B&M shifter vs. stock

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share the results of my B&M shifter install on my 2006 coupe. First of all, the install although not extremely difficult, I would not attempt to do it again given another opportunity. Second, after the install I didn't notice any difference in throw distance.:crazy2: The shifts are more positive and the slop has been taken out of it but the throw distance is basically the same. Is this normal? I was really disappointed with the final results. Have any of you experienced the same thing?

I look forward to your responses.....this should be interesting.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forget if B&M is the maker of the Mopar shifter? If so, I noticed a drastic difference in throw length, especially going from the original truck shifter...

Here is pic of mine. It is much shorter than stock.

DSC079561.JPG

Last edited:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What shift knob are you using in conjunction with the B&M? Perhaps you need to shorten the knob or screw it down farther. On Gen II's the difference is huuuuuuge.

:usa:

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, go with the MGW short shift kit and MGW knob, I have this in my 08 ACR and it is much better than my 06(B&M).

OP
OP
H

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am using the MGW knob. However, I used this with the stock shifter as well. If I had it to do over again, I would have just installed the knob on the stock setup and been done with it. The biggest difference came from taking out the original
6-8" shift knob. Much shorter throw just from switching to the MGW knob.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the MGW and it works just great. I had to have the Band M and it is the same I can figure out how it could be a short shifter since it has to travel the same distance in the tranny. Short shifter is really just a shorter handle.

Reaction score
The MGW shifter does shorten the trow but there is only so much tunnel clearance to make this adjustment so it is small about 15%. You are correct that the only real difference felt is if the knob it self is lowered. You don't want ti too low though as the shifting gets very heavy and is quite hard to find reverse. The MGW is the only shifter out there that addresses this last point by using a dual bias spring to make the shifts positive and a light spring to make reverse easy.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's my MG shifter knob from my 98 (worked great) installed in my 01 on a B&M short shifter. I prefer the knob on stock because it's cost effective and I couldn't feel much difference over the shifter.

Putting the knob on the shifter makes it OK for me, but the wife wouldn't be able to shift because it does take a little bit of strength.

You must be registered for see images

Now I "change angle" of the knob as the mmovement/throw is insignificant. It certainly is "positive" and "solid". All gear positions are easy to find.

Ted

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MGW shifter does shorten the trow but there is only so much tunnel clearance to make this adjustment so it is small about 15%. You are correct that the only real difference felt is if the knob it self is lowered. You don't want ti too low though as the shifting gets very heavy and is quite hard to find reverse. The MGW is the only shifter out there that addresses this last point by using a dual bias spring to make the shifts positive and a light spring to make reverse easy.

Mark, would the MGW shifter make the stock knob sit lower? If yes, by how much?
Claude

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want ti too low though as the shifting gets very heavy and is quite hard to find reverse. The MGW is the only shifter out there that addresses this last point by using a dual bias spring to make the shifts positive and a light spring to make reverse easy.

Mark,

I emailed George a while back because my reverse was more difficult than I expected, after installing the MGW. He explained that since the spring has to compress twice the distance to go to Reverse from Neutral (between 3-4) that it would be much stiffer. 1-2 and 5-6 seem about equal effort, but Reverse is much stiffer. I assumed this would be where the dual-bias spring would help. Also, how much is the MGW shifter through your dealership?

Jason

Reaction score
Mark, would the MGW shifter make the stock knob sit lower? If yes, by how much?
Claude

Claude,
The shift stalk/knob will be at least 2-3" lower with the MGW shifter.

Mark,

I emailed George a while back because my reverse was more difficult than I expected, after installing the MGW. He explained that since the spring has to compress twice the distance to go to Reverse from Neutral (between 3-4) that it would be much stiffer. 1-2 and 5-6 seem about equal effort, but Reverse is much stiffer. I assumed this would be where the dual-bias spring would help. Also, how much is the MGW shifter through your dealership?

Jason

Jason,
Do you actually have the MGW shifter or just the knob??? If the knob is all then sure the reverse will be horrible since you have cut the factory leverage in half or better by lowering the knob.

If you do have it while the car is running of course it should be easy to engage the reverse. We sell them for $299 right now but the price may increase at anytime depending on material cost.

Thanks,
I have 7 on B.O. right now and waiting for the parts to come in to build the shifters at MGW.

Mark

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claude,
The shift stalk/knob will be at least 2-3" lower with the MGW shifter.

I had my dealer install the MGW shifter, and I had not received my knob yet. Reverse was considerably more difficult with just the shifter, and I couldn't honestly tell a huge difference in height with the stock knob.

Jason,
Do you actually have the MGW shifter or just the knob??? If the knob is all then sure the reverse will be horrible since you have cut the factory leverage in half or better by lowering the knob.

If you do have it while the car is running of course it should be easy to engage the reverse. We sell them for $299 right now but the price may increase at anytime depending on material cost.

Thanks,
I have 7 on B.O. right now and waiting for the parts to come in to build the shifters at MGW.

Mark

Mark, I purchased Vincy's old MGW shifter, and later on purchased Taximan's (?) MGW knob. At first, I was shocked with the location of the shifter, and the difficulty in moving it to Reverse. I emailed George, and asked if there was any way for the dealer to install the shifter backwards (having the spring for reverse actually on the left side) and George said it would be almost impossible to install it incorrectly, and that he designed the shifter to be closer to the driver.

I do like my MGW knob/shifter combination, it's just reverse was a lot stiffer than I would have expected. I thought the dual-bias spring would make the force needed to get in reverse the same as getting to 5th gear. I don't have experience with the Hurst or B&M, so they might be significantly stiffer than the MGW, and I don't have a frame of reference to compare.

I will let my friend with a 08 Viper know the status of the MGW shifters, thanks!

Jason

Reaction score
I had my dealer install the MGW shifter, and I had not received my knob yet. Reverse was considerably more difficult with just the shifter, and I couldn't honestly tell a huge difference in height with the stock knob.

Mark, I purchased Vincy's old MGW shifter, and later on purchased Taximan's (?) MGW knob. At first, I was shocked with the location of the shifter, and the difficulty in moving it to Reverse. I emailed George, and asked if there was any way for the dealer to install the shifter backwards (having the spring for reverse actually on the left side) and George said it would be almost impossible to install it incorrectly, and that he designed the shifter to be closer to the driver.

I do like my MGW knob/shifter combination, it's just reverse was a lot stiffer than I would have expected. I thought the dual-bias spring would make the force needed to get in reverse the same as getting to 5th gear. I don't have experience with the Hurst or B&M, so they might be significantly stiffer than the MGW, and I don't have a frame of reference to compare.

I will let my friend with a 08 Viper know the status of the MGW shifters, thanks!

Jason

Jason,

How low is the shift knob? If it is too low then it is still going to make it difficult.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

How low is the shift knob? If it is too low then it is still going to make it difficult.

Just the standard gripper shifter, not the shorty. I guess I was just trying to let people know that reverse wasn't going to be anywhere as easy to engage as stock, if mine wasn't an isolated case. I guess the point of the MGW is to be more positive on the 2-3 shift, while increasing shift force to move away from neutral.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone know for sure if the MGW shifter knob for gen 1-2 can be used on the stock gen 4 shifter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness