Autoweek on Coupe

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that I think Dodge and the Viper boys need to up the hp. I don't see why it will not happen. If I had the disposable income, I would buy the coupe in a heartbeat. The looks and untapped potential of the engine are enough reason for me. I like the way it looks, and the fact that I don't see them all over the place.

I think Chevy nailed it with this z06. Its a better buy. Its a little faster. But even over at "their" board its still talked about how they will be 40k in a couple of years. I will take a 60k viper coupe in a few years over a 40k vette z06 for looks and exclusivity alone. I mod to my liking and dont really care what comes from the factory to a great extent.

Most car manufacturers ping pong over who is fastest and "the best buy" all the time. If Dodge doesnt answer, then that will probably mean the end of the Viper program. People will probably want a viper even more if that occured. The aftermarket will make that "ancient" viper be a 1000hp car if someone really wanted it to. Other people will move to the next greatest and FACTORY FASTEST car. Could be chevy, ford, dodge, who knows. Get what you want and who cares about the competition. I buy my cars because of many factors and not soley on speed.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Safirewiper, having the word "enthusiast" under your name is an oxymoron...maybe "enemy combatant" would be more fitting. :D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When they run them on the same day on the same surface under the same conditions then you can get your little ******* in a knot. Until then, who cares? Come to think of it who cares anyway?

The new Vette will certainly outperform your GTS, but somehow I'm guesssing you wouldn't be willing to trade.

Dirk

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"They have the Viper running a half second behind the Z06 in the quarte mile and costing 20 K more. How's that for progress?"

Yea, but look how long it took the competition to catch up. I'd say about 10 years or so...

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoweek's pics:

438201.jpg

43822_152_.jpg

43822_27_.jpg

43822_2_.jpg

43822_92_.jpg

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"They have the Viper running a half second behind the Z06 in the quarte mile and costing 20 K more. How's that for progress?"

Yea, but look how long it took the competition to catch up. I'd say about 10 years or so...

Like that matters in the winners circle....

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read C&D's review, they got a 12.1 vs. the Z06 11.7 in an earlier issue. They did say it was quite hot and humid on the day of testing though. The article was good, no more nit picking then youd expect.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"winner's circle"

Which of your cars do you race Mopar426?

Can you tell me where the new Z06 has raced against the GenIII Viper and ended up in the "winner's circle"?

I assume you are referring to the "winner's circle ****" where people sit around talking about stats reported in different magazines and recorded with different equipment on different days and tracks.

I love my GenIII convertible and don't know of a single time when I've been bested by the new UberChebby and its long list of expected statistics.

Dirk

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to worry my fellow Vipermen, All these recent numbers on the Viper are absolute nonsense. Somebody's grandmother must have been driving that car. I can give you test after test on the Viper that destroys those ridiculous TIMES & MPH. Just one example, Motor Trend, June 2003 Dodge Viper SRT 10 Standing Quarter Mile---- 11.77 @ 123.63 ---Huh!
0-60 -----3.94--- Huh! Braking 60-0 97 feet----Huh!
A new Braking record for a production car, first time in history. Viper, 100-0 274 feet , previous record holder, corvette Z06 294 feet. I believe they show the new Z06 as beating the Viper this year at 107 feet, B.S. Yea Right. What the hell are these idiots proving except their incompetence in driving and testing cars. A Viper can kill a Vette head to head, and before all you corvette guys wet your pants, I also own a vette, and love it, but there is absolutely no comparison I KNOW !!! I own BOTH! Looks or Performance!!! I'm really tired of all this hand wringing.
Let's start to deal in Facts not Fiction. We have the best Car for the money. I could have bought the new Z06 two months ago instead of my 2005 Viper, I chose the VIPER and would make the same choice again knowing everything I now know!!!!!!!!!!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they run them on the same day on the same surface under the same conditions then you can get your little ******* in a knot. Until then, who cares? Come to think of it who cares anyway?

The new Vette will certainly outperform your GTS, but somehow I'm guesssing you wouldn't be willing to trade. And will certainly outperform your srt10 too!! The current motor trend ALSO shows better times 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Thats why I ordered a new zo6. Hey the new coupe with a bunch of bolt ons might be quicker though. Get ready for all the after market junk. ( I am still keeping the GTS for history sake.)

Dirk

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"winner's circle"

Which of your cars do you race Mopar426?

ALL my cars are run at the track on a regular basis. I'm no poser I actually use my car they way they were intended.

Can you tell me where the new Z06 has raced against the GenIII Viper and ended up in the "winner's circle"?

