Are throttle bodies the only reason keeping us gen3 guys from running gen4 intake

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the Drive By wire Throttle-bodies really the only reason us gen3 guys can’t run gen4 intake? We all know by now that the gen 4 heads, intake etc. will bolt up directly to our bottom end but because we have Drive By Cable the gen 4 throttle-bodies won’t be compatible. Anything else I’m missing here? Seems like one with a good engineering mind, mechanical knowledge and a CNC machine can make a drive by cable set up for the gen 4 intake. Now I know Viper-Specialties has already done this and in no way am I trying to step on any bodies toes. I’m not trying to make a business out of it, just want to do this for myself. He offers a great product/service but it’s just not for me. I just want the gen4 intake, for looks and nothing more.

How about getting a set of gen2 throttle bodies and adopting them to work?

I know I’m not the only one on here that has played around with idea so let’s hear your thoughts.

P.S. yes I'm planning on running gen 4 heads.
-I'm not doing this form HP, strictly for looks. I understand other easier alternatives.

Last edited:

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You might try contacting 345s-bspinnin I think he's running the intake from the Mopar Performance kit.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, scratch that. He's running the throttle body from the 800hp Mopar crate motor. Damn memory is shot, it's hell getting old.

Come to think of it, I don't believe the Gen IV intake or exhaust manifolds are compatible with a Gen III head, though Dan is probably the best resource on this topic.

You might try contacting 345s-bspinnin I think he's running the intake from the Mopar Performance kit.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 intake has a totally different port and bolt set up to bolt to the heads than a Gen 3 manifold does and the the Gen 4 heads have different exhaust port shape and size and bolt pattern than a Gen 3 head does as well.

Anton, hold on for a week or 2....

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I know Nadar did the conversion and I'm not sure I understand what the benefits would have been over an aggressive cam, some Greg Good Gen 3 heads, a ported and polished intake manifold with single throttle body, good free flowing exhaust, and a good tune?

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry I should have been more clear, I'm planning on running gen4 heads.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Nadar did the conversion and I'm not sure I understand what the benefits would have been over an aggressive cam, some Greg Good Gen 3 heads, a ported and polished intake manifold with single throttle body, good free flowing exhaust, and a good tune?

Strictly for looks for me.

Reaction score
Speaking of intakes, you might want to wait and see what the Gen 5 intake might do with the Gen 4 setup if you are looking for horsepower...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am quite confused as to what you are trying to accomplish here. The exact product you are talking about... we already offer. If its the dollars and cents aspect of it pushing you off... you will soon find out how reasonable we actually are when you get a quote for a short product run on something like you are talking about.

To comment on other aspects:

-NO, Gen-4 heads DO NOT bolt directly onto Gen-3 blocks without modifications.
-YES, there are more things involved with the manifold than you are factoring in. A couple of them actually.
-NO, you cannot adapt a Gen-1/2 type throttle body for the job. Completely different design that would require a multi-piece adapter, resulting in the throttle bodies being WAY too far forward to fit correctly... not to mention they are a good bit smaller.

You are talking huge dollars and overall changes for simply a visual change.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Drive Naders car back to back with a ported Gen-3 Head/Cam car that makes similar numbers, and you will understand, well before you even see under the hood. There is absolutely no comparison between the engine compartment of Nader's car compared to any Gen-3 based package. Even with the exact same "work" done to a Gen-3, it tips heavily in the Gen-4 favor on a visual level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am quite confused as to what you are trying to accomplish here. The exact product you are talking about... we already offer. If its the dollars and cents aspect of it pushing you off... you will soon find out how reasonable we actually are when you get a quote for a short product run on something like you are talking about.

To comment on other aspects:

-NO, Gen-4 heads DO NOT bolt directly onto Gen-3 blocks without modifications.
-YES, there are more things involved with the manifold than you are factoring in. A couple of them actually.
-NO, you cannot adapt a Gen-1/2 type throttle body for the job. Completely different design that would require a multi-piece adapter, resulting in the throttle bodies being WAY too far forward to fit correctly.

You are talking huge dollars and overall changes for simply a visual change...

I want to run the gen4 intake, using the stock Gen4 heads or the mopar kit, doesn't matter. I want to get this accomplished locally. Like I said, not trying to step on your toes and do not expect you to give up any informative info. I started this thread to help better understand what exactly it will take to get this to work. I believe it's all in the throttle bodies and I can have a set CNCd to work.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I believe it's all in the throttle bodies and I can have a set CNCd to work.

Its not. Lets just say there is a good bit you cannot see in any pictures I have ever posted. :D

I think you are seriously underestimating the cost and hassle of making a pair of throttle bodies and all of the parts to make them function correctly, but that is certainly your prerogative.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not. Lets just say there is a good bit you cannot see in any pictures I have ever posted. :D

I think you are seriously underestimating the cost and hassle of making a pair of throttle bodies and all of the parts to make them function correctly, but that is certainly your prerogative.

Like I said, the purpose of this thread is to collectively gather information that will help me and all understand exactly whats involved.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like Dan said here, I'm sure it can be done, carefully consider the amount of time, effort, money involved before you take that first step. Dan's a wealth of knowledge as it relates to this type of stuff, you'll probably end up back at his doorstep at some point. I have have a few times.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton,

There is a custom Gen 4 intake on ebay right now. It might be worth contacting the seller to ask him a few questions about it.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is absolutely not a Gen-4 compatible manifold, regardless of what the auction may say. It is a Gen-1/2/3 style flange and fuel rail arrangement.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would contact Greg Good to see what he says. He knows Viper Heads/blocks/intakes and I think he's currently helping a Srt 10 Ram guy add gen IV heads/custom intake to his gen 3 motor.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Dan said here, I'm sure it can be done, carefully consider the amount of time, effort, money involved before you take that first step. Dan's a wealth of knowledge as it relates to this type of stuff, you'll probably end up back at his doorstep at some point. I have have a few times.

He definitely is but i dont expect him to share any of his secretes so i can replicate his hard work. :)

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would contact Greg Good to see what he says. He knows Viper Heads/blocks/intakes and I think he's currently helping a Srt 10 Ram guy add gen IV heads/custom intake to his gen 3 motor.

Thanks for the advise. I will contact him ASAP

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 intake has a totally different port and bolt set up to bolt to the heads than a Gen 3 manifold does and the the Gen 4 heads have different exhaust port shape and size and bolt pattern than a Gen 3 head does as well.

More info on this??

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

whats in two weeks?!?!?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang