AUTOWEEK First Gen 5 drive posted on their Website

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received an email link to Autoweek's first drive of the new Gen V. Oddly enough it took place at Gingerman where the posted GenV pics were taken.

Overall the review was good but it seems it was track time only. Go to Autoweeks website to read it if you don't get their daily new letter.

You heard it here first...:)

Stev A.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2013 SRT Viper is not as raw and unapologetic as its predecessor but retains enough of the original Viper aura to keep the faithful happy.

Despite the weight cutting program, fuel economy falls to 12 mpg city and 18 mpg highway (from 13 mpg city/22 mpg highway for the old car).

2013 SRT Viper

On Sale: Orders begin in November, deliveries start in January

Base Price: $100,000 (est)

Drivetrain: 8.4-liter 640-hp, 600-lb-ft V10; RWD, six-speed manual

Curb Weight: 3,354 lbs

0-60 mph: 3.5 sec (mfr est)

Fuel Economy (EPA): 12 mpg city/18 mpg highway

How does this one take such a hit in MPG? Nearly 20% loss on the freeway over the 4th gen?

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does this one take such a hit in MPG? Nearly 20% loss on the freeway over the 4th gen?

I know, it is a bit strange and I can't blame the extra HP just like that, I hope the estimation is wrong..

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure I will get the "you don't buy a Viper for the MPG" reply. But from my understanding the engine is supposed to be more efficient and with the weight reduction (especially with the AL flywheel) I was surprised to read that number.

However I just read the Motor Trend article on it and I see the '13 has a 3.55 rear vs 3.07 and that is probably the answer right there, along with the bit wider tires.

I will say the 180 mile road trip I did last month with my '08 with a calculated 21.X mpg it did put a smile on my face however.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I imagine that the drop has a lot to do with the gearing which may not work as well with the EPA testing procedures. The EPA estimates are based off of a very set way of testing the vehicle, that is why shift lockouts are in certain cars to bump up the EPA estimates. Real world driving is another thing.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 6th gear in previous vipers existed solely for increasing highway mpg. Now that they've replaced 6th gear with a shorter ratio, the fuel economy suffers. TANSTAAFL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21