AutoWeek SRT-10 on cover

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got it, but I have not read it yet.
The cover sounds positive.

OP
OP
J

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about putting this here please send it to the SRT area.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,

I'll be on the lookout for it when the packmule arrives at my mailbox on Monday of next week.
pissed.gif

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a generally good article. Doesn't have any performance numbers to it though. They basically like the car, but say that it was a unstoppable evolutionary type of change, not necessarily good, but destined to happen anyway. They also mentioned the cabin heat, and the need for a wide open road to really open it up as DC intended it to be driven.

Quote "If on an imaginary scale of sports car gentrification from 1 to 10, we were to say that the original Viper is a one and the Corvette Z06 is a 10(not that the Z06 is perfect:just, you know, saying), then the new Viper might be a five. Styling is a personal thing between enthusiast and icon, but to most eyes the predatory Viper look has been toned down, converging on the Jaguar/Aston/Maserati themes ubiquitous to upper-crust sports cars thses days."

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like AutoWeek has finally done a fair assessment. With their stong one sided love for the Z06, it is surprizing that they ranked this great sports car in 10th place. Their ranking of
the original Viper as #1 is right on! Even their ranking of #5 for the SRT may be about right. Since it is an excellent handling sports car with a convertible top AND 500hp, it should be rated at least twice as high as the claustrophobic, fixed roof
Z06.
Thank you AutoWeek!

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VardaMan:
It sounds like AutoWeek has finally done a fair assessment. With their stong one sided love for the Z06, it is surprizing that they ranked this great sports car in 10th place. Their ranking of
the original Viper as #1 is right on! Even their ranking of #5 for the SRT may be about right. Since it is an excellent handling sports car with a convertible top AND 500hp, it should be rated at least twice as high as the claustrophobic, fixed roof
Z06.
Thank you AutoWeek!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh VardaMan... i don't have the mag, but from what's posted from the previous thread, doesn't it sound like that from a scale of 1 to 10... that they consider 10 a perfect?!

they're quote "not that the Z06 is perfect:just, you know, saying" would sort of indicate that. again, they're not saying the Z is perfect... but i guess they are using it as a standard.

And that when they say that the old Viper as #1 on that scale... I don't think they meant "perfect."

If it really were the case where they felt the old Viper was #1 meaning "perfect" then IMO I would think that it is a slap in the face of the new SRT... to be a car that did not better itself.

Don
Z06

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After getting the true meaning of Gentrify I now have the impression that this writer has a screw loose or something. He is basically saying that the Viper is way behind compared to the Z06. Now I may not like the new look much, but it's a heck of alot better than the red headed stepchild hardtop Chevy uses as a platform for the Z06
laugh.gif

I guess it's business as usual over at Autoweek after all. Now I remember why I just let my 10 year subscription die out!

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the cover.

You must be registered for see images

Pretty good article.

Torqueasuarus seems like a good description of the car.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 1 - 10 comparison relates to sophistication, or as the article states, "sissified", and not their looks or performance. No way either Viper looks inferior to the Vette.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you not at VOI take a second look at the picture, it's one of the first to clearly show the way the fenders have been more curvey and ****** up, look back at some of your other Magazines from the last several months and you will see the difference, although I think the one doing the burnout (Road and Track0 looked like this also.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still lots of comments on excessive interior heat issues. Local San Diego paper editor also remarked on heat "coming from lots of areas" inside cockpit.
Anyone have specific information if dodge has found a cure, and just what that cure entails.
Editor said his car was not a earlier mule, but an "almost production" vehicle.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clue is in the words "almost production" Cars at VOI were not excessively hot. John Fernandez told the SRT seminars that the first 250 cars would NOT be shipped until they were PERFECT. After being in the car and hearing John talk, I am not worried about this at all, and I do have car on order. As I continue to follow the saga of the magazine tests, I wonder why I continue to buy these rags!