Are the inside of the Side Sills Painted?

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at the photo below:
You must be registered for see images

The area just below in the inner wheel well. Is this area supposed to be painted? I have seen several cars that have this piece painted, but I am assumming it is black from the factory? I have seen the louvered covers (side sill vents)painted. I just wondered if people are actually painting this for a better appearance? To me it's just another area to show dirt, especially on a yellow car. I like it black, but wanted to see what others thought. (It looks like a repaint oversight IMO)

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the back of the side sill is painted. the front is black and almost looks like a plastic piece. the pic shown above is the rear pass side.

OP
OP
chickenwarrior

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
same as Ulysses

Now I am really confused?!?!

Neil, first you said yours were Steel Grey, then later you said "same at Ulysses" who said his were black.

What should they be? And is there a difference between Gen I & II.

I have seen the black in the front and painted in the rear. Is that factory? It just doesn't look right to me. I guess it makes since being as the front tire would throw more road dirt onto the area, and not so much in the rear.

Can anyone give a definitive answer? There seems to be a lot of different answers and I'm not sure why......

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The pic at the top is of the right rear looking forward.
My car is black in front and yellow in the rear like the one in the pic.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front plate is part of the inner wheel housing, not the sill, and is an unpainted black fiberglass type material.

The back of the sill (as pictured above) is the sill end cap, is riveted in and is painted with the sill, same time same color.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front plate is part of the inner wheel housing, not the sill, and is an unpainted black fiberglass type material.

The back of the sill (as pictured above) is the sill end cap, is riveted in and is painted with the sill, same time same color.

My 97 GTS is the same as Ron's 96.

OP
OP
chickenwarrior

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think that answers it! Thanks for all your posts!