Automobile and Motor Trend rags

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought both issues with the 600 hp Viper on the cover. Remember when people would ask how much hp our GenIIs had and after telling them they would reply with "450? Holy ****!!!

That 600 number just looks reeeeeal good.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and I'm still hoping for some secret weight rductions that hasn't been announced. Either way, something for me to shoot for in 08-09.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and I'm still hoping for some secret weight rductions that hasn't been announced.

Dont hold your breath on that one. When at the Chrysler Tech Center for the VCA President's Meetings, someone asked about the weight and we were told it was virtually identical to the Gen 3 weight

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and I'm still hoping for some secret weight rductions that hasn't been announced.

Dont hold your breath on that one. When at the Chrysler Tech Center for the VCA President's Meetings, someone asked about the weight and we were told it was virtually identical to the Gen 3 weight

That was sarcasm... I'm hoping for the secret jet engines in the trunk too. :p

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that most people have no idea of the importance of this number. It is a very substantial increase. There was a ton of engineering to make this happen. Also it shows that Viper has some political pull in the organization which is a very good thing for the future.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I love my 2005 SRT/10, I may just have to buy the same car in 2008 just because Dodge made it 600hp.

I used to think the Ford GT was something withs it's 550hp.

Oh, and lets not forget the 565lbs of torque that come the that 600hp from Dodge.

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I question how much engineering they really had to do becuse Ilmor makes 700hp in a very reliable marine package. before everyone starts with there are no emissions, think again because they will have atalytic convertors soon enough.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I question how much engineering they really had to do becuse Ilmor makes 700hp in a very reliable marine package. before everyone starts with there are no emissions, think again because they will have atalytic convertors soon enough.

If they only did one hour of engineering or a gazillion hours, does it really matter that much to you? An entire new drivetrain with 600hp!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ilmor doesn't have to be concerned with the fuel mileage, the engine codes developed by low rpm misfires, and the list goes on and on. You are comparing two entirely different animals :buttkick:

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ilmor doesn't have to be concerned with the fuel mileage, the engine codes developed by low rpm misfires, and the list goes on and on. You are comparing two entirely different animals :buttkick:
Do you really think they care about mpg, they have 6 gears which gives great ave. mpg.
Talk about misfires, how about decelation backfires. That marine engine is sweet in all rpm ranges. I'm just saying Ilmor did very little to take this engine to 700hp.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you really think they care about mpg, they have 6 gears which gives great ave. mpg.
Talk about misfires, how about decelation backfires. That marine engine is sweet in all rpm ranges. I'm just saying Ilmor did very little to take this engine to 700hp.

Catalytic converters do not complete an emissions package. As I am not completely familiar with the Ilmor modifications to achieve 700 HP, I can't comment on the ease of achieving that figure. What I can say is that Ilmor is probably not rating the engine at 700 HP using the current automotive industries SAE standards. Even if they were using the same standards, there is no way that engine would meet 2008 emission standards or even current ones. Dodge didn't redesign all those engine components for the sake of marketing. Marine engines are completely different beasts with their own special set of requirements.

Anyway, I agree Chuck, 600 HP much less NORMALLY ASPIRATED is amazing. I think the crash rate on these cars is gonna set some new highs, or lows depending on how you look at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad