Aviaid Dry Sump

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with the guys at Aviaid today and confirmed that they have developed a Dry Sump system that will allow the use of the factory air conditioning. The unit works off the hub of an ATI Dampner and the pump is located below next to the oil pan. They claim the system should work for all three generations of Vipers. It's not on their website yet, but I saw a press release in "Racecar engineering".

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I worked with multiple companies for Dry Sumps on a gen-3, even offering the help in R&D to get it done. To say I have been around the bush is the understatement of the year. As far as the Gen-3 goes, I am confident in saying there is NO WAY to mount a dry sump pump while keeping the A/C, short of redesigning the timing cover configuration or mouning the pump reverse- IE, facing the engine sticking off the front. These designs however, will not be paxton SC friendly either, so there is a downside there too. There are toomany things in the way; the water pump inlet is in the way on the Pass side, and the A/C is on the way on the Driver side. The frame is in the way mouning it far off to either wise, and the alt/PS pump is in the way for mounting it high on either side. There is also no room to lower it down a little bit as the lower block boss is much lower on Gen-3 than Gen-1/2. If they actualy found a way to do it, KUDOS to them for sure- but I cant see how they could have done it short of making some sacrafice of one type or another, which we were not willing to make for one reason or another.

Not to worry Gen-3 guys, I have something in the works that should cure all Gen-3 problems and be REASONABLE in cost. As fas as gen-1/2, there is already an A/C friendly dry sump system available, it just costs an arm and a leg... so if they can beat them on price point, they should run with it.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel, they were very vague but as I stated it runs off the hub of an ATI dampner not the balancer/dampner portion. They also told me they cast a special pan, either way it should be interesting. I may cruise by their facillity next week to take a look. It should be something similar to their late model Vette dry sump system.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Daniel, they were very vague but as I stated it runs off the hub of an ATI dampner not the balancer/dampner portion. They also told me they cast a special pan, either way it should be interesting. I may cruise by their facillity next week to take a look. It should be something similar to their late model Vette dry sump system.

Definitely let me know what you find. I can certainly see a Gen-2 system working like that, but not Gen-3, there just isnt the room anywhere. We have been there, done that with the idea of driving it off the hub too, so I cant see that being the case. Perhaps they are just assuming that it will work from an outsider standpoint? If they dont work on Vipers day in and day out, they may not realize how different the gen 3's really are engine-wise, and how that impacts everything else in the vicinity. The only way you could drive the pump from the hub on a gen-3 without interference is straight down, which is just a BAD idea due to ground cleanances, and not to mention the A/C hose being in the way- and then where could you even run the hoses? Other than that, it is completely surrounded in all directions by casting, water pump, A/C, Tensionser, oil filter, etc...

Either way, I am curious. I just had another look with some optimism, but I still cant see it being possible on a Gen-3 while keeping A/C.

Last edited:

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]Company: AVIAID[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]Topic: Dodge Viper Sys [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]Aviaid Oil Systems [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]10041 Canoga Ave. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]Chatsworth, CA 91311 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman](818) 998-8991 [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]Contact: John Schwarz[/FONT]
You must be registered for see images

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]Dodge Viper System [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]AVIAID INTRODUCES DRY SUMP[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Georgia,Times New Roman]OIL SYSTEM FOR DODGE VIPERS[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Owners of all three generations of Dodge Vipers (1992 to present) can now benefit from improved power and engine reliability thanks to a new dry sump oil system developed by industry pioneer Aviaid. The company has been providing high performance lubrication solutions since 1961, and is credited with introducing dry sump technology to the automotive world.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The system features a cast aluminum pan, which contains three pickups in the sump, and a unique 4-stage pump containing one pressure section and three scavenge sections. The two pump elements are connected with a driveshaft, with a belt-drive front pulley. A special ATI Super Damper assembly is used to drive the pump. This allows retention of the OEM Viper air conditioning setup for street use.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Aviaid’s new Viper system can be configured for applications that range from “hot” street use to all-out competition. It utilizes a remote filter with a built-in regulator that allows the oil pressure to be adjusted from the engine compartment.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Variations to the system include use of a braided scavenge return manifold (as pictured) or a fabricated stainless steel manifold. A variety of sump tanks are available to suit the installation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]For additional information call 818-998-8991 or visit the firm’s data-packed website (www.aviaid.com), which also offers convenient online secure e-commerce. Literature can be obtained by writing to Aviaid Oil Systems, 10041 Canoga Ave., Chatsworth, CA 91311. Requests can be faxed to 818-998-8993.[/FONT]

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked with multiple companies for Dry Sumps on a gen-3, even offering the help in R&D to get it done. To say I have been around the bush is the understatement of the year. As far as the Gen-3 goes, I am confident in saying there is NO WAY to mount a dry sump pump while keeping the A/C, short of redesigning the timing cover configuration or mouning the pump reverse- IE, facing the engine sticking off the front. These designs however, will not be paxton SC friendly either, so there is a downside there too. There are toomany things in the way; the water pump inlet is in the way on the Pass side, and the A/C is on the way on the Driver side. The frame is in the way mouning it far off to either wise, and the alt/PS pump is in the way for mounting it high on either side. There is also no room to lower it down a little bit as the lower block boss is much lower on Gen-3 than Gen-1/2. If they actualy found a way to do it, KUDOS to them for sure- but I cant see how they could have done it short of making some sacrafice of one type or another, which we were not willing to make for one reason or another.

Not to worry Gen-3 guys, I have something in the works that should cure all Gen-3 problems and be REASONABLE in cost. As fas as gen-1/2, there is already an A/C friendly dry sump system available, it just costs an arm and a leg... so if they can beat them on price point, they should run with it.
let me know when you have something going. btw, nice website, good looking.
thanks-
gary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang