Are there really a limited # of certs for SRT's?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Are there really a limited # of certs for SRT\'s?

My sources tell me that there will be a limited number of certificates. I have been told that the '03 production is to be at or around 1500 vehicles, and that 400 of those are already spoken for before today's process even started.(to whom those 400 are going? We can all imagine!)
Today's total number of registered for the 2003 is at 600 and counting! This doesn't mean that they will all get Certificates, but I would assume most of them will check out and get them.
So there are some numbers for you! Looks as though 1000 of the 1500 are already spoken for! And there are a few weeks left until it is all finished!
It really says alot about the Viper and it's following! How many other cars need to have this type of system to control the distribution?
Looks like I might just wait until the '04! Time will tell!
Can't wait to see what the '03 is going for once they are out! And I mean after the buyer purchases it from the dealer and then puts it in the Dupont Reg.!!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How could 400 vehicles already be "spoken for"? I can't imagine what they would do with those cars. I can see 100 or so - for magazine tests, executives, "special cases", etc, but I can't imagine 400 (25%) being spoken for. I'd think you would need to be a pretty high-up higher-up in the DaimlerChrysler organization to get put on the 1st year list without previous Viper ownership.

I wonder who they would be for? Any ideas? Any speculation?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

There seems to be alot of gray area around this program, and the facts are still trickling in...but needless to say, if you go through the motions of applying for the certificate, you are doing all you can do to qualify for the car.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
I can see 100 or so - for magazine tests, executives, "special cases", etc, but I can't imagine 400 (25%) being spoken for. I'd think you would need to be a pretty high-up higher-up in the DaimlerChrysler organization ...

I wonder who they would be for? Any ideas? Any speculation?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Export models.

Remember, it says Daimler before it says Chrysler.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dean,

But if the entire first year might be selling out to Viper owners, then wouldn't Dodge have to export only as many as they have international Viper owners w/Certs who want a Viper?

Wouldn't be fair if you can get a Viper overseas without a cert, before you can get one in the USA with a cert.

Who knows... all I know is I got my confirmation # and I'm happy about that. As Joe says, it's all anyone can do at this point. I'm very confident that those of us with cert #'s will be getting cars.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

400 sounds like a lot to me also! Maybe they will be over in Europe!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, the man asked for ideas and speculation, so I speculated.

From the IVR page, it appears that about 18% of the '92 Gen1 RTs were export models. 18% of 1500 would be about 270. 10% of '93, 23% of '94, 16% of '00s. So anyway, I'd further speculate that somewhere around 20% or better will end up as exports (with Daimler's greater marketing overseas) and a good number (probably that 100 or so mentioned by Mike) will be for the Corporate types, magazine tests, and last, but not least - the Dodge Winston Cup drivers, crew chiefs, and team owners.

Sound reasonable now?

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This from the 2003vgx.com FAQ:

'Question: What if I live in a country outside of North America?

Answer: If your VIN is not found in our records and you meet the criteria, please fax your Viper's Title (front and back) and Vehicle Registration documents at 248-848-0301. In order to participate in this program, you must be willing to take delivery of your Viper at a Dodge dealer in the U.S. Please understand that the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 is not homologated for any market outside of North America and may not be street-legal in countries outside of North America.'

This would suggest that the 'spoken for' models are not destined for Europe. Remember, GenI cars weren't shipped overseas the first few years because of lighting and sound differences between US and export. Looks like this will be the case for the 2003 as well.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dean,

Thanks for the reply
smile.gif
I know we're all speculating here but it's fun! Something to do before we get the '03's and figure a way to pretty em' up a little.

