Baking Soda for Detailing ? Calling Junkman

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine stopped by today with his nearly new Black 335i retractable top BMW. He took it to somebody for detailing and the guy told him that he used baking soda on the paint. Now the entire car looks like it has water spots that won't buff out.

Anybody ever hear of this or know how to correct it...? Junkman ?

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some pics but it looks like dime sized irregular sized blotches of missing clearcoat. I ran my fingernail over the perimeter of a few blotches and there's a fine edge... The place is called "Wax on.. Wax Off" Looks more like "Soda On... Clear coat Off" I Googled it and it looks like you can use baking soda on chrome and wheels. He's an Attorney and he's mad as hell. I recommended a body and paint guy to look at it.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would ring the guys neck that did the detailing, if he was a professional he would have machined buffed it out or at worst case wet sanded it out before giving it back to him

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if your friend plans to try and fix it himself, or is pursuing legal action, or both :dunno: If he plans to fix it himself, I'd wash it with dawn dishwashing liquid, and then try a clay bar w/detail spray... worst case, Junkman videos are your friend and time to polish. I guess anyone can call themselves a Detailer :omg:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me, if he's a GOOD Attorney he knows Exactly what to do. If it would have been me, I think that guy would still be at my house trying to figure out what the hell he did to my car before he even thinks about going anywhere. But if your friends an attorney he's probably doing it by the books, which in the long run is probably the best or at least the smartest.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's going to be wet sanding the whole car at somebody's expense.

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you snagged your fingernail on it, then he's ruined the finish and it wont polish, clay-bar or rub out. Time for a re-clear. Nearly the same as a complete paint job only no color. Same process though to correct. Good luck...

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some pics but it looks like dime sized irregular sized blotches of missing clearcoat. I ran my fingernail over the perimeter of a few blotches and there's a fine edge... The place is called "Wax on.. Wax Off" Looks more like "Soda On... Clear coat Off" I Googled it and it looks like you can use baking soda on chrome and wheels. He's an Attorney and he's mad as hell. I recommended a body and paint guy to look at it.

Let me get some clarity here. If you rub your finger tips over the spots, are they raised or lowered on the paint? That is going to be the most important thing to know before you proceed with any type of repair.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they're raised you should be able to relevel them via machine.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baking soda is non acidic ... its a base, so it wouldn't have eaten through the clear like a cola would. It is an abrasive, but can't imagine that you would eat holes in the paint with it, more likely to scratch it than anything. I would suspect that he didn't do a very good job and that there are deposits left in clumps on the car ... My guess ... clay would take it off, but probably needs some correction after that.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started to suggest claybar but figured that it has no real abrasive properties. I just picked up a Meguiars kit with a gift certificate that I won at a cruise night so I guess we'll give it a shot.

viperv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baking soda was a aide in helping removing car waxes, I used it allready and never had spots show up, someone was probally improperly inform on the usage,

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that baking soda could damage a modern cars clear coat to the point of actually eating it away under any circumstances.
I'll bet the spots will come out if clayed properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte