Bad computer/electrical issue

surferdudehb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 93 Viper has a check engine that comes and goes along with a misfire. After 3 months of checking the entire electrical system, my mechanic says I need a new computer. Not sure if I should spend the $4500 or just sell it. Any thoughts?

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a good PCM for cheaper, but how much for the car as is? Rear Antenna?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If you can find someone around with a DRB III and the right adapter cable you can run some tests on the car. My mom's 94 was having some misfire issues and with the tool you can individually command each coil to fire to see if the problem is somewhere in the ignition system or somewhere else. I think you can also individually fire injectors, but have to be careful with that as it will flood cylinders if you aren't careful. The tricky part with the earlier cars is they have two engine computers. Dodge didn't have one that had enough channels to fire 10 injectors and plugs, so they split it up between two computers. If I remember correctly one fires all the injectors and 2 of the coils and the other fires the other 8 coils. So even if your mechanic is telling you you need a new computer, you might need to be careful about which one you are replacing depending on what the issue really is. Dan Lesser of Viper Specialty is really well versed in the electronics on Vipers, so you might reach out to him. I'm guessing he might either have a computer handy or could possibly fix yours for cheaper.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My 93 Viper has a check engine that comes and goes along with a misfire. After 3 months of checking the entire electrical system, my mechanic says I need a new computer. Not sure if I should spend the $4500 or just sell it. Any thoughts?
If you mail your control modules here, I can tell you exactly what is going on and give you your options without any ambiguity about what is wrong or the quality of what you will receive back.

$4500 would be stretch even if you needed literally everything conceivable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21