Viperrwk,

Excellent info... which just raises more questions about the 400 cars that have been said to be 'spoken for'. I would be very surprised if Dodge is keeping that many for their own purposes (magazine tests, executives, gifts, etc). We'll see.. anyone got any other ideas? Or know if the 400# is accurate?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, so far this entire thread seems to be based on speculation by someone named Casey who says based on his information, 400 will be withheld, etc. It might be appropriate to ask Casey who he is and who his "source" is. Casey has been on here since March 2001, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Casey? C'mon back, man, who's your source? And, by the way, of course there will be cars ahead of us, how about the dealer principals, the Woodhouse's, Tator's, Fitzgerald's, Roanoke, etc they would not be eligible under these criteria, because their personal cars would never have been registered or titled, but running under dealer plates, but they are certainly deserving to be in line before us, they have millions invested in franchises, and Dodge will, and should take care of them with one or more personal cars. Heck, give 'em 10 each, these guys have been our mainstay.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In responce to the speculation I too think that 400 sounds like a lot of cars. If I am not mistaken the cars that are used for magazine test, auto shows etc are taken out of a different pool of cars and not those for retail sales. They use to have a differant prefix (PV?). I believe they were refered to as Pilot program cars, and they were usually destroyed or dismanteled. Some however, have shown up in the hands of private individuals through bizzare circumstances.
The possibility of them going to Europe (for general sale)is unlikely since the cars were not built with those regulations in mind.
Regarding the possibility of them going to VCA Officers I doubt that very much. No one has told me that any officer is guaranteed anything. I got on the web site this morning like everyone else. I am sure Tony, Joe and Mitch did the same.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, it's o.k. if the officers get first in line, as far as I'm concerned. First, there ain't that many officers. Second, they are the guys who took the time out of their personal and business lives to negotiate this great deal for us. I would even put our moderators on this list. Chris was especially helpful with questions and problems today. And Tony is always there when you need him. And if I'm not mistaken the officers are ineligible for some of the fun, like the raffles.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's kind of fun to speculate about all this, but I agree 100% with Rich's comments above. First, when it comes to priorities, our national officers have a history of putting everyone ELSE's interests above their own. Second, I'll go even further, and say I think it would be almost IMPOSSIBLE for Dodge to play too much favoritism. Why? Well, if form follows history (and with good production reasons for it), quite a large batch of the first 03's are likely to be ALL "Red" in color. If someone "special" wants a Silver or Graphite color, they might just have to wait for awhile anyway! Do some of you remember what happened back in 1998 when they produced Silver for the first time? Personally, I'm more concerned that production will be "snag" free, and that we WILL get at least 1,500 cars in the first year. That will mean a LOT of happy people!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there really a limited # of certs for SRT\'s?

Anyone care to elaborate on this one?

I think in the article in Viper magazine, Dodge said "owners who bought from day 1, until 11/15/01 are eligible to get a cert". To me, that implies that anyone who is eligible can get a certificate.

Is that NOT the case? Sounds like there is a fixed number of certs being given out.

Anyone able to say how many certs they will be giving out? Can anyone say whether the # of certs given out is determined by the expected 1st year production numbers? Is the # of certs less (so some non-cert holders get Vipers), or is it the same (they are limited on the # of Vipers, and they can't give out more certs than cars)?

Just think guys - if 500 people signed up so far, and that is ONLY people really who read this board, and a few that get Viper mag, etc. I bet there are a LOT of people who are eligible, and who intend to get a 2003, who (unlike us fruitcakes) don't feel the need to get it on the first minute of the first day.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike,

Here's a quote from an e-mail sent to SoCal club members this weekend: "The latest information we have heard (and this will be confirmed as quickly as possible) is that there WILL, in fact, be a specific amount of certificates available, based on ONE YEAR'S PRODUCTION! Viper HQ will assign certificates as the web requests and phone calls come in, so there is "a bit" of urgency to the initial internet or phone request."

I believe this came directly from National VCA. When I spoke to Fiona this morning, she confirmed the number of certs is limited. She wouldn't say what the specific number is but gave me a ballpark.

This is why it's frustrating for me still not to have a cert, even though I'm eligible and I called and logged on to the web site right at 9 am Eastern. Sigh.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think all the officers (except Tony) should get their SRT/10 first, since they do all the work. All Tony does is fly anywhere the VCA or Dodge asks him to, spends 2-4 hours a day on VCA stuff, and has to talk to me once a week. OK, I guess that last point allows him to get number 1!

What I really meant to say was that Terri Estes (you know the good looking Estes) is the one who deserves number 1. Just for the fact that she has been married to Tony forever should be MORE than enough.

Lee, that was a very nice gesture on your part. And based on another post, it seems that Mr. JOEY Houss has little bit of a fan club going.
laugh.gif

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim is a great guy and one of the strongest supporters the Viper community has. But I would guess that you may have misinterpreted the numbers, could have been a lot of static between Detroit and Italy
smile.gif

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A few numbers to keep in mind.... when the '96 was introduced, they used 20 cars to introduce it to Europe (not likely for the SRT-10 since the car has side exhaust, and is not homolgamated), as Rich says these cars were pre-production pilot VIN's, .... different pool, also, the 96's running around at Indy were from this same Pilot VIN Pool..... I seem to recall about a dozen of those.