I assume you are referring to the "winner's circle ****" where people sit around talking about stats reported in different magazines and recorded with different equipment on different days and tracks.

I love my GenIII convertible and don't know of a single time when I've been bested by the new UberChebby and its long list of expected statistics.

Dirk

True there has YET to be a head to head shotout, until then we ccan only speculate. BUT so far the numbers APPEAR to be going in the Vettes favor. Not saying either is faster/better, etc, when the head to head race copmes there will be nothing left but the crying, that and excuses I'm sure regardless which car wins.

My point was toward someone making excuses about how long it too the Vette to be competitive. Who cars how long it took first across the line is all that matters.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to worry my fellow Vipermen, All these recent numbers on the Viper are absolute nonsense. Somebody's grandmother must have been driving that car. I can give you test after test on the Viper that destroys those ridiculous TIMES & MPH. Just one example, Motor Trend, June 2003 Dodge Viper SRT 10 Standing Quarter Mile---- 11.77 @ 123.63 ---Huh!
A new Braking record for a production car, first time in history. Viper, 100-0 274 feet , previous record holder, corvette Z06 294 feet. I believe they show the new Z06 as beating the Viper this year at 107 feet, B.S. Yea Right. What the hell are these idiots proving except their incompetence in driving and testing cars. A Viper can kill a Vette head to head, and before all you corvette guys wet your pants, I also own a vette, and love it, but there is absolutely no comparison I KNOW !!! I own BOTH! Looks or Performance!!! I'm really tired of all this hand wringing.
Let's start to deal in Facts not Fiction. We have the best Car for the money. I could have bought the new Z06 two months ago instead of my 2005 Viper, I chose the VIPER and would make the same choice again knowing everything I now know!!!!!!!!!!!
I say again Guys, look at the NUMBERS

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job SnakeEye.....Terminator comments seems to be off a bit. Look at it this way,it took Chevy 10 years to best the Viper(though not proven yet)in the speed department. The "Wow" factor they still are way behind.
Two cars off the lot, same driver, same track and at the same time of day.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have the Viper running a half second behind the Z06 in the quarte mile and costing 20 K more. How's that for progress?

this is from the same magizane that called the viper a POSER.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say again Guys, look at the NUMBERS Let me say a third time guys , look at the numbers and the Z06 doesn,t look even close to as nice as a SRT 10 and I can put my top down and go fast Too can the Z06?

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good job SnakeEye.....Terminator comments seems to be off a bit. Look at it this way,it took Chevy 10 years to best the Viper(though not proven yet)in the speed department. The "Wow" factor they still are way behind.
Two cars off the lot, same driver, same track and at the same time of day.

Mike, how come my comments seem off? I am agreeing that the viper wins in many other categories and that speed is not the only reason to get a viper. I just give chevy props for "finally" catching up and I think they did so in good fashion. But I did state I would still rather have the coupe...

edit: snakeeye was refering to the OP anyways. But I guess I am an "enthusiast" as well..i just didnt agree at all with the OP!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Give 'em both to "The Stig". That would be interesting!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a nice pic. I really like the coupe in red and silver. I dont care for it much in blue w/white stripes.

43822_2_.jpg

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i agree on that red pic. I actually love the b/w. But this pic is great. It really appears the driver and passenger side windows are smaller and that gives it a more race-like and aggressive look. The window tint only helps accentuate it.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the face to face shootout check the November 2005 issue of Automobile magazine. . . Viper didn't win. :mad: :p :( :confused:

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they were run side by side, and the Viper lost as expected.... similar power, less weight, pretty simple..... everyone who's been thinking otherwise can come up with some more excuses..... the Viper shouldn't need any excuses.... it shouldn't be getting get the beat down by a 20k cheaper Vette....

I'm ready to trade in for a 2006 Viper Coupe with 550+ HP......

The new Vette will certainly outperform your GTS, but somehow I'm guesssing you wouldn't be willing to trade.

Dirk

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Zo6 Coupe is not 20,000 dollars cheaper, I was In the showroom today and it is selling for 71900 MSRP and not a dime cheaper, as a matter of fact some dealers are selling at as much as 20,000 over this price ??????????????
Thats just few Thousand under my 2005 SRT 10 CONVERTIBLE, so lets not get so excited. Besides our cars look better, and theirs look almost like any other Vette. It' worth a few bucks more for exclusivity to me, and if it is faster so what? There will always be faster cars, I can build one for a lot less than the Viper or the vette. So love your Viper like I do and get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spirit_R