Asking vs Getting

diegoted

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been looking for a 96-97 GTS. Kelly Blue Book has them listed in excellent condition for 28K for a 96 and 34K for a 97 with 20K miles. This seems to be around 7-10K below most of the
asking prices I have seen both dealer and private. Why such a huge difference? Are sellers getting 7-10k more than KBB?

thx for taking the time to help a future owner.

thx Diego

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
because 28 k is way to low unless its junk remember you get what you pay for ?? i would say 35k to 40k is a good price range if i was selling my 1996 gts it would be around 38k KBB is crazy!

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because its supply and demand. Hate to use analogy its like hondas or toyotas demand premium price versus kbb price. In case of vipers gen 1 and 2 they are becomingmore collectible and always in demand, remember they built very few vipers. If you want to go by kbb you will be in corvette territory.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think that's a big difference in KBB value and what people are asking, go research cars like the Supra and NSX. Hold on to your butt.

When I was searching for a Viper, I was shocked at how inexpensive they were for what you get.

Hell, you dont even get the KBB price on a Civic let alone a Viper.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also depends on the motivation of the seller. If you have the balance sheet to support a long sales cycle, they bring mid 30's to 40. If you want to move it quickly I have seen some go for mid to high 20's. Supply and demand.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some factors to consider. Let's say you have found two 96 GTS's that both have about 20K miles on them and they differ in price by a few grand.

Car 1 has new tires. Past service history indicates spark plugs, wires, rear end and transmission fluid have been replaced. Coolant was also replaced a few times since new. 998 recal done (correctly).

Car 2 has original tires and besides oil changes, everything else has not bee changed.

To me, Car 1 is worth 3-4K more than Car 2 all other things being equal, specifically the condition of paint and interior.

One final note, before I ended up buying my car new, I looked for a used Viper figuring I could save a bunch of money and get a car with just a few thousand miles in perfect condition. What I quickly found out is the disparity between how Vipers were kept. As an example, I loooked at two used 01's (both cars had under 3K miles back in 03) and also looked at a 96 RT/10 with 26K miles on it. The 96 car was actually in better condition than both 01's. Both 01's had cracked center consoles, wheels curbed, door stanchions ripped, seats heavily worn. Trying to repair/replace theese components can also get very expensive.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find the perfect car for you. Just remember that you often get what you pay for. Don't be afraid to spend a bit more to get a car that's in better condition and has been cared for.

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some factors to consider. Let's say you have found two 96 GTS's that both have about 20K miles on them and they differ in price by a few grand.

Car 1 has new tires. Past service history indicates spark plugs, wires, rear end and transmission fluid have been replaced. Coolant was also replaced a few times since new. 998 recal done (correctly).

Car 2 has original tires and besides oil changes, everything else has not bee changed.

To me, Car 1 is worth 3-4K more than Car 2 all other things being equal, specifically the condition of paint and interior.

One final note, before I ended up buying my car new, I looked for a used Viper figuring I could save a bunch of money and get a car with just a few thousand miles in perfect condition. What I quickly found out is the disparity between how Vipers were kept. As an example, I loooked at two used 01's (both cars had under 3K miles back in 03) and also looked at a 96 RT/10 with 26K miles on it. The 96 car was actually in better condition than both 01's. Both 01's had cracked center consoles, wheels curbed, door stanchions ripped, seats heavily worn. Trying to repair/replace theese components can also get very expensive.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find the perfect car for you. Just remember that you often get what you pay for. Don't be afraid to spend a bit more to get a car that's in better condition and has been cared for.

I was in the same boat as you. My 98 is cleaner than any later model I have EVER looked at. I looked at an 01 ACR with stripes that was down right disgusting. The online pics looked good, but no good in person. Online pictures due zero justice compared to seeing it in person. Always personally inspect a car before buying. Never take a seller's word for it out of state

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also in the market for a low-mileage '96 GTS. I use Keith Martin's Sports Car Market guide which is published regularly and tracks most auction results and sales. I also have access to the Hagerty Price guide as a customer/member of Hagerty. Every price guide I see puts the value in the range noted in this thread (upper value in the Sports Car Market price guide is just under $40K). With that said, not that many low mileage '96 GTS change hands. My thoughts are guys that have these cars don't really "need" to sell and therefore won't at anywhere near the <$40K valuation. The cars that are trading are cars that have been used/driven and enjoyed. There isn't any "collector" value and therefore they trade at a lower price point.

'97 GTS prices aren't much lower than '96 models so there isn't a premium for 1st-year models.

I happen to agree with viper k and I would expect to pay mid-upper $30's for a well maintained good condition '96/'97 GTS and could be higher if you don't have a motivated seller.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Difficult to compare auction prices against retail street prices.

Everyone wants a pristine one owner, low miles, well maintained, fresh tires, never wrecked, never raced, garage kept, never smoked in, great running, smooth shifting, easy clutching, well documented, popular color, clean interior, perfect paint, no stories viper, however these rarely are the ones run through an auction.

If you want auction prices, you gotta buy at the auction.

A well sorted car, from a good seller, usually commands a higher than auction price.

A well sorted car from a dealership, even more.

Dealerships and flippers want to buy at Blue Book and sell at retail prices. Dealers say in jest "if you want to buy at Blue Book prices you should buy one from Blue Book"

Lots of money can be saved by diligent searching and great bargaining skills, however this takes lots of time and effort, and often getting the best prices requires you to get a different car than you truly desire.

Take this from a guy that usually pays way to much for his cars and other toys : <(

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I paid 38k for a mint 97 GTS with 19k miles. It had all recalls, power steering mod (so your new toy won't go up into flames), new tires, headers, X pipe with hi flo cats (So you don't fry on the stove door sills), short throw shifter, and intake. There are deals out there, but the are RARE. If you wan't an ACR.. expect to pay the premium + since they are hard to come by in great shape and not ran hard.. especially the 99 ACR.

If an owner has performed the above mods you will know he is WELL informed and knows how to take care of his/her viper. Vipers with above 20k miles wo/the 'NO DUH' mods I'd be careful with. (Power Steering/Recalls/New Tires)

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KBB is on crack. A very very clean (I wouldn't buy a 96 any other way) no history what's so ever 96 is around 40k. My 96 is 100% stock (except for a cat back Borla) with the original tires still on it.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
KBB is on crack. A very very clean (I wouldn't buy a 96 any other way) no history what's so ever 96 is around 40k. My 96 is 100% stock (except for a cat back Borla) with the original tires still on it.

Any 96 GTS with the exception of a salvage title car), is going to be worth big money in the future. I hope to own one in the near future. If I were to keep a second GTS, it will be special, one way or another. A 96 is special in itself. When I can find one at the right price, I will snag it and drive it. It will sit near my 97 GTS......................... :D