In '92 the first 17 production cars were used for various things ranging from eng test cars and show cars, to mag test cars and "Big-Wig execs get them" cars (most of these were done after teh cars lived their lives in shows or testing VIN 1 Iacocca, VIN 2 Lutz, VIN 9 Eaton...... 1 and 2 toured the country as auto show cars). The number was not that differnet for the new '96 cars, Again from memory, first car to be owned by a non-inside person was one that went to Jack Crane of Crain publishing (does Autoweek plus trade mags), and it was VIN 16 (+/-).

Remember, there are already a lot of SRT-10's running around, so I'm betting that the above speculation is pretty high. A more realistic number is 15-20

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey... Don't forget the regional officers!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, here's the scoop! I got my info. from the V.P. of Dodge Division. I have been in Hot pursuit for one of the SRT-10s, for a long time now! Since I don't qualify for a certificate(1st Viper bought new I sold--current GTS bought Used!), I have been writing letters, making calls!
I wrote a letter to Jim Julow a couple weeks ago, and he actually calls me back!! That really impressed me!! Anyways, we had a nice talk about the VGX, allocation, etc. I still can't get a certificate!! But we discussed my chances and the numbers! That is where I got my info. and numbers. After speaking to him, I really have the feeling that they do look out for us VCA members. They had a very tough decision to make with the allocation of the 2003. And I know Tony Estes and the VCA officers fought hard to get us the best situation!! Even though I didn't win(atleast not yet!)!! It is nice to have people up top that look out for you!! Of course, that includes the VCA officers, of whom I have called/emailed and bugged too!! They are always as helpful as they can be!!
Jim said that he wanted as many Vipers in VCA members garages!! I am sure they don't want Corvette guys getting them before we do!!
I hope that helps things a little!

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Someone on these boards said delivery had to be taken at a US dealer??!! Is this true?? What about us brothers and sisters up north in Canada?? The specs are different between the two countries!! Will we be able to get Canada-ready 2003s up here??
ALSO...as to WHO should get them...I think any female with an original chapter 1 & chapter 2 (who is presently looking to move to a house with a 3 car garage!!) should get a chapter 3!!!
Good luck to everyone!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 400 number is absolutely true. But it is not what has already been speculated. And the reasoning will not be evident until a much later date. But certain people will LOVE the reason.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
The 400 number is absolutely true. But it is not what has already been speculated. And the reasoning will not be evident until a much later date. But certain people will LOVE the reason.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh...VOI 7 attendees? But I would think that many VOI 7 attendees would also be certificate holders, so I would expect there will be some significant overlap? Gosh speculation is fun.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah..ha! I think I figured it out! Anybody else? Remember the statement... "all holders of certificates who have ordered srt10 and who attend VOI 7 will also receive a very special gift." 400 would be an interesting number to conjecture that would cover the group above, and also answers one of the last mysteries about this process as to how DC plans to take a large group of certificate holders and determine who gets theirs first. One other idea. Anybody hear what the pace car for Indy is going to be? 400 special pace car editions out the door first?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FYI. If you already have a Cert why would you get one for being a cert holder and VOI participant? Something just not right there? Might want to start over and think in another area? BTW, you will not have the answer for about 6 month's.

Anyway, so long I am out until I return next week. Please keep expectations down. I don't want someone to get hopes up to high and then get them deflated?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve, I wasn't talking about getting another cert. I was speculating that anyone attending VOI would get first deliveries!
Possibly at VOI, but logisticly that really seems not likely. We know your lips have to remain sealed. I'm sure everyone appreciates the time you guys put in. I know I do.

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So Steve -
It's been more than six months - any clues now as to what the gift is?

-viperrwk

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The gift is not what was eluded to in this thread, but one that all SRT/10 owners will enjoy.

DRYVEM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe it is a certifcate for ordering the hardtop??

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Steve (I guess...)
It would seem from your comment that the gift is something specific to the SRT though I can't believe it would be another free hardtop a la VOI2 - many more attendees with SRTs on order (400?) Perhaps some type of discounted hardtop offer as Dryvem alludes to. I take it it's not something we have to worry about transporting back after the invitational...

-viperrwk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187