Automatic Trans Conversion?...

Signal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious guys and hope this isn't a taboo subject!...*LOL*...Anyways, just wondering if there is any vendor that does an automatic transmission conversion for Vipers?...Basically a heavy duty automatic with a 3,000-4,000 stall converter...Someone like Lingenfelter or TNT?...Or just a specialty tranny shop?...I know that [******] Performance has a couple of options but is there anyone else?...Any info would be appreciated!...Thanks guys!...I don't own one but I love those Vipers!!!...

Jason

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you have an automatic in a street car, you will probably need to keep the converter stall speed lower than your normal cruising rpm.

If you have a 4,000 rpm converter and you drive down the highway at 1,700 rpm, you will be slipping and generating lots of heat.

I guess it would be ok if you had some kind of a lockup converter

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Automatic?
You need a Corvette.
If Dodge makes an auto Viper, then a Viper SUV will be next. Curse the day.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Graphite, how dare you say that 8 letter word in this forum! I didn't think they allowed swearing in here. But I am with you, sad day when a Viper becomes a 4 door!!?? lol

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little cynical when it comes to loading every car with luxury items. Did the first 427 Cobra have heated seats and cruise control? We lard butted (and I am one) North Americans have to have two cupholders per person; seat coolers; 14 computers; auto dimming glove box lights;
and rich corinthian leather; on our riding lawn mowers.
My GTS has all the luxury it needs and a six speed manual tranny, which is proper for a car of this demeanor.
Actually, I enjoy my '63 lowrider more that my Mitsu Eclipse.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I have a 66 Mustang convertible and it doesn't even have a heater control, hense no heat! But it does have an ashtray. Go figure. Geez, my riding mower has a cup holder. Kind of surprised it doesn't have wiper blades on the headlight so when I am mowing my yard at 3mph I can get the bugs off so I can see better!?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think there may be at least a couple of options, do a search on this site. I think someone or two have converted to a slush-box. there also might be a sequential gearbox(racing style) that will work on the car. not an option i'd expect to get my money back out of when you sell the car. I must have been done by now there has been talk on this subject for too long for it not to be a reality yet, i am curious how it worked(s)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think there may be at least a couple of options, do a search on this site. I think someone or two have converted to a slush-box. there also might be a sequential gearbox(racing style) that will work on the car. not an option i'd expect to get my money back out of when you sell the car. I must have been done by now there has been talk on this subject for too long for it not to be a reality yet, i am curious how it worked(s)

Oh ya baby, just get one of these sequential transmissions for about $20K : www.quaifeamerica.com/transmissions/rwd/33g.htm
add an ignition interupt, preload the shifter as you approach shift rpm and POW you're in the next gear :)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL that didn't take long for someone to find! sounds like a reasonable amount for a trans change!!

I already had that Quaife URL saved for future reference ;)

$20K is just for the trans, bellhousing etc !

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We have a NJ member that has one of the few conversions. I believe there is also a Canadian gentleman that has a true clutchless manual as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21