Asymmetric driving shoes?

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know some (all?) of the Piloti models have a widened right shoe sole to aid in blipping the throttle while braking (heel/toeing).

Who else makes driving shoes that are narrow on the left foot and widened on the right?

I have big ol' size 13's, and I'm stuck in-between: my Puma Future Cat is narrow and perfect for working the clutch (and using the dead pedal)... but a normal-width sneaker works best on my right foot for confident brake pedal feel while easily rolling a blip to the throttle.

Don't want to be the guy out there with two different shoes, but at this point, fashion may need to suffer!

BTW, those Puma Future Cats are just $50 online, and sizes run true to Nike. Pretty comfy, and designed for driving.

Rich

TI3VOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Love my Piloti's, but check out Simpson racing shoes, they are a little hot but also a great driving shoe and they are a little wider than the Piloti.

They also have some pretty sweet designs that will meet your fashion needs. :2tu:

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those that have piloti's will a EE width fit? or should i look elsewhere such as simpson?

J

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who makes both of them narrow? With size 12 shoes I sure don't need extra width. I need a shoe that makes my 12 an 8:)

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who makes both of them narrow? With size 12 shoes I sure don't need extra width. I need a shoe that makes my 12 an 8:)

Go with the Pumas. Variety of styles, some not as... uhhhh, un-manly as the cheapies I mentioned above. Narrow but still comfortable.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Piloti makes a better driving shoe than Puma. No toe cap on most Puma driving shoes so they wear too fast if used outside the car. You need to purchase a full size larger than normal US sizes. Personally, I like the leather Lusso version of Piloti best. My second favorite is Converse All Stars!

James

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piloti makes a better driving shoe than Puma. No toe cap on most Puma driving shoes so they wear too fast if used outside the car. You need to purchase a full size larger than normal US sizes. Personally, I like the leather Lusso version of Piloti best. My second favorite is Converse All Stars!

James

Haven't had my hands on a pair of Piloti's... is the left shoe really more narrow than the right? I'm trying to figure out if their right shoe "reinforced" outer edge is mostly marketing hype or a truly usable feature. Pics I find on the net are usually just the posed pair and don't show me if the widths are different.

Would you say that most Piloti's are pretty light and flexible?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't want to be the guy out there with two different shoes, but at this point, fashion may need to suffer!

Why not be the one to start the fashion trend. Hats on sideways or at an angle used to be a sign of mental deficiency. Same for wool stocking caps pulled down to the eyebrows or a hoodies up on a 110 degree Phoenix afternoon, or pants down 4 inches below the waist line.

Someone has to be the starter of the trend. I bet that in 5 years after you start, everyone will be wearing two different brands and styles of shoes ! :2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those that have piloti's will a EE width fit? or should i look elsewhere such as simpson?

J

i find the piloti's run narrow, i have to buy a half to full size larger to make the width right, but it works

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Piloti shoes are not narrower on the right side compared to the left, they simply have a smaller rubber extension on the outside sole to accomodate heal and toeing. The Avus and Tifosi models can be more comfortable if you have a wider foot since the lacing system is different than their other shoes. It is definately more comfortable as an everyday shoe. I find that the tongue of the Avus moves about and partially exposes my socks under the laces after a couple of hours use while walking about.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Herrington has the Piloti Lusso line at 50% off the original $150 price. I noticed that the Piloti USA site was down. I hope Piloti hasn't gone out of business!

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not be the one to start the fashion trend. Hats on sideways or at an angle used to be a sign of mental deficiency. Same for wool stocking caps pulled down to the eyebrows or a hoodies up on a 110 degree Phoenix afternoon, or pants down 4 inches below the waist line.

Someone has to be the starter of the trend. I bet that in 5 years after you start, everyone will be wearing two different brands and styles of shoes ! :2tu:

I'll dare to be different, if it comes to that! Just have to keep a "clutch shoe" in the car at all times...

re: the Piloti's, my main question is whether the sole/outer of the left shoe is somewhat narrow, while the right shoe always has a wider reinforced sole and upper for use on brake+throttle...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte