Are stripes clear coated?

SSLIDER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this issue has been disscused before (did a search but didn't find anything). Are the factory stripes on a 02 GTS clear coated after they are applied? A reputable collision shop is certain that the factory stripes are clear coated after they are applied to the finished body panels. They say it is against federal law to only apply a one stage (base coat only) paint job.
Does anyone know for sure what the truth is?

Thanks,

Craig

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many times do you have to post the same question to an obvious answer?
YES THEY ARE CLEAR COATED! NO THEY ARE NOT STICKERS! LMAO!

OP
OP
S

SSLIDER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like asking the same questions others have asked to get a rise out of people like yourself. A simple yes or no with a brief explaination would have been fine.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not that simple. Do you mean are they clear coated over the striped taped off area or do you mean is the whole hood clear coated so you don't feel the edge of the stripe. It's the first way not the second. Woodhouse and a few others would polish them down and clear coat the whole hood so you could not feel the edge. Much classier in my view and what I would do if I had a car not striped at the factory which I wanted to keep original.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The body panels are completely painted with the base color and cleared, then the stripe outline is masked and the paint is lightly scuffed (not to primer). The stripe only is then painted and cleared. After the baking process the stripe is lightly sanded with 2500 grit paper and polished.

The step height in the stripe is defined by Dodge and intentional.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like asking the same questions others have asked to get a rise out of people like yourself. A simple yes or no with a brief explaination would have been fine.

I beleive I provided you with that in your first post.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
here [image]
9579viper_paint_shop_3-med.jpg
[/image] [image]
9579Viper_paint_shop_1-med.jpg
[/image] [image]
9579viper_paint_shop5-med.jpg
[/image] [image]
9579viper_paint_shop_7-med.jpg
[/image] [image]
9579viper_paint_shop_6-med.jpg
[/image] [image]
9579viper_paint_shop_2-med.jpg
[/image]

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Incorrect... Same step, same process. Only differance was the contiguous stripe through rear license plate area in '96.

If you saw a "no step" car, it was a re-paint.