Asking price for stock cats?

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am planning on modding my exhaust in the the near of future and I will be taking off the cats. They are coming off of a 97 gts coupe with 22,000 miles on it. Can someone please let me know what a fair asking price would be for these? Thanks.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that if you're not installing it yourself, that most muffler\auto shops will not install a used one, as it's illegal to buy\install used cats... i really don't know why...

At least it most states it is... not sure about Pennsylvania...

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put flanges on my stock cats and replaced with high flow cats. When I sell the car the stock ones will go with the car. If you sell your car out of state such as California the buyer might have to pass smog and he will need stock cats...

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan on keeping this car for good. This was my dream car growing up, so I have no need for the cats because I am emission exempt. It is a collector car and I put less than 2,500 miles on it a year. I didn't know if it would be of more value to sell them or just take them to a scrap yard and sell them for the metal.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are doing your exhaust , do the entire unit -- headers , hi flow cats and exhaust and keep the stock unit. Everyone scrapped them and now they are quite difficult to find. Great selling point one of these days as stock cars are becoming more and more in demand. Save your stuff so it can be changed back. We had a ton of exhausts and scrapped all of them -- now when someone wants it turned back to stock the parts are tough to find.

FRC Z51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do end up cutting them off, sell them to a scrapper/recycler. Around the Chicagoland area we would get an easy $75-100 each due to their size. The material in side them is worth big $$.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
note what is said after 1:10 sec in...;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtFp-SV0tY[/media]

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do end up cutting them off, sell them to a scrapper/recycler. Around the Chicagoland area we would get an easy $75-100 each due to their size. The material in side them is worth big $$.

Bingo

We are getting $100+ for them as long as they are not burned out "hollow".

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i looked into selling mine to a scrap dealer, but so many are being stolen these days that i was told it is illegal for them to buy them off joe blow or euch in houston

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The converter recycleing market is huge. There is a gentleman here in TN that makes a fortune having them broken down in China and then sells the precous metals. Who would have thought.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4