Arwe ever going to see a tuner for the GEN-IV pcm?

Will we ever see a handheld tuner for the GEN-IV pcm?

• Total voters

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years now...what say you guys?

Will we ever be able to bolt on forced induction without the cost of stand alone engine management?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Some items, sure. An SCT-Like programmer? Highly unlikely, unless they continue to use the VC for years to come. Regaurdless, the aftermarket EMS, while pricey, have many benefits.

OP
OP
K

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some items, sure.

Like what items? I guess what I'm saying is that I've always been a big fan of individually dyno tuning each and every car. No two cars are the same and I'm having a hard time with the idea of plunking down $1K plus labor for what is essentially a "canned" tune with no further adjustments available.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, do the EMS leave the VVT operable, or do they just override it?

The Pectel/Motec ECU's take complete control of the engine, including the VVT and FBW control. When all is said and done, the VC is left to output gauge information, control the A/C, and thats about it...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Like what items? I guess what I'm saying is that I've always been a big fan of individually dyno tuning each and every car. No two cars are the same and I'm having a hard time with the idea of plunking down $1K plus labor for what is essentially a "canned" tune with no further adjustments available.

I was just getting at the fact that a tuner or two may end up cracking *some* of the program, but it will probably never be end-user adjustable unless some large SCT-like companies get involved. They need to have a good business case to do so, and a 3-year production run wont cut it.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just getting at the fact that a tuner or two may end up cracking *some* of the program, but it will probably never be end-user adjustable unless some large SCT-like companies get involved. They need to have a good business case to do so, and a 3-year production run wont cut it.

I think DC is working on it:dunno:...hopefully they will crack it in the next six months!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think DC is working on it:dunno:...hopefully they will crack it in the next six months!

Yes, I believe they are. But again, they very likely wont decode the whole thing. There is also a lot that cannot be done unless DC has the car in front of them- and that is where end-user tuning comes in, which will more than likely never see the light of day... unless the VC is used in the Gen-5. Regardless, there are about a million reasons to go with aftermarket controllers, up to and including the laundry list of things they can do that the VC CANNOT do.

The Gen-4 finds itself in an odd place. the mid-tier builds of 1000hp or so would require a full engine re-work anyway, thus bumping the price, and making it easier to swallow the ECU cost. However, the lower tier builds require less work than other generations, but dont have the tuning capability... yet. This is likely where the ECU tuning will pick up the slack on a simple level, much like the SCT does for the Gen-2/3's. The only problem is that without end-user tuning, it wont be nearly as widespread as the SCT is. The result is still a "gap" that most will fall into, as the VC tuning would be limited, and the Pectel/Motec options remain very pricey.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Dan is alluding to the VC is so complex and everything it does is intertwined with the entire car in some way, be it a sensor or a regulator sharing information through the controller that unless you have FULL control of the VC you will always have "hiccups" that the majority of customers will not be able to tolerate. SRT spent thousands of hours making everything work seamlessly and I don't see any tuners going to that length to insure drivability and functionality of the entire car is not compromised.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the time it's ready, the Gen V will be out. Any tuner would be crazy to be pouring R&D $ into this with a new and unknown model on the horizon. Unless they are on the verge of marketing it by this time anyway, I don't see it happening.

OP
OP
K

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years and I'm starting to get a hankering for another GenIV, so I thought I would bump this thread.

What's the status of GenIV bolt ons these days? Same? Better? Worse?

Thanks,

John

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years and I'm starting to get a hankering for another GenIV, so I thought I would bump this thread.

What's the status of GenIV bolt ons these days? Same? Better? Worse?

Thanks,

John
You are not holding your breath, I hope. If this did not happen when Gen4 was the current model, it never will. Mopar PCM is the only relatively option and whatever can be ran through it. A discontinued car with very limited production numbers is a waste of money for aftermarket tuners, this is the reality. Should be interesting though to see how Gen5 will pan out, chances are very good that it will be even worse than Gen 4. Exclusivity is a two way street.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte