Autoweek reports ORECA prepping SRT-10's for racing...

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoweek reports ORECA prepping SRT-10\'s for racing...

"Is the Viper Back?

The second generation Dodge Viper (they mean third but anyway) could return to international racing competition, according to the French ORECA operation. Hugues de Chaunac's company, which developed the original Viper GTS-R, has revealed that it is in talks with Chrysler about restarting development work on the SRT-10. An evaluation of the car for racing was restarted in late 2000 prior to the project being cancelled the following year. "We are in close contact with Chrysler about this" said de Chaunac. "I know that they are thinking about the future and having strong memories of our successes in the past."

GO FOR IT DC!!! GO FOR IT!!!!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Autoweek reports ORECA prepping SRT-10\'s for racing...

I believe it was Sir Fang (if not, another Comp Coupe owner) that had a picture of a CC slated to go to ORECA.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe it was Sir Fang (if not, another Comp Coupe owner) that had a picture of a CC slated to go to ORECA.

i read the same thread, number 21 or 22 I recall, it should be in France by now !

nitro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i read the same thread, number 21 or 22 I recall, it should be in France by now !
Please keep us updated. I sure hope that they return to Alms and Lemans.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The car is a Comp Coupe. But they meant by an SRT body, instead of RT/10 or GTS.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man, I'm getting excited just typing about it. WHOO HOO!!!
But fellas, not to be pessimistic, but just realize we may have teething problems in the beginning, just like most race programs. But I'm ready to be optomistic and kick the [******] of the competition!!!

nitro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oreca will surely kick some ass! I wish they still had a car in the Lmp900 class like in 2001, that car was awesome and placed forth overall. Oreca was suppose to race with that car for two years but never came back after 2001. Bummer

Reaction score

DC stop the Vette and spank the Ferrari's. Some of the most enjoyable Viper Club events were with ORECA at FIA ALMS and the 24 hours of Le Mans. Bring back the ORECA/PVO team.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw a comp coupe running against the Vettes, Audis, Porsches and M3's on the speed channel yesterday at Lime Rock. He started 23rd (I think) and finished 15th. Strange thing was the guy who started in last place won the race (in an M3) Is this because there's no 'team' behind the car, and it's just an idividual racing?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viperfreak2,
What restrictions do you know of that were imposed on the Viper; i.e. smaller throttle bodies, smaller intake, smaller exhaust, reduced HP, etc., etc., etc. Don't be fooled, Corvette (GM)is not going to atop lobbying/demanding the sanctioning bodies to impose restrictions on the Viper. Check SCCA T1, for Viper restrictions.
Later,

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

AWESOME!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have no clue about the details of the car. The TV coverage didn't even mention that it was in the race. The camera panned across it at the start, showed it once or twice in the middle of the race (it got up to 9th place at one point) and then I looked for the race results at the finish. It was black with big red snake eyes over the 'headlights'. Edel Alsayed was his name I think.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AutoWeek is the entity who is misinformed on the generational specifics of the Viper, not ORECA.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lime Rock is a very smal track and smaler cars do well there. Corvettes and Viper don't have much room to hit high speeds.

BTW, they would have to make the motor cubes smaler on cc in order to compete in ALMS. The limit for GTS class is 8l which GTS Viper is.