Are LeMans Viper Engines Available?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that the proven 24 hour Viper GTS-R engines would be an ideal base for a good street Viper as well - does anyone know what power they raced at in endurance events, and if they are available to order? and what rpm's they ran at?

Bottom end could be recovered with proper A/R header cones (an old trick mostly forgotten about because too many people wouldn't pay for them so they have to be custom made) and stepped headers (unequal length to broaden power), with a trick collector setup. I'd also run air spirals tuned into the air intakes to equalise the air distribution and maximise swirl while reducing backpressure in the intake... works well - I've tried it. These plus a fully programmable MOTEC setup would make the GT2 class engines very streetable without decamming...

For those that do not know - a race engine that won't hold full load on a dyno below say 3800rpm will often go down to 2000-2500rpm with A/R headers (at full load)- you'll understand how good that is for a dual purpose engine.... esp. with no sacrifice on top end.

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks - I've written to John Caldwell. Hey Daffy - check out those Burns collectors Caldwell uses - those are some nice pieces - I'd definitely run collectors like that!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks - I've written to John Caldwell. Hey Daffy - check out those Burns collectors Caldwell uses - those are some nice pieces - I'd definitely run collectors like that!

Torquemonster, I checked out the Burns Stainless Merge Collectors. I recognize them from some aftermarket tuner that uses them. Don't recall name of tuner (I'll see if I can find the link). When I first came across the Burns collectors from this tuner, I thought, "wow, now that's what I would put on my Viper!" Nothing like a fine well-engineered piece of high-quality product to make you drool.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll let you guys know anything worth knowing from Caldwell - if they reply to my email...

The Burns collector looks very similar to a 4 into 1 set my friend runs on his 869hp 440 Mopar - they cost around $200US if I recall - not cheap for a collector, but they look twice as good in real life as in pictures - the pipes all blend into a point that protudes out to reduce back pressure.... beautifully made.

Looking at the stuff on the Caldwells web sites you can see they are into top shelf parts - Motec (megabucks to buy and setup properly - but the choice of the top engine builders everywhere in serious competition) Motec is often worth 100 useable hp over other ECU setups in the hands of an expert... Burns collectors, custom racing intakes that have obviously been fine tuned at LeMans and Sebring etc... they probably also have a jig to straighten and realign the lifter bores and all sorts of mods to keep the big V10 rolling at 7000rpm - well over what most Viper engines could survive at. TM likey! :cool:

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No - but I found the Burns website - its www.burnsstainless.com and there is some really good stuff in there. They equip top Pro Stock teams like WJ and Kurt Johnson who have the et and trap speed records. They claim 20-25hp from their merge collectors over normal collectors.... good website - have a look. They will run a computer program and design a Viper setup just for YOUR car - based upon headwork, cam etc... top stuff for those wanting the best exhaust system possible. Unlike many designs theres seems to pick up good torque at lower rpms and extend the power beyond peak power rpms as well - so you get the best of both worlds.