.In fact you can see straight through them.They are 3" in and 3" out.Come to think about it,,,they are 3" throughout.There are no sniff tests in our area so why not?They run very cool.Possibly too loud for some.Require a plug in snake box(2) from Jon B. Bruce

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed the Random Tech hi-flows Friday. I'll post my dyno when I get a chance ---- couldn't go this weekend - too many St. Pat events!!!!!! :D

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had the Roe HF cats put in. Additionally, no rear muffler and no resonators, basic HF cats and straight pipes with a crossover for better sound. Just did a dyno and ended up with 419 RWHP and 461 TQ. Everything else is stock except tubes and S&B filters which I took off for the dyno anyway.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had the Roe HF cats put in. Additionally, no rear muffler and no resonators, basic HF cats and straight pipes with a crossover for better sound. Just did a dyno and ended up with 419 RWHP and 461 TQ. Everything else is stock except tubes and S&B filters which I took off for the dyno anyway.

Is that a normal number for that type of setup on a 2001?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went with Roe Ovals, 98+ headers.

Will dyno with just that, then drop the rear muffler and dyno again to isolate muffler gains.

Had a strong pull first time out of 421 SAE.

440 would be nice......

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Numbers are prob a bit low. Everyones numbers were low that day, 12+. I also had it at the dragstrip night before and the tires were adjusted to the low side not the 36 psi that has been suggested. Were doing another pull event in a couple of weeks so we'll see what the diff's are.

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: "Are high flow cats all the same?"

Answer: No- some cost a LOT more than others! :-o

Mine were $70 a piece NEW. And I was there on Saturday dynoing my car along with all the other "low readings" at 485 RWHP :)

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Numbers are prob a bit low. Everyones numbers were low that day, 12+. I also had it at the dragstrip night before and the tires were adjusted to the low side not the 36 psi that has been suggested. Were doing another pull event in a couple of weeks so we'll see what the diff's are.

I'll plan to see you there.... I'm really interested in how my car pulls.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperrule,
i look forward to your results.

i will probably go with the Random Tech hi-flows .
I will call jon B when i return from vacation in a few weeks.
thanks for all the info.

JIM

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperrule,
i look forward to your results.

i will probably go with the Random Tech hi-flows .
I will call jon B when i return from vacation in a few weeks.
thanks for all the info.

JIM

I got everything from JonB - he helped me out a lot. I did all the work myself, pretty straight forward. See ya